“Could be great with a little more effort put into it.” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Austin Motel
1.0 of 5 Motel   |   1220 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704-2422   |
Ranked #66 of 197 Hotels in Austin
“Could be great with a little more effort put into it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had Room 135 in the back. Good things first. The room itself is large. The bed is comfortable though don't expect high end linens and duvets because you won't find them here. Now this is where some improvement could be had. There are two pieces of painted white bamboo type garden furniture in the room: a loveseat and a chair and ottoman. The webbing on both is so old and stretched out so as to render them un-sittable which is a shame since they're actually kind of pretty is a retro '60s kind of way. The upholstery is faded and past its prime. Long story short: look at this furniture but don't use it unless you want your bottom scraping the floor! Electrical outlets are in short supply. The bathroom has none. I wanted to straighten my hair and the only outlet available (there's one by the desk by the door but my cell phone was charging at the time) was the one on the back wall by the big mirror. Fine you say, no problem...except that for some weird reason the mirror was hung almost near the ceiling! My husband's 6'2" and even he couldn't see his face in the mirror. Why would anyone hang a mirror that high? It makes no sense. I had to drag the desk chair over it and stand on it to do my hair. That's a little bit stupid. The floor also slopes downward. A lot. I live in an old house so I know that's part and parcel with old buildings but if you're not used to it, consider yourself warned.

The bathroom is very small. Toiletries were adequate. Towels, though unstained and untorn, were just this side of threadbare. I can understand not having fluffy towels (the bathroom was so small big fluffy towels simply wouldn't fit, no kidding) but there's no reason for such old towels! The sink faucet was old too, to the point that the stainless steel finish had worn off to the brass. C'mon now. New faucets aren't that expensive.

It sounds like I didn't like our room but I did--what I didn't like was that some things needed replacement and updating. It's one thing to have a kitschy theme going, that's all well and good and it works, but threadbare and tatty doesn't. When things get worn out, fix them!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mermaid929

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

If walkability and location are your main hotel-selection criteria, the Austin Motel is perfectly situated in a trendy South Austin neighborhood. Stayed for 3 nights on a business trip and would absolutely stay here again. This hotel is an easy, 1 mile (15 minute) walk to the downtown convention center, and is situated in SoCo near an endless number of restaurants, clubs, and shops just steps away. After checking out, I asked if I could keep my car in the hotel parking area while I went to lunch before leaving town, and the hotel staff happily accommodated my request.

Pros:
*great SoCo location
*free parking (in an area that is difficult to find parking on the street)
*funky, eclectic vibe
*clean
*comfortable bed
*value for the location

Cons:
*towels (paper thin)
*old-building outlet locations not conducive to charging phones/electronics near beds (expected that issue due to hotel age)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank dmfisher
Longview, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

This is not a "historical" site like the Driskel Hotel or the Stephen F Austin ( I think its still around), but is is historical if a 1930's tourist court can be. This inn is located in the heart of SoCo, one of the weirder parts of Austin, and the decore reflects the weirdness with antique furniture, SW tile floors and 2 ceiling fans in the very large room (117) which was At one time 2 rooms. The bath with shower only was hot and clean, although somewhat small ( it is a 1930s building so I giess it was state of the art atone time). The bed was soft and comfortable and the room had a large size flat panel TV. Now the not so great, the wifi should be called WhyFi because it was so weak and there is no provision for in room coffee which means walking around to the office for a cardboard cup of joe ( very hot- joe). I also realized that the lodging dollar doesn't go far in downtown Austin, with a room of 160.00 with tax, it seemed high until we priced rooms in the downtown area. The good part - it is right acrss the steet for the Continrntal Club and with parking a premium on So. Conress, you have a great space next to your room, did I say it is clean, really clean. And will we stay again? Short answer is yes, if SoCo is our primary destination.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Austin Motel is in a great location on south Congress. You can walk to tons of places to shop, eat, or just hang out. You can also walk to downtown (about 10-15min), the bus to the airport, and a great running trail along a lake. For a great price, you will get a clean room and a nice pool area, in a great location. The negatives...we stayed in a double room which was very small and the bed was very uncomfortable. Our bathroom and shower were also quite tiny, with no fan or ventilation. There are box AC units, which are quite noisy as well. It was beautiful outside and we would have loved to just open the windows, but they were sealed shut. Overall, I would stay there again but I would pay a little more and stay in one of the larger rooms,

Room Tip: For more than one person, spend a little more to get a larger room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Alicia C
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

South Congress is a great part of Austin but finding a place to stay that is less than $200/night and in walking distance of the fun is a little difficult. This motel is legendary and every time I come to Austin, I try to stay here but it's always booked. I got lucky on this last trip! I stayed in the 2 story section and had a room on the top floor. The only complaint is that the walls are paper thin so people having a normal conversation in the rooms on either side of me could easily be heard...my floor boards were squeaking so pretty sure that was annoying to the person below me when I was walking around early in the AM. But honestly, it is a great price - just bring ear plugs and you'll be golden. My guess is that the one story section of rooms might be a little more quiet. The room was very clean, the people manning the front desk were fun and helpful and the wifi signal is so strong that you can even use it at Joe's Coffee Shop. Definitely will be back if I can manage a rez for the next trip to SoCo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NoSweatTravelBlog
Draper, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I traveled to Austin for a long weekend. Came here to visit friends. We could have spent the entire time just taking walking trips from the Austin Motel. It has it all, food, entertainment, interesting shops, beer, etc. It is also located a five minute drive from downtown or a five minute jog to some great trail running.

The Austin Motel is not a 5-star hotel. What it is, is clean, unique, a great location, fun, and memorable. We will stay there again the next time we visit. It's definitely a 5-star experience!

• Stayed February 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay on South Congress for the weekend even though we live in Austin. Loved it. Very quiet at night...no partying is posted on the door and they mean it. Another great thing. My husband has Athsma and the rooms are divided between prt and non pet rooms. Ours was non pet and had hardwood floors so he had no problem.

Room Tip: You can look at each individual room online
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple