“Wish I could have stayed longer!”

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas, United States
“Wish I could have stayed longer!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I felt welcome right away. The front office staff, valet, restaurant, room service, housekeeping and even management made me feel welcome from the moment I walked in the hotel. My room was spotless and I felt safe and secure the entire time. It was also close enough to the action on 6th street and downtown Austin that I could walk to and enjoy it, but far enough away that I didn't hear any of the noise associated with the partiers. I also enjoyed the view of the State Capitol from my window.

Beautiful hotel - I would recommend it to anyone who needs a place to stay in Austin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Good Morning Sandy R,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your business and outstanding comments in regards to our team, location, and product/amenities. Our team takes tremendous pride in providing superior service and ensuring we exceed your expectations every visit you have to Austin. Please contact me directly for future reservations and/or any specical requests you might have so I may be of service to you. Thank you again for your loyalty and have a great week!

Blake Doran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This property was a conference planner's choice, but that's not to say I wouldn't have picked it myself. Rooms were average, i.e. furnishings, etc. Decor throughout was nice. I thought the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was a little small, while the rest of the room was spacious.

My staff experience was mixed. I arrived in Austin early and took a chance on a room being available before check-in time. One of the other conference goer's got the last available room, which would have been OK, but I waited in line for quite awhile to learn this. A staffer offered to take me up to the atrium level to relax. The one thing I didn't like was that rather than checking me in and offering to call or come get me when a room became available, I had to return on my own, only to wait in another line and have others who came an hour after me get a room first.
One other not-so-positive experience was with the bell/door staff. I called down about getting a taxi and was told that it wasn't a problem, they'd have one waiting for me when I got downstairs in 10 minutes. When I made it downstairs, there was no cab and it didn't seem to be the young man's priority to get me one. I had to ask several times while I saw cabs pass by on the street.

The catering staff was really nice, professional and helpful. I also appreciated the mixture of buffet choices that were offered or perhaps picked by my conference hosts. I'm a pseudo-vegetarian, so it can be hit or miss eating at gatherings.
The other saving grace was one of the assistant managers who checked me out. He helped me 'fix' a billing issue I forgot to address on the front end and was receptive to comments on my check-in experience. Since this was one small issue, and the only reason for my "average" rating, I would definitely recommend this property for future stays, just hail your own cab!

One other thing, if anything big is happening downtown with street closures or an exceptionally large convention, be prepared for traffic with the property being at the corner of a major outbound thoroughfare.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear DonnaR66,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us and we truly appreciate your wonderful comments! I also appreciate your feedback which gives us the opportunity to improve our early check in process to assist our guests better. I apologize for the delay on getting you to your room quicker and I understand being on the road how important it is to be able to get checked in efficiently and fast. We will change our process immediately to ensure we meet your expectations. Thank you for your business and I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

First time in Austin and stayed here over the weekend. Room was adequate and the front staff were very helpful, friendly and accommodating for our needs and questions, particularly Michelle. Would definitely stay here again. Also a great location and convenient downstairs store.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear K M,

Thank you for your great review from your most recent stay and our team was excited to see your comments! We are a team that focuses on providing superior service and ensuring you are 100% satisfied with your entire stay. We look forward to seing you on your next stay and please let us know how we may be of service,

Always at your service,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the HGI Downtown /Convention Center to be within walking distance of a number of meetings I was having, and to be within walking distance of the Congress Street Bridge. As a Hilton Honors member, I got a nice upgraded room on a high floor. I am not a fan of the new HGI beds, but I thought the room was spacious and had a large bathroom. As always, the room and bathroom were very clean and tidy.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful - so much so that I felt compelled to call Hilton Honors and COMPLIMENT them - now that's a first!

The hotel is an easy walk from Congress Street Bridge, just off of 6th Street, which is fun, and a quick trip to and from the airport. The pool is small, but it's SO cool looking...and doesn't get any sun. It's true. It's just on the wrong side of the building...

As for the people complaining about not getting checked-in for their rooms until later in the evening...I'm not sure I'd expect a different experience during Austin City Limits, when the city is packed to the brim with tourists...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SpinningNinny
Good Morning SpinnyNinny,

Thank you for your outstanding review and comments from your most recent stay with us! We truly appreciate your business and I am very pleased to hear that our amazing team took care of you. That is our mission, to provide exceptional guest service to you each and every time you stay with us! I will reward Ms. Michelle as well and thank yoiu for pointing her out in your review. If there is anything that I can do for you - make future reservations and/or assist with special requests, please let me know. I look forward to seeing you soon and have a great week!

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Such a great hotel! Beautiful views of the sunrise from our room. Perfect location! 6th street is right there. Best valet! I couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel. So outstanding. The employees at the front desk were helpful and kind. I do wish the rooms had regular coffee, decaf does nothing for me.

• Stayed October 2012
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Nicole B,

Thank you for your outstanding review from your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your business and loyalty! Our excellent team members will always be at your service to ensure you have an extraordinary experience. We look forward to seeing you in the future and thank you again.

England
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Working in Austin Convention Centre so the hotel is very convenient as it is just about one minutes walk away. Not up to the usual Hilton standards! The double room is big but the bathroom is a little small. The bed is very comfortable. The furniture is dated and some of the drawers will not stay shut. There is no room safe for your valuables, which is a big minus point for me as i need to lock my passport away safely and not have to carry it with me all the time. No shaving mirror. Maybe a little pickie and i know the Americans love their coffee but there are no tea bags in the room! Breakfast was very good and a reasonable price at $14. Room service was ok as the room was cleaned well. 3 out of 5 is about right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Wesley W
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Sambrero,

Thank you for your feedback and comments from your most recent stay. Many of the items you mentioned are items that our brand will not approve to have placed in our guest rooms, but your feedback allows us to present our case to the brand to make a dfiference. We are a very unique Hilton Garden Inn and take tremendous pride in our product and services provided to each guest and traveler. It is our promise to ensure we deliver exceptional guest service to exceed your expectations. There are many choices here in Austin, and for our price point, complimentary WIFI access, cook to order breakfast, oversized desks in all guest rooms, microwaves/Fridges in all guest rooms, sercure parking, and having the best staff in Austin - we have the upper edge in Austin and we want to see you back! Please let me know if there is ever anything that I can do to be of service.

Best Regards,

White Oak, Georgia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The hotel is very nice. Restaurant breakfast is awesome with some local heat added to the eggs. The bar or the top floor had a beautiful view, great service and reasonable prices. Rooms are average size with large flatscreen TV. Comfortable beds and great maid service. Within walking distance to all the bars, clubs and diners you would need.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chuck S
Good Morning Chuck31568,

Thank you for your oustanding review from your most recent stay with us and we appreciate your business! We are a unique Hilton Garden Inn that provides excellent guest service and at a great price point compared to all the full service hotels in downtown Austin. 18th Over Austin, our restaurant, lounge and bar does have the best view in the city and we welcome everyone to come experience an outstanding cook to order breakfast or an amazing cocktail beverage during happy hour to view the entire City of Austin. I look forward to seeing you soon and please let me know how I may be of service at anytime.