“Beware Construction Paper Parking Permit”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Round Rock South
Ranked #100 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Texas City, Texas
“Beware Construction Paper Parking Permit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We travel with our baseball team quite often, not every LaQunita is the same. At this location, we were given a parking permit to place on the dash board even though our vehicle information was given at the time of check in. On Sunday, my son and I were ready to go to his baseball game 30 mins away, only to find our vehicle was not there, our first thought was it was "Stolen", so we went inside to report it to the desk clerk who didn't seem too concerned, stated "it was probably towed, this happens all the time". She then asked if we put the Permit (piece of construction paper) on the dash, which I didn't . So she proceeded to tell me that's why you got towed and she would try and locate our vehicle. Right then and there felt like it was a Scam and we got caught up in it. She stated they use 3 towing companies of which neither of them had my vehicle. . She had to call the police dept to locate where the vehicle was stored. They were able to give her the information, of which she called only to ask why the vehicle was towed, and said it loud enough for us at to hear that the Permit was not placed on the dash, which I had already admitted. She then let me speak with wrecker driver, who stated that the hotel is the one who gave him the list of 7 vehicles to tow and there would be a $180.00 fee to get the vehicle released, and he would be there until 12:30pm. After the conversation, I asked the clerk how we were suppose to get to the towing company, she stated "don't know what you want me to do". I explained to her what means of transportation were in the area, she said she could call a taxi. After 10 min the taxi picked us up, I called the wrecker driver, to let him know we were 5 mins away. At which time he stated "Oh I had to leave, have a car I needed to go pick up, and he would return around 1:15pm and we would just have to wait, and the time now is 12:00pm. The taxi cost me $17 for a 5 mile ride, which dropped us off, basically on the feeder road. Luckily there was a tree, my son and I sat under in this 95 degree heat. The time now is 1:30pm still no driver. My husband then called the driver and explained that he didn't feel safe with his family sitting on the side of the road, could he please get ther ASAP. The driver agreed. It is 1:45pm and the driver did call my husband back to say he was around the corner. The driver finally got there almost 2:00pm with No Car on his wrecker, imagine that. He gets out and says "what's going on?" I said what do you mean, You towed my vehicle and I was a guest of the hotel, showed him the parking permit that was in the vehicle and he stated the hotel gave him the list and that he was just doing his job. So I voiced my opinion and felt the necessary steps were not taken, before the vehicle was towed such as, (1) the Permit did not say, If this is not placed on dash your vehicle will be towed. (2) There are no Signs posted in or outside in parking lot, that say No Permit, you will be Towed, and (3) List of vehicles were not verified with the hotel guest information. So he says he felt bad and knock off the Storage fee so now it only cost me $162.50 to get our vehicle released. This was still a total Rip Off! We never made my son's baseball game due to the amount of time it took us to retrieve the vehicle. We did follow up with Customer Service on Monday and made a formal complaint and expressed our 3 points of why this should have nerver happened, of which they took statements to send to hotel. The manager did call my husband and tried to work something out. My husband explained our 3 points again and made it Clear if parking is such an issue, with Fast Eddies, and their customers parking at the hotel, then Signs should be posted in parking lot, to discourage others from parking in Lot, which also may help guest to remember to place permit on dash or even give out the permits that hang on mirror. In the hotels defense, she did state that the desk clerks didn't have time to verify the vehicle information before they give list to wrecker due to too many guest. But my husband stated that the clerk had time to walk the parking lot and write down 7 license plate numbers that night. At which time she did offer a Complimentary Room to any LaQuinta, and since I had such a bad experience at that hotel, she would comp any other nights, if we would chose to stay there again. So this past weekend, we were in Austin area again for baseball, so to give manager the benefit of the doubt, called manager, to make good on her word, took 2 days for her to return our call. Once she returned the call, she offered to comp Sat night only and we would need to send the Voucher back to her that she just put in mail to us. So needless to say, this is not what was discussed and don't feel their actions were justified; therefore, I wasn't going to Waste the voucher on this hotel, so we stayed elsewhere, this weekend. So just beware of the Construction Paper Parking Permit!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

5 Thank Raquel R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

As an active family that travels every weekend for sports - we chose to become La Quinta rewards members last year. So we only stay at LQ's now
BUT I will NEVER stay at this location again!!
The service was miserable. They didnt have my reservation or keys ready when I arrived and it took nearly 30 mins for her to find my reservation and get it processed and keys ready. As a Gold rewards member every other location I have stayed at always has my "speedy checkin" ready which is a great added bonus.
Here the clerk seemed clueless and as I waitied I had lots of time to look around the lobby. Upon entering it looks really nice - more details in the decorations and better lounging areas in the lobby then some locations but the compliments stop there. Theres a sign near the elevator that says "sorry for the mess we are remodeling" but the counters etc look like they havent been cleaned in months. Really dusty and dingy.
Then I get to my room -- and its not what it is supposed to be. It has 2 beds but no microwave or fridge as requested. So i return to the lobby to the unhelpful, clueless cashier anfd she doesnt seem to understand what Im trying to explain to her so she gets her manager on duty. I explain to her and it too takes her a minute to understand but finally she clues in. She said she doesnt understand how this mistake happened but she can sent someone up to the room to check it out if I would like. AS IF I DONT know what @ beds, a microwave and a fridge look like???? REALLY?? Then she advises me that they are sold out and there are no other rooms for her to give me and she doesnt know what I expect her to do about it. At this point im getting irritated so I bring to her attention the hole in the ceiling above the bed as well. Big hole right over one of the beds. All night we layed there waiting for something to drop down on our heads out of the hole in the ceiling. Eventually I give up and call it a night - at this point all I would like them to do is refund the $ difference between the room I got and the room I paid for but they cant even figure out how to do that. AWFUL!! AWFUL experience anfd I have the photos of the room and the hole to prove it. I will never stay at this location again and WARN everyone else to be careful!!!!!!!! Almost makes me want to avoid La Quinta altogether -- but you cant ban all establishments just because of one awful location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Extended Stay America - Austin - Round Rock - South
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Round Rock - Austin N
Sleep Inn & Suites Round Rock
Hampton Inn Austin-Round Rock
Comfort Suites North
Comfort Suites North
#1 of 3 in Pflugerville
Residence Inn Austin Round Rock

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Round Rock South? Share your experiences!