Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 204 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The hotel is very nice. Restaurant breakfast is awesome with some local heat added to the eggs. The bar or the top floor had a beautiful view, great service and reasonable prices. Rooms are average size with large flatscreen TV. Comfortable beds and great maid service. Within walking distance to all the bars, clubs and diners you would need.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chuck S
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Good Morning Chuck31568,

Thank you for your oustanding review from your most recent stay with us and we appreciate your business! We are a unique Hilton Garden Inn that provides excellent guest service and at a great price point compared to all the full service hotels in downtown Austin. 18th Over Austin, our restaurant, lounge and bar does have the best view in the city and we welcome everyone to come experience an outstanding cook to order breakfast or an amazing cocktail beverage during happy hour to view the entire City of Austin. I look forward to seeing you soon and please let me know how I may be of service at anytime.

Blake Doran

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Austin with my wife and other family members. First off be careful when selecting which Hitlon you want to stay at, there are 4 all within 10 miles of eachother! There is a standard Hilton around the block, which is more luxurious. The weekend we stayed at the H.G.I. downtown, every other hotel was sold out downtown due to some events.

THE GOOD...
Location... This hotel is a 1 min walk to 6th street. 6th street is where all the action is downtown. All shops, restaurants, bars, bands, etc are found here. It was nice to not have to utilize cabs on this trip. We walked everywhere. Also, hotel was just off main highway to airport. Just a 12 min drive.

The room... The room was very nice. The bed was amazing, havent slept that well in a long time. The curtains provide complete blockage of any sunlight, which also helps with a great sleep. Everything appeared modern and very clean.

The staff... From check in to check out, the staff was always happy to help.

18th floor... The 18th floor has a lounge, bar, restaurant. The brunch is excellent.

THE BAD

Property... I will start with the pool. Its increadbily small and there is no good place to layout. The building will block just about all sunlight. Plus on 4 or 5 people could lay around the pool. The hot tub is more the size of a bathtub. It appears like the hotel wanted to add a pool, just for the sake of saying they had a pool, but didnt have the room. It was drained and closed during our visit even though the weather was near 90. Not sure why.

There is a "riverwalk" area behind the hotel. But its a bit shady and dirty. At night its not lit up very well and its decorated with "fake rock" that is falling apart. The decking was completely covered with pigeion droppings. The entire back side of the hotel appears not to be maintained. Frankly, at night i dont recommend walking that way.

All in all.... this is a nice hotel, close to the action and the airport. If you want a high end luxury stay downtown Austin, try the Omni, Intercontinental, or the Driskill. If you want a more affordable option to those hotels, then this should satisfy your needs nicely.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank krippelz3

Dear Kripplez3,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to submit your review and we truly appreciate your business! Location is the key in the City of Austin and we have an amazing location that offers a great experience to any traveler visiting. Thank you for commenting on our excellent team members and services provided. We are here to provide extraordinary stays and become your personal assistant to ensure you have the most productive and relaxing trip away from home. In regards to our pool, we do have a European Wading Pool and it is currently being remodeled to improve the appearance and ambiance feel. Waller Creek, which you referred to has been under construction for over a year now and the City of Austin is completly changing this image by creating a mini San Antonio Riverwalk - the plans are amazing and you are going to love the vibe this is going to bring to our hotel and downtown. Your feedback is critical and it is a perfect example that we listen and make changes based off your comments/feedback. We will continue to look for opportunities to improve our services and products for you. Please contact me at anytime because our team and I would love to see you back!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I arrived at this hotel around 10pm with one goal, sleep. Check in was busy but the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. I boarded the elevator with a woman wearing a very skimpy outfit and her male companion who tried to convince me to use my key to get them on a different floor. I faked confusion to decline and rushed to my room. The room was of average condition and not as clean as I would have liked. The biggest issue was the sound of live music from 6th street until 2am!!! Luckily I travel with earplugs so it wasn't the end of the world. However, I've stayed at the Hilton which is a few blocks away and closer to 6th street and haven't had this problem so I will be there next time I'm in town. The only advantage of this hotel over the Hilton is the Hilton Garden Inn adjustable beds which are always amazing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank netgrl22

Dear Netgrl22,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us and we appreciate your business. Everyone loves the Garden Sleep System beds and we are excited that you were able to experience them. Our staff is always ready to be at your service and become your personal assistant for any needs you might have. In regards to the live music on 6th street, please understand that we can always arrange a different location for your guest room so that you do not have to utilize the Hilton on future stays. We are currently working with the City of Austin on noise ordinances becuase this comes up from time to time, depending on what is going on in the city, but we can always make this right to ensure you recieve a great nights sleep. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to seeing you return very soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I recently stayed at The Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown during the ACL festival weekend. It was a really decent location within walking distance to a lot that Austin has to offer. Teh room was typical hotel but clean and comfortable and a great retreat after the long days of crowds and music at Zilker park. Our rate included daily breakfast which was abundant to say the least.
The best part of this hotel however was the staff. from check in to check out we were greeted with smiles, hellos, and willingness to help. The front desk staff were great and so welcoming. The valet staff were quick to get you a cab and get you on your way. The housekeepeing staff always said hello when passing in the hallways.The Breakfast staff were SO great, always so friendly and kept the coffee coming! we had an incident in our room which required an early morning visit from the maitenence team and i must say that Damien was just a huge help in our hour of need!
There's really nothing to complain about at all. We really had a nice time in Austin and were happy to have the Garden Inn as our home away from home!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Good Afternoon Shelby B,

We are pleased to hear about your excellent stay and cannot thank you enough for your business and wonderful review! Service is more critical than ever and our team strives on providing exceptional guest service. Our team is driven and understands the needs of our travelers by customizing each guest stay. Please contact me at anytime for future reservations and/or special requets and I look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn while attending a conference in the nearby convention center. For ease of access you can really only do better by staying at the 'proper' Hilton or Marriot hotels nearby. My group found the staff helpful and friendly at checkin and the rooms were spacious and well equipped. The provision of a proper Herman Miller desk chair is a nice touch for a venue which appears to cater more to business guests and I certainly appreciated having a proper chair to work in during convention downtimes.

A couple of niggles, one being that the bed had a fitted sheet over the mattress which was obviously too small and so kept coming loose overnight. Also the airconditioning seemed to work on the principle of frequent, strong blasts of cooling rather than a constant, quiet flow so until you get used to it the a/c can seem a bit loud while it's on.

One big positive to end on is that one of my colleagues lost his passport on departure and on calling the hotel the staff immediately checked the room and found it. As far as the helpfulness of the staff is concerned our experience was definitely not the same as that of other reviewers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Arend S,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your stay and we truly appreciate your excellent review! Our team takes tremendous pride on delivering exceptional guest service to all and we understand the importance of providing wonderful service and amenities to our travelers. Our mix of travelers will find our property unique, service driven, and located in the heart of downtown that gives you the ability to experience Austin to the fullest. Meetings or Leisure - we are your choice out of many becuase we are at your service. Thank you for your business and the team and I look forward to seeing you back soon. Please contact me directly for future reservations or special requests and have a wonderful week!

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were in a large group and booked 16 rooms almost a year in advance. Our rooms were guaranteed at 3:00 but I didn't get a room until 6:00. We sat and waited around 3 hours. We had booked all rooms in a group but they split us up between different floors.

We also booked a room for our group to meet in and we kept our raffle ticket items in there as well. Staff members were the only ones with keys and overnight several items were stolen. The most expensive being a Chi flat iron.

The staff was incredibly rude and unprofessional. Hilton is supposed to be a trustworthy chain with high standards, but after my visit I am reluctant to ever recommend this location.

The one positive thing I can add...the beds were comfortable. But if you want a comfy bed, just stay at a Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Whitners_48

Dear Whitners_48,

I sincerely apologize for the service issues you encountered during your most recent stay with us. I have personally addressed each one with the specific department and team member to ensure we eleveate our levels of service to exceed your expectations. From the moment you arrive to the day of your departure, it is our promise for you to have a 100% satisfactory stay each and every time. Our sales team has been in contact with you as well to make this right and I can assure you that we will always take these opportunities to improve our services and products for you. Please contact me at anytime for anything you might need so we may be at your service.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

After lodging several formal complaints, I'm leaving this as a review.

I stayed at the Austin Garden Inn a few weeks ago. Upon leaving, I managed to leave an item there a cell phone battery and charger to be exact. I called the property, and I was directed to call their Housekeeping unit in order to check the lost and found.

After 15 phone calls which all went to voice mail (and were all unreturned) by myself and my significant other, I still haven't heard from the hotel. I have contacted the hotel manager by email (unreturned) and phone (voicemail, unreturned). Now I understand, my item was small and likely to never be seen again. But I at elast would like to have spoken with someone to TELL me that. Someone who could at least LOOK and say "No, I'm sorry, we don't have it." This is a terrible way to treat a customer. Not even a return call to acknowledge I exist. The front desk has not been able to help me, and no one even acknowledges I have a complaint or issue.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I will not be staying at a Hilton Garden Inn ever again, and I'm very wary about staying at any other Hilton properties. If this is how customer concerns are treated, then I'll take my business to Marriott instead.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fitzroy M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Good Morning Sir,
We certainly do appreciate you staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, I do apologize for the lack of response to your lost item. I do understand the frustration you experienced not knowing whether your item was recovered or not. I have spoken with our lost and found department and I was informed that your item was found and has been shipped to the address on file for you.