“You Pay for the Opulence”

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #46 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlottesville, Virginia
“You Pay for the Opulence”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here while attending a conference across the street at the Convention Center. Your basic really expensive "big box" hotel with lots of people in uniforms running around. Room was quite large with a great view of the city. Located in the great downtown area of Austin. I felt like I was paying for all of the opulence, which I can do without. Staff was cordial if a bit "snooty". Would only stay here again for the convenience to downtown and/or convention center.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear JeffM,

We appreciate your review from your most recent stay with us and thank you for your business! Providing superior service and ensuring that you can count on us, is our number one priority. It is our Brand Promise that we deliver 100% satisfaction and I would like to discuss our opportunities with you at your earliest convenience. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I look forward to speaking with you.

At your service,

Blake Doran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Recently had a long weekend at this hotel. We were disappointed. When we booked a downtown hotel at the convention rate we got, we expected a lot more. This property seems a little blah even for a Hilton property.

It is clean. The valet attendants were friendly and helpful. The location was pretty good. That's all the good I can say.

It will make me rethink even booking a Hilton Garden in the future. The Hilton Garden Inns I have stayed at before were nicer all around. I prefer a couple of Hampton Inns in other cities I would gladly stay in again over this tier hotel. I would call it a lower 3 star property.

The room was clean, but the sleep number beds and linen quality were lacking. The decor was boring. The furnishings were average. I really tried to put my finger on what was missing and never really could. I think it was all the little things that didn't add up. Even the information cards with requests for linen changes, television channels, etc. were poor quality and very used. There was new carpet in our room. The bathroom had new wallpaper. But there was no artwork on the walls and our room still had popcorn ceilings. Friends we were with had the same impressions. It was very standard and nothing special. The common areas were just that too, pretty common.

The bar on the 18th floor had a nice view of downtown but not one beer on tap. ???
They seemed short staffed. It was not crowded either night we went up before leaving for dinner. We had to ask for bar snacks and were obliged.

There were no vending machines on the floors, you have to go to the poorly stocked snack area near the desk. This is not my experience at other hotels of this brand.

Another thing that was really odd was the number of times I was on the elevator with either a housekeeping attendant and cart (3 times), maintenance (2 times), valet and kitchen staff (2 times). I guess I have never before considered the utility for a service elevator.

I might choose this property for an overnight because it fits my standard for cleanliness.
But that's it. It was so lackluster that I notice my face is grimaced as I try to explain it. It is certainly not a place I am accustomed to for a couples weekend or a base for exploration with older kids. If you get a good rate it may be worth it for a night. But don't pay a downtown rate or you will be sorely disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon SP243,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us and we appreciate your feedback provided to help us improve our products and services for you. I would like to speak with you personally so that I may deliver our promise to make this right for you on all future stays to Austin. I truly apologize for not creating an extraordinary stay for you and I will address each item brought to our attention. Thank you again and I look forward to speaking with you!

At your service,

California
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'm at the Hilton Garden Inn now. I am staying here only because it was the preferred hotel for the event I am attending. The facility is okay, though it is showing signs of age. The service, though, is disappointing. Hotel staff forget to follow-up on things, don't greet guests when they meet them in the hallway, don't pick up leftover room service articles from the hallways in a timely manner, etc. etc. There are no major issues, but many minor ones. The good news for the hotel: if they retrained their staff, they could fix most of it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear seek_quality,

Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was staying here for business. However our office was right on the outskirts of Austin, and I wanted to stay downtown. And for that purpose it was great. Very close to 6th St and plenty of eating options close by.

As for the actual hotel itself, well I would have to say nothing really 'WOW'ed'. It was ok, and not really any complaints, but there was nothing special to note either.

Breakfast (which was included in my rate) was ok. BTW, the reception forgot to tell me that breakfast was included, and didn't give me any vouchers. So I went out and bought my breakfast the first morning. So they lose points here for attention to detail (which actually cost me money).

My only real complaint, was that the aircond. was right above the bed, and blew cold air onto me all night. So unless I was rugged up right under the blanket, I often woke up cold. But because it was so hot in Austin at that time of year, I could turn the aircon off either.

In summary, would probably return to the HGI, but only because of the location.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner room, that has a view to the city..
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Good Morning sventhor,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us and we appreciate your business and commenting on our great location in Austin Downtown. Our team and I apologize for not communicating to you about your breakfast being included in your rate plan you reserved and we have conducting a training course with each front desk agent to execute all benefits are guest recieve at check in. If there is anything that we can do to be of service or assist you with future requests, please let us know. I look forward to seeing you in the future and have a great day!

phoenix, MD
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Where to start?...Everyone is very nice but most are not very competent or knowledgeable. Clock radio broken, bed adjustment feature broken on both beds. Maid service was poor - they kept missing things that should have been cleaned or restocked. Coffee in the room was pretty good, but what they served for free in the lobby was horrid. Pool is very tiny. Hot tub is fine and the combo looks great when the waterfall is running. Food from the hotel catering was great. I didn't try the restaurant. Meeting rooms are located in some very weird places and some are difficult to get to. No windows can be opened in the rooms so the rooms are very stuffy, air conditioning and fan are rather loud. Only nice view out of 1 side of the hotel. Parking is expensive. Would never recommend this for anything but business.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Good Afternoon hairywater,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us. We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nothing special but nothing terrible. Breakfast is not included but should be. Bed was hard but okay. Room was very nice and clean. Location was very good for access to the convention center and a short walk to the downtown metro/bus station.

Good Afternoon SRKauafman,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your business and feedback provided. Our Brand (Hilton Garden Inn) is not able to include breakfast in our rates, unless booked under the bed and breakfast package on our website. Please check out our website for future stays and opportunities to utilize our packages to have great amenities included in your room rate. Thank you again for your business and I look forwad to seeing you in the future.

Foster City, California, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was a little worried about staying at the Garden Inn when the "Hilton" is right next door. This place has 18 stories, a large breakfast buffet on the 18th floor. Service is great. I had to change rooms due to the bathroom not working. The guy came up right away with a new key and walked me to my new room and settled me in. Excellent service. Everything is nice and clean and neat. During the day it's a bit nosey to due the outside traffic and downtown noises but nights were quiet. Close to downtown and you can walk to local places to eat and bars.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Good Morning FCtraveler,

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity when you had many choices in the city of Austin. The team and I truly appreciate your positive feedback and are excited to see you back in the future. Our Hilton Garden Inn property is unique in so many ways and our #1 priority is providing excellent service to you each and every time you stay with us. I look foward to providing exceptional service to you in the future and please let us know if we can ever be of assistance for any special requests you might have. Thank you again, and have a wonderful day!