“Currently being remodeled. I look forward to me next visit.”

Hostelling International Austin
Ranked #17 of 39 Specialty Lodging in Austin
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a nice place. Laid back, pretty comfortable, old-school hostel along the river. The rooms are a bit crowded and the place was undergoing a rehab of the bathrooms and such. I could see that the visitors this summer would have nice new showers and updated spaces.

I found this place perfect for my needs during a downtown conference. Easy to get to, relaxed, and a slew of food trucks across the street. I was able to watch the bats rise up from the paddleboard dock and put my tired toes in the water. The music drifting across from the opposite river bank made it a great evening.

Nice place, not for everyone, but if you just want a place to kip and not feel overwhelmed by the frenetic Austin scene this could work (although I did wake up to three drunk guys sleeping in the garden. I can only assume they couldn't remember the door code ...party on Austin! ).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I visited this hostel as a solo guest during a summer travelling break.

It was a bit of a commute to downtown Austin, but there was at least a bus service that passed near the hostel. The hostel itself was fairly clean; has a decent living area with a small library of books and some tourist info guides; friendly staff; breakfast was a bit basic though. The hostel grounds were gorgeous, with some benches/deck chairs, large grassed area which was connected to part of Ladybird lake, giving stunning views. I visited at the end of June which was obviously a gorgeous time of year to sit outside and enjoy the view.

The room was clean and bed was comfy. I did, however, keep seeing the cleaners leave the door to a lot of the dorms unlocked, posing a security risk.

The room was about $30/night which was very reasonable.

Not the best HI I have stayed at, but still very good. Would visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2013

HI Austin is right on a lake, which is very pretty and serene, however, without a car, I sort of felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. I don't mind catching busses to get downtown (the bus stop is about an eight minute walk, slightly uphill, but the bus is only a dollar so I shouldn't complain) however the hostel doesn't have much around it, so I couldn't just "pop to the shop", as we say in Australia. Walgreens and 7Eleven are both about seven minutes away, and as a solo female traveller, I don't like to go out alone after dark, so their locations were a tad inconvenient. That being said, it's a super safe area (I'm just overly cautious). It's great that you can walk to the bus that takes you directly to the airport - again, for only a dollar!!

Staff were always friendly and helpful, the DIY pancake breakfast was filling and the place was very clean. Initially, the communal showers were a little off-putting, but the shower curtains actually provided plenty of privacy.

I'd stay at HI Austin again, but only if I had a car.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at this hostel during one of the Austin City Limits festival weekends, and it was fine. I had only planned to use this as a place to sleep, so I didn't spend too much time here - and that was kind of good. They had jacked the prices up for the rooms for the weekend, I think, like every other place in town.. But still cheaper than a hotel, I guess.

The bathrooms are pretty basic, with four stalls and only two showers in the women's bathroom for all the girls staying there. There isn't much privacy in there either, with only a flimsy shower curtain separating the two, and only hooks to hang you clothes/towel/toiletries on. I have stayed at many, many hostels around the USA and other countries, and I think this is at the lower end of the scale in terms of my previous experiences - but still fine if you are relaxed and easy going about your expectations for a hostel.

I found the room to be a bit cold at night with the air-conditioning on, but there were extra blankets on top of the lockers so that was all good. The staff were really good about accommodating special requests and helping out with calling taxis and offering suggestions of things to do. Breakfast didn't finish on the bang of 10:30am, so it was nice they were flexible about letting people make their pancakes if it was a few minutes late. Yes, they do have a wake-up call at 10:30am.. I guess this is kind of lame because there is a lot of partying that goes on here, so people are up late, and want to sleep in.

This is a hostel experience though, so it's going to be a bit rough. One major downside is that usually HI Hostels are guaranteed to be in a great location close to everything, but this one is MILES away from any of the standard touristy sights, and definitely not walkable. Nevertheless, there is a regular, reliable bus service that we used where there are three buses that will take you near to 6th St - about a 5-10 minute walk from the hostel - and there's a walgreens at the bus stop and a few other restaurants. I thought it was really good how the $2 fare covered you for 24 hours, rather than just a calendar day (e.g. if you took the bus at 6pm for the first time that day, you can pay $1 for a one-way ride, or you can pay $1 for a pass that is valid until 6pm the next day).

I think it cost me about $20-25 to get there in a taxi from the airport, but there is a new airport bus service I didn't know about that goes every half hour I think, and it will drop you at/pick you up from the bus stop near the hostel.

Room Tip: Beds are pre-assigned, so if you have trouble climbing up to the top bunk or whatever, flick them an...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hostel was okay by hostel standards. It's quite far away from everything, but is at a nice location by the water. The bathrooms were clean and tidy which was great, and the staff were quite helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was visiting Austin for partying with a friend. It is cheap, and so nice. We where drinking beer outside in the sunset, in the pier on the lake. It was relaxing. As a negative point, it is necessary to take car or a cab to go to 6th st. But as it is usual in HI Hostels, we met more people that joined us for party. Not good place for couples or families. Just students and backpackers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raul B
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Ok, I expected this hostel to be square just like every other NÍ hostel, but this one seems maliciously so, and badly run. For example, they wake you up and get you out of bed at 10:30 every morning (apparently to clean the room, but I never saw anyone cleaning once, ever, or evidence of it) which also not only offers maximum inconvenience but also coincides with them ending their free breakfast, so there's not even the silver lining of being in time for that. Imagine, they've deliberately decided that not only will they force you out of bed at a set time, but they will also make that set time JUST too late to benefit from it. It's not even a cheap place to stay, I only came as my first choice was fully booked (understandable, as this is their main competition).

Also, one night I came home and my door code didn't work, they'd forgotten to give me the new code. Fine. I went into my dorm and their was someone in my bed. They then asked me to sleep in another bed, one which didn't have fresh sheets or even a pillow ( which they later gave). You'd think if they were this disorganised they would cut you some slack on the wake up call..

Also, it's miles from anywhere. Think a good 45 minute walk along highways to downtown.

Room Tip: No good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo