“An Oasis Near the Oasis of Austin”

Lake Austin Spa Resort
Ranked #56 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed July 31, 2013

20 miles outside of downtown Austin, this place has a spectacular setting with equally spectacular service. The people are SO nice and the place is really relaxing. If you want to be in the middle of Austin at all times this is not the place for you but there are great water and outdoor activities here which is perfect for the day. And Austin is one of the greatest cities in the U.S. so the Lake Austin Spa Resort is a great compromise for those who want to luxury spa outdoorsy experience and those who want constant entertainment and great restaurant choices in the Austin downtown.

This is an all-inclusive spa with food included. The food is excellent and plentiful. They serve it in spa-like portions - so get 2 or 3 orders and you are fine. The staff could not have been nicer. The guests were 80% women but it is fine for couples too - lots of white robes. Guys can just go to Austin to escape the serenity.

The rooms are the only week point in that they are clean and comfortable but not truly luxurious although the bed was excellent and we slept very well.

4  Thank NYSojourner

Reviewed July 24, 2013

If your idea of luxury is marble everywhere, the newest electronics, sprawling bathtubs/showers, and 24 hour room service, then you might want to go elsewhere. The luxury here is understated and quiet, like you're staying at a friend's cabin but don't want to be too loud or tell her you hate what she's preparing to make for dinner. Here's the breakdown:

ACCOMMODATIONS:
- There are only 40 rooms on the whole premises- some of the lower numbered ones have a private hot tub and are more expensive. #14 is the ladybird suite which is larger and more luxurious. Only certain rooms are dog-friendly and have a $300 NR deposit.
- The standard rooms are nice, but nothing super special. Decor is cottage country, bathroom is fairly small, and bathtub is standard size and therefore not conducive to a bath unless you're the size of a 12 year old.

LOCATION:
- Kind of far from downtown Austin so once you're there, prepare to stay and not venture out unless you want a 30-45 min drive. We have friends near South Congress so we had dinner with them and it took us 45 min each way which was a bummer.

SPA:
- This is the reason most people come here. They have a TON of treatments and I suggest you book at least a week before your arrival. There are 20 treatment rooms with many suited for couples. The masseuses themselves are good, but not great (at least not the 2 I had)- one didn't even ask what pressure I wanted. Most room packages come with a spa allotment.

GENERAL:
- Being that it was July when we went, it was HOT and there were lots of bugs. I fell asleep next to the spa pool for 30 minutes in broad daylight (2pm) and woke up with SIX mosquito bites all over my body. Wish I had brought the mosquito spray or better yet- they should provide you with some during peak mosquito season as scratching bites for the remainder of the trip is not relaxing.
- Service was good, but very casual. Nothing too over the top here. One complaint was after we checked in and were escorted to our room by a "security guard" (since it was after hours), he didn't offer to help me carry my large duffel or my rolling suitcase- he just walked in front of me with a flashlight to show the path and let me huff and puff with my own luggage, which I thought was VERY rude and not a good way to start off my vacation).
- Classes are geared toward the less fit (most guests are middle aged housewives) so if you're looking for a real workout, you may be disappointed. With that said, the instructors are all very nice and knowledgable.
- There are three pools on premises, none of them spectacular. The one near the front entrance doesn't have much shade and it gets HOT in the sun in July. The smaller one next to the spa has some nice cabanas for shade. Then there is the 'aquabarn' that is a half lap pool where you can swim and table some aqua aerobics classes. There is no service by the pools (no one to open an umbrella, get you a towel, offer you some cold water, or get you a beer)- you're on your own.

FOOD:
- The place is all inclusive meaning all meals are paid for, which can be good or bad. They have calorie counts and fat grams beside each item and everything is really delicious, leaving you wondering "How the hell is this only 350 calories?" After a bit more thinking, I decided that it's because (1) the portions are quite small- hubby was still a bit hungry after his 3 course meal and (2) they compensate for less fat with more salt- note that sodium content is NOT on the menus. Either way, the food is pretty good and they are happy to give you 2 appetizers or even 2 entrees if you so desire. Room service is also available, but only at certain times so don't fall asleep and wake up like I did at 10pm hungry and without any options.
- They do have beer/wine on premises but no liquor. They don't offer you the wine menu anytime so you have to ask for it.

OVERALL:
- A great place to go if you want to relax and enjoy the hill country, but don't expect over-the-top luxury or service. It's a "rest and relax" kind of place. Just bring your bug spray!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tiffany M
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had a most wonderful 4 day stay at this wonderful place! The food, classes, spa services, staff and surroundings were all outstanding. Especially enjoyed the cooking classes by Sara Moulton. I even tried paddle boarding!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Six of us just returned from a mother/daughter 3 day weekend. We all had a very relaxing and fun-filled stay. We will definitely return! The location is very beautiful and serene. We were in rooms 28, 29 and 30. They were in the building overlooking the water and a beautiful lawn. They had lovely deep patios with awnings and very comfortable furnishings. The air conditioning was excellent and the rooms lovely, comfortable and clean. The toiletries provided were wonderful lavender products. There were many water activities included in the package rates as well as cooking demonstrations and exercise classes. Excellent and healthy cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner was also included in the beautiful dining room, outdoor dining areas or room service. Wonderful Spa treatments including facials, massages and salon services were offered at an extra cost. The friendliness and courtesy of all the staff was excellent.

Room Tip: Book early if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This review is for the Day Spa only. My friend and I had a full day experience at the spa, each of us having several services including makeup application,massages, facials, and pedicures. This day was not cheap. I think since I paid double what I would at any other hotel day spa in the area I expected so much more. I didn't get it.

In fact, I had to ask the hotel staff to clean some strange gunk out of the whirlpool. Then when I was sitting in the Blue Room, I realized the air conditioner vent was dripping on me. The services were all fantastic, but again for so much more money I guess I expected something extra!

I believe if I am going to have another day of pamperinng, I will go somewhere else for half the price. I just don't understand the allure for so much extra cost!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrea S
lakeaustinspa, Manager at Lake Austin Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hi Andrea, I'm sorry that your day did not meet your expectations. We sometimes have a little bit of residue in the whirlpool from the lotions that we use for treatments, this is not harmful. The dripping AC was a result of condensation as it had been working overtime in the Texas heat. We dispatched our maintenance team to fix this once you had raised the issue. On a positive note, I am so glad you loved your treatments. We were so pleased we were able to work your friend and yourself in for the extra treatments you requested on the day. We look forward to seeing you again soon and please do not hesitate to contact us should you want to chat further.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just returned from a 7 day stay at LASR.
Everything was perfect, as follows:
1. Personnel: from reception to departure, the personnel is uniformly attentive, knowledgeble, well prepared, and ready to do their best to answer every request with a smile and a YES.
2. Grounds: very well kept as an oasis of peace and quiet away from the noise and hussles.
3. Activities: a good combination of aerobic, strenous classes with yoga, relaxation, and stretching. Fun activities such as tea and wine tasting. Lake kayaking, water bikes, etc. Three pools.
3. Food: attractive and well prepared. There is a B/L/D menu and food is ordered a la carte.
You may have as many appetizers, soups, entrees or deserts as you want. The chocolate mousse should be eaten twice!
4. Spa: had 7 massages. No other spa treatments. The personnel is, again, very capable.

LASR leaves you relaxed, clear minded and ready to tackle 51 weeks of work, looking forward to the 52th week spent there.

Room Tip: Rooms directly in front of the office (15-17) are convenient to central activities.
3  Thank MOKHouston
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Lake Austin Spa Resort inspired me to love myself simply because I exist. The "Power of Seven," a highly discounted, seven-day-program offered by LASR, was not only thoroughly enjoyable, truly relaxing and unbelievably rejuvenating for me, but also, allowed me to leave the resort feeling cleansed and whole again. I left LASR feeling ready and willing for any trials that life undoubtedly brings for us all! The staff is so accommodating as well as nurturing; I never felt out of place during my stay. It really was the trip of a lifetime. Furthermore, joining their 'Monarch Club' allowed me the opportunity to visit again! The Monarch Club is packed with complimentary benefits given to a member just for signing up! For free. Wow...Simply Wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Erica T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Four Seasons Hotel Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
W Austin
W Austin
#19 of 203 in Austin

Been to Lake Austin Spa Resort? Share your experiences!