“Park ranger thinks he's John Wayne”

McKinney Falls State Park
Ranked #22 of 335 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: This tranquil, 641-acre park offers a wide variety of outdoor recreation including fishing, mountain biking and hiking.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have been traveling across the country in our rv for 2 weeks staying in many different parks across 10 states as of today. Driving so many miles many places were closed when we arrived we could just check in I the morning. At this place we had an appointment at 8:00 am the next ironing in Austin and did not arrive back to camp until 5:30 after close again. We find a note attached to our fifth wheel saying contact the office ASAP. No phone number to contact etc... So my wife and I take our three kids to the falls for some fishing to walk back to a Texas park ranger writing a notice for no registration permit after explaining the late night arrival he proceeded to say oh we were towing your camper in 15 minutes for non payment. We explained we reserved a spot for 3 nights and had given a credit card to hold the spot. At this point my kids are freaking out because they are afraid our home away from home is going to be towed. So I get the kids in my truck so I can deal with this situation and he keeps on explaining to me how if I didn't pay my bill they would prosecute me and "I am lucky he figured out who that rig belonged to because I really would have been up a creek after $1000 tow bill because those big wreckers are expensive". This camp is $24 per night! We were planning on a 3 night stay. It cost me $130 to fill the gas tank every 200 miles so $72 is not going to break my bank. We will be cutting our stay in this park tomorrow and moving and they just lost $48 dollars that they obviously desperatley needed. It is true when they say one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. I have many law enforcement friends and this guy was a disgrace to public service and I am very respectful in saying that. We will pay our bill in the morning and say good bye to the Texas hospitality in this hole. Check it out only firing business hours 8:30 - 4:00 and but before or after those hours beware.

13  Thank Rjreynolds1705

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I went to McKinley Falls with my 5 year-old son today for the first time. It was easy to hike and very pretty, but there was so much trash both in the water and on the shore. There was actually a smashed up television set in one area next to a an otherwise beautiful creek. The water had debris piled up in part of the river where it all seemed to get caught but the rest of the water was clear. The banks had plastic, styrofoam, broken glass, cans, you name it. So sad.
The wildlife and setting are gorgeous. We had a watersnake in the creek we swam in. He looked harmless, and was swam away from us, thank goodness. Cool spiders in the caves. Lost of birds. We had a great time, but I really wonder why the state doesn't do a better job cleaning up a state park and if they need help, if we can organize a clean up day. I picked up a bag full. It is disgusting to have our parks be in that condition.

4  Thank Laura F
McKinneyRanger, Manager at McKinney Falls State Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Hey, Laura. We're glad you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like you and your son had a great time. The trash you are referencing is mostly debris left behind by the rainfall we had last week. We agree, it is very unsightly! Unfortunately, we have a very small staff, and they are always busy maintaining and improving the park. Of course we always can use additional help. If you or anyone else has a group interested in a clean-up along Onion Creek, please contact Keep Austin Beautiful and call the park to set the dates and get instructions on how to set up the event.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Nice park with trails, swimming, and scenery. The only problem I found is the situation with dogs. Signs are clearly posted that dogs should stay our of the water but guess what??? Dog owners once again don't care about that. Plenty of dogs going to the bathroom on the beach and swimming in the water. Why can't there be a dog free park?

Reviewed June 17, 2014

A serene state park with all of the local Texas scenery you would expect. The people were friendly and the view was amazing. Highly recommend going. Admission was reasonable especially if you stay for a while.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Unfortunately do to the draught the falls a basically nonexistent. But honestly I could deal with that...the water is still crystal clean and cool. Its just the element of people that find the short distance from the city to McKinney Falls. Its a totally different 'group" than you will find here than what we experienced at Lady Bird Lake...

1  Thank Montecore1

Been to McKinney Falls State Park? Share your experiences!