“Cool but a little wonky”
Review of Austin Motel

Austin Motel
Ranked #85 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Essex
“Cool but a little wonky”
Reviewed February 11, 2007

The Austin Motel is a great looking classic American motel dating back to 1938, it's been restored (and then some) to it's former glory and is a great place to stay if you want to get a feel for the real Austin. There can be a little street noise at times so be prepared.
I stayed there with my wife and two sons in Sept 2005, it was my 5th visit to the city.
Austin's a great fun city and the this Motel fits well with the spirit of what the place is all about, quirky, rustic, and dare I say "funky"
It's not that cheap though and some of the staff are a little moody, though this might be part of the "cool Austin" attitude.
The rooms are nice, the ac works as does the ceiling fan, fridge tv etc, no kettle though and they don't get "English tea" very well there, though there is a great coffee place right next door on Congress Ave. The area has plenty of great food to try, mostly tex mex or plain mexican done the way it should be.
I would recommend the Austin Motel to anyone,

Stayed September 2005
8 Thank EssexTex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 31, 2007

I'm a single gal and was visiting Austin solo for one week. Due to low availability, I spent my first couple of nights in a small one-level room and a couple of additional nights in a larger room on the bottom floor of another building. The smaller rooms apparently book up quickly.

The smaller room was one level with no one above me. It was adorable (room 131) and was only $65 a night. I felt like I was in someone's guest room of a house. It was very cozy with hardwood floors and very comfortable bed. The bathroom had no heater and the shower was a little narrow....but it wasn't enough to turn me off. The next morning, the sun filled up the room and I was very happy there.

The larger room (145) was very funky and reminded me of something out of an Austin Powers movie...but not tacky. I was pleasantly surprised when I realized the floor of the bathroom was heated. (Austin was chilly that week!) It too had comfy queen beds.

Only problem with this room was that it was below another room and I heard EVERYTHING going on above me...including the very loud springy bed. Need I say more? I really did hear everything and it went on all night..and into the morning. I finally resorted to turning the a/c fan on just to drown out the noise from above. ..and that helped. Ear plugs would have been nice, however.

I would definately recommend NOT staying on the lower level in the back building. Even without the "action" going on, I could still hear voices, walking, and other bumps in the night.!

Each morning, I walked down to the Magnolia Cafe for breakfast and a bit of window shopping. Very good place to eat and cheap.

As a single gal, I felt safe and comfortable and will return as long as I can be on top;)

• Liked — Cozy and unique.
  • Disliked — Noise from other room.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank ThanksABunch44
Houston
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I stayed at the Austin Motel on June 25, 2006 in room number 260 “The Original”. Our room was very clean. The beds were comfortable and seemed to be new. All the bedding was fresh and clean. The chair in the room was nice comfortable and clean. The carpet was slightly worn, but clean. The bathroom was cramped, but no big deal. The shower was sparkly clean as well as the toilet, sink area and floor. The towels were bright white, but like sand paper. The amenities were little bars of soap and sample packets of Breck shampoo. The landscaping was very nice relaxing and tranquil. Little nooks all over the property to sit and relax read a book and enjoy yourself. They have done a fabulous job at the pool as well. The pool was very enjoyable clean and quiet. Joe’s coffee bar is on the next corner – great for in the morning. Mexican restaurant on the property site – we had breakfast and it was good fast and convenient.
This place is a charming quant little place to stay. I would recommend it to anyone that is not looking for luxury like the Ritz.

12 Thank JenninHtown
College Station, TX
Reviewed May 14, 2006

I give the Austin Motel an above average rating simply because it has a great location and offers decent lodging for affordable prices. Compared to the other hotels/motels in downtown Austin, this was the most reasonably priced one of the bunch. Although the rooms are quite small (we stayed in #132) and lack modern conveniences such as alarm clocks and Internet access, they were clean and humorously kitschy -- this motel definitely has more personality than the chain hotels/motels! Furthermore, the staff was courteous and there were quite a few unique stores, clubs and restaurants within walking distance. The bottom line: If you're looking for a luxury hotel with room service and a concierge, this isn't it, but if you are looking for fun, affordability and location, location, location, the Austin Motel is highly recommended.

12 Thank TAMU_Grad_Student
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2006

Stayed here for a few days around New Year's and went in with reasonable expectations. It was inexpensive and the location is wonderful (good food and music all around; easy drive or medium walk into downtown Austin). The room itself was a good size and reasonably clean. The bathroom was kind of dark, dank, and a little musty. The linens are what you would expect at a motel. It's great for a certain kind of traveler (i.e., the budget-minded who don't mind putting up with a few less than ideal amenities).

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Easton, Connecticut
Reviewed March 5, 2006

Went to Austin to have a girls lost weekend, you know, leave the husbands and kids behind. I did my research on the Austin Motel and knew what to expect. Thankfully it lived up to my expectations. We spent very little time in our rooms. Basically we slept and showered there. My bed was super comfortable and the shower was clean. Hey for the price what more could you want. The best thing about the motel was the location! Ate breakfast every morning at El Sol Y La Luna, YUM. It's right across the street from the Continental which a local told me had the best music in Austin and I agree. We ate a Guero's, and Enoteca Vespia both excellent. There was great funky shopping along South Congress. All in all a really nice weekend. We did have our moments with the Austin Motel. There is no smoking and of course the people next to us were smoking. The front desk staff seemed as though they could care less. It wasn't until we pushed that they said they would do something about it (charging offenders $50). The water situation was crazy, Very HOT! But really that was it and again we knew we were staying at a kitshy little motel not the hilton, you get what you pay for. We had fun and I would recommend it. Our only disappontment, too cold to try the pool.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank trvlnmom
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 1, 2006

Small rooms, overrated - staff wasn't very friendly at all, marginal bedding and the bathroom floors didn't even have rugs in it. I'm not crazy about bugs in my hotel room, so if you are in to something a little more classy and a little less "in the woods style" skip this joint.

Stayed February 2006