Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center
GreenLeadersGold level
Frisco, Texas
“Tired”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

This hotel is tired. The corridor walls need a fresh coat of paint and the rooms are outdated and not clean. I checked in and after much thought, checked out a few hours later. The rooms smell. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the front desk and they acted offended and did not apologize nor did they care. Go to the real Hilton up the street.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Good Morning A J:

Thank you for taking your time to respond to Trip Advisor from your most recent stay with us. I truly apologize for our mistake and I understand your frustrations in regards to the odor in your guest room. I have personally addressed this with our Housekeeping and Engineering teams to ensure that we do not have an odor in our guest rooms. I would love to have another opportuity to invite you back to our property to have an amazing experience. Pleaes contact me at your earliest convenience so that I can make this right for you. I look forward to hearing from you and have a great day!

At your service,

Blake Doran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed here while working the ACL festival in September. It's a nice establishment and most of the staff was really nice and helpful. The only issue I had was with the room key cards. I had to have them changed five differant times due to them not working on the door.Several times while staying on the sixteenth floor, the key worked on the elevator but didn't work on the room door. So, I had to go back down and get it redone and then go back up. All this after working eighteen hours. That's a little fustrating. All in all, not a bad place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Dear Quetzalcoyote:

Thank you for your business and I am truly sorry for your keys not working properly throughout your stay during the ACL event. I understand your frustrations you had with having to come back to the front desk to have your keys re-made and the time you had to waste to complete this task. Because of this occuring I am going to have our key and door lock system evaluated to see if we can repair or upgrade our system to eliminate this annoyance that was caused to you. I sincerely apologize for our mistake with the keys and if there is ever anything that I can do to be of service, please let me know at anytime. I look forwad to seeing you in the future and have a great weekend!

Lake Conroe, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This hotel was fast, clean and on top of it's game. Located within walking distance to all of the activities on 6th street and the convention center. Great staff.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Texanime:

We truly appreciate your busines and wonderful feedback provided from your most recent stay with us. Our goal is to be the cleanest and friendliest hote in town to ensure your stay is extraordinary each and every time. We are glad that you liked our location which gave you the ability to experience Austin in a different way. If there is ever anything that I can do to be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me diretly at anytime. I look forward to seeing you in the future and have a wonderful day!

New York
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Went to the ACL Music Festival and throughly enjoyed our vist to Austin. The Hilton Garden Inn was in close proximately to Sixth Street where all the bars and restaurants were located. At night this street appears to be full of young adults from the nearby University which almost gave me the feeling that I was in New Orleans. But nevertheless we managed to have a great time on Sixth Street even though as mature adults we wanted a less hectic atomosphere. The hotel was clean and the housekeeping staff was friendly. On the day we checked in we were pleasantly greeted and quickly checked in. At the time the front desk was not busy. During our stay we ate breakfast and our other meals out not knowing that there was a restaurant on the 18th floor with a spectacular view of the city. Apparently instead of orienting us to the facilities of the hotel, the front desk never mentioned what we could enjoy at the Hilton Gardens. We actually became aware of the hotel restaurant on our last morning there when we went exploring the hotel and stopped on the 18th floor. There iwe found a lounge for drinks which we would have loved to have known and a nice size restaurant which also serves breakfast but I believe closes by 10am.

The pool is in a gated area and it is a small pool with a jacuzzi next to it. It closes at 11PM so we did get to go in and relax abit before we either called it a night or went out for a drink, dinner or a food truck run. There seems to be plenty of great food truck venders late at night wit plently of delicious choices. Our favorite was the "Coreanos."

Nearby the hotel there is a restaurant called El Sol y La Luna which had a great breakfast menu. All in all we had a nice stay at the Hotel but do wish the staff could have reminded us of their amenities. One of the things I noticed that the TV in our room was not a flat screen but on the day we were leaving they were scheduled to install new flat screen tv's. A small refrigerator and coffee maker can be found in the room and they also have available coffee and lemon iced water in the lobby for guests which is nice feature.

Room Tip: Try not to face the sixth street side as it can be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Good Morning DoriM821:

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us and we are excited that you had an amazing stay in Austin. We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding our hotel, amenities, and service. We have high expectations to ensure we deliver superior service and that you have a outstanding experience. If you have any special requests or need any assistance with future stays, please contact me directly at anytime. I look forward to seeing you in the future and have a wonderful weekend!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 22, 2011

When I travel, I generally look for full service or boutique hotel properties, especially for work. For this trip to Austin, almost nothing was available at the Federal per diem rate because of a city wide convention (that I was not in town for), so I chose the Hilton Garden Inn. The HGI is conveniently located to almost everything in downtown Austin, including the State capitol, the University of Texas, and the Austin Convention Center.

The hotel is located on 5th Street, next to I-35. As a result, I had concern both about traffic noise and about bar and club noise from 6th Street. While there was a little traffic noise in my room (facing the highway on the 11th floor), I heard nothing from 6th Street and realized that that part of my concern was unfounded as the hotel is a few blocks from the main club and bar area. To solve the road noise issue, I set my AC fan to on (instead of auto) and used the white noise to drown out the cars (which weren't terribly loud to begin with).

Otherwise, the hotel is exactly what you expect from a mid-level, non-full service property except that the HGI has a couple of features you do not find at most Courtyard by Marriott or other HGI properties. One was the restaurant on the 18th floor. For breakfast, this is a great spot. The continental buffet was about $9 and had plenty of cereal, oatmeal, pastry, and fruit options.

The room was clean and well put together. I found a little damage in the area around the refrigerator, took a picture of it, and reported it to the front desk. While the room itself was large (1116), the bathroom was tiny. It was fine my my individual needs, but could be tight with 2 or more people.

As for the staff, most, if not all, were excellent. I did, however, have an issue with the front desk upon arrival. I arrived early (about 11:30) and did not expect my room to be ready as Austin City Limits had just ended. My room was not ready, but I was given a room number, a key, and told to call back around 1. I went off to lunch and when I called back around 1, was told my room was still not ready. This was not a problem, expect that one of my colleagues had arrived after me and was checked into her room. Around 1:30 or so, we headed back to the hotel and asked the front desk again. The gentleman working (whose name I do not recall) said that rooms were still not ready, please check back at 3. Ok, I get that, they were sold out the previous night, but at the same time I was being told to come back, another front desk agent was checking people into rooms! At this point, I got in line for the other agent and was immediately switched to a clean room. This appears to be a training issue for some, not all of the front desk. Otherwise, all of my interactions with employees were great.

Irvine, California
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Good and clean hotel in a good location near downtown. Lobby is pretty sparse and cold.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Good Evening alexmkaplan:

Thank you for your review from your most recent stay with us and I truly appreciate your business and loyalty. We are here at your service to provide you with an extraordinary stay each and every time. In regards to our lobby, we are going to be conducting a refresh to change the image and bring more amenities and services to our lobby that will better suit your business and leisure needs with a expanded business center link, larger corner pantry, coffee and cookie bar, more soft seating, and possibly a lobby bar that will be inviting to all. I appreciate your feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the future. If there is ever anything that I can do to be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at anytime. Have a great evening!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Hilton Mgt. please open your ears, the hotel is well located and the property is kept in good shape, but please explain why there is no self parking. Why do people have to pay the $26 valet fee?

I attended a seminar in Austin and stayed at the Hilton for 2 days, when I checked out I was hit with a $56 Valet charge. I don't like to complain and paid the fee but I honestly think you will not get a lot of repeated customers. The location is great, the front desk personnel were very helpful and polite.

People if you are looking for a clean/well located hotel with a $26/per day valet charge this is it. One other thing call about 10mins ahead of time so your car can be ready for you when you are ready to leave!

Room Tip: "Get a room with a Bath Tub,some rooms do not have tub or glass enclosures water from shower wi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerDallas, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Good Morning JessieTX:

Thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our hotel's clean and crisp condition and for our superior service provided to you throughout your stay. We value your business and will take your feedback very seriously. Our valet parking situation has been under evaluation with a market anaylsis and is almost complete. I understand your frustrations with the only option of valet and are looking at multiple options to help you and others out by possibly offering a self park option or reduce the cost of our valet. Again, thank you for your business and I look forwad to seeing you in the future. Have a great day!