“What a delightful and friendly place- We loved it!!”

Lake Austin Spa Resort
Ranked #60 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed December 10, 2009

From the minute we walked thru the entrance of the Spa, I felt, so comfortable, totally at home. The grounds are so well kept and the spa as a whole has such a casual and yet elegant feel to it. I quickly discovered that while this is a world class spa, yet it is not pretentious or stuffy in any way. It's a place where one can be comfortable.

Upon arriving, we went to the registration desk where we were warmly greeted by two of the employees (as they continued to do so, every day that we were there). All the people who worked at the spa were very friendly and yet willing to do anything they could to help us (I mentioned at one point that i could not find my sunglasses, and one person immediately ran to the area that i had been 5 minutes earlier to look for them).

Thats the way it was for our entire stay. Everyone had time to be with us, talk with us, and help us if we needed it. ( I will say that having come at a very quiet time really helped as the number of guests were less then usual, which i enjoyed. ) The place is very easy to be at. For instance, meals can be taken either in the main dining area or at the restaurant at the day spa or you can order your meals via room service- there is no surcharge if you don't use the main dining hall. We generaly had our meals in the dining area as we liked to meet other guests ( most easily done on the walks and at meals).

Regarding the meals, initially I was concerned that the food might be too rich. After talking to the chef at one of the weekly cooking demos, I realized that the food was not as rich as I had thought. I liked that he was always looking for substiutes for rich creams,butter and other foods that i try to avoid.

Several of the spaces like the library and the "living room" areas were gorgeous. The library has glass windows on 3 sides and is an example of true elegance in design. While sitting there, one looks out over hills, the Colorado river and gardens. A nice place to just hang out and read

In summary, the spa is a combination of tasteful design, casual elegance and Texan friendliness

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UpstateNewYork1

Reviewed October 21, 2009

I am a frequent visitor to the Lake Austin Spa Resort, both as an overnight guest and a day spa guest. I am always amazed at the beauty of the grounds the attention to detail in all of the common areas. The lake is the perfect backdrop not to mention a great source of water activities. The rooms are all spotlessly clean with superior linens and bath products. The food is incredible and the variety on the menu based on the food in season is always a treat. The spa is phenomenal with my personal favorite treatment being the river rock massage. Aaron, the acupuncturist is a gentle and intuitive. The staff is always happy meet your every need but usually anticipates them before you can ask. The programs and classes are plentiful, informative and well presented. I just can not wait for my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Oh, how I love my Lake Austin Spa and Resort! Everything about this place is right on the money. Great staff, classes, food, amenities - fabulous spa services. Just wish I could stay longer - or even better - live here!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Made reservations based on web site special. Reserved ultimate pkg for two days, check in on a sun. and get two days free. when i checked in i learned that it did not include spa services for the extra two days, only room and food. Exclusion never noted on web. I was going to try to renegotiate with front desk check in, but guy was clueless as to rates/specials and called in the manager. He was rude and pompous beyond my patience, (Have only experienced such arrogance at 5 star hotels in Italy which i have also given up on) especially after having flown in from Mass. and driven two hrs to this "top" destination spa. i was so offended by his communication with me that I left. i was not impressed by what I saw. the location 45 min. outside of austin is not conducive to sightseeing in austin. the "lake" for a New Englander is just a small dammed river! the location at the end of housing developments, off a public parking lot was unexpected, along with the motor court rooms facing the resort parking lot. For $800. a day one expects perfection. I've experienced better at $400. night including spa services along with polite, pleasant staff. Needless to say i was so looking forward to this vacation. I ended up checking in to the Four Seasons in austin ( have never stayed at one before) and was so relieved and impressed for what i got for $289.00 !!!!! Of course
it was not the "spa" environment i was planning on but their own day spa was one of the best i have ever experienced and reasonably priced. As a customer I want to be valued ; it's as simple as that and i did not get that feeling when i tried to check in at the Austin Lake spa.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
12  Thank BostonGilligan
lakeaustinspa, Manager at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2009

Our packages include a total spa and fitness allowance to be used at the guest’s discretion during their stay; there is no “daily” allowance in our regular or special packages and thus no “exclusion”. We have reviewed all communications with this guest and confirmed that she was given the details of her package - including the total amount of spa allowance for her stay - on the phone, in a follow up email and in a written confirmation mailed to her.

Our staff values every guest that stays with us and strives to treat everyone with professionalism and respect. We’re sorry to hear that a guest perceived any employee to be “clueless”, “rude” or “pompous”.
We also regret that this guest did not stay long enough to see anything of the property beyond our small parking lot and front desk. We feel that given the opportunity, she would have discovered for herself why the peaceful property within our gates has been consistently ranked one of the top destination spas in the world by readers of Condé Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure.

While most guests enjoy our scenic location and destination spa experience, we realize that our property is not a fit for everyone. We’re glad this guest was able to find more suitable accommodations for the type of vacation she was looking for.

Reviewed October 1, 2009

I love this place!!!!!!! Have been 3 times, just gets better !!!!! I work at a top rated spa ,so I would know !!!!!!!! My sister and I travel together,and have been all over the world,we always come back to nirvana !!!!!!!! (no loud children at the pool !! we love that !!!!!) Food, room, staff, All perfect !!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I am lucky enough to live within driving distance of the spa, so I visit the day spa side every three months. I and my friends have had some wonderful service experiences, and a couple of misses, but since we go so often we've learned who to ask for and we're passing those tips on to you.

1) When you are scheduling your services, ask for either Lilliana or Rachel. Both are skilled at timing everything to make the most of your time there. Tip: on Sundays they don't charge the $25 facility fee for day spa customers.

2) The Iris Salon - Isa is the entire reason I make the trek to Austin 4 times a year. She is a brilliant colorist and stylist. She is one of the few people that you can say with confidence - "do what you think will look best" and you will have that Cinderella moment when she is done. She is expensive - plan on spending 200-300, but worth every penny. The cut and color will hold through three months of grow out before you will need to be done again so it balances out to about what you would spend going twice as often to a lower end salon. Star stylist Billy Yamaguchi goes to the spa several times a year. I haven't had a chance to book with him yet, but will one of these days! There is a rumor that he will be taking over management of the salon within the next year.

Nails - your best technician will be Blanca for either acrylic or natural nails, as well as pedicures. They don't do solar nails. In my opinion, the manicures and pedicures are comparable to a higher end salon. They used to have some truly decadent pedicure packages, but the current spa menu is fairly mundane - pomegranite, hot rock, etc.

3) Facials - ask for Erin. She loves her work and it shows in how she handles her clients. Booking with her will give you a peaceful experience and fabulous skin care. She is definitely worth splurging fon or the longer services. One of my friends had never been able to have a facial because of her rosacea, however, Lake Austin carries a product line designed especially for that condition. She absolutely loved it and said that her skin felt as good afterward as it does after the medical treatments she has usually had to get. However, don't bother with the "For Your Eyes Only" add on as it doesn't make enough of a difference to justify the $80 price.

4) Aster Cafe - day spa lunchroom - the shrimp ceviche is ok, but we prefer either the Power Bowl or Lamburghini. It closes early so make sure to watch your schedule. The beverage bar stays open, and if you ask at the kitchen door next to the beverage bar you can also always get a free cup of the frozen yogurt.

5) Waxing - the waxing services are good no matter which aesthetician you get. If you are planning on a bikini wax though they only do the basic - no brazilian or other more "detailed" waxes.

6) Massage - ask for Marin. You will be so relaxed that you won't ever want to leave the table. Take a pass on scheduling with Troy and instead opt for a different time slot. His service is indifferent and not up to the quality this spa is known for.

7) Body Treatments - I can't tell you who to ask for on these because so far I haven't had anyone worth recommending. I'd love to be able to rave about the treatments, but so far, even though I really want to, I can't. I mean they're nice, but not the luxurious indulgence I'd hoped for.

Technically the spa is a non-tipping establishment, but that's because the gratuity is automatically added to your bill. So remember that when it comes time to check out.

There are two boutiques at the spa, one up in the spa area and one down in the same building as the overnight guests dining area. The one in the spa is focused on the products used for treatments and services, whereas the other one has more gift items and clothing.

Overall it is a tranquil spot and definitely worth the trip - just know who to book with to make your stay everything you want it to be.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank casadei
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Lake Austin Spa Resort is a fabulous destination spa trip! My mom and I I have been guests at the spa every year for the past 11 years. Everything about the Spa is great, food, staff, spa treatments and activities. Book your trip today!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#2 of 202 in Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#8 of 202 in Austin
W Austin
#20 of 202 in Austin
South Austin
Omni Austin at South Park

Been to Lake Austin Spa Resort? Share your experiences!