“Very Disappointing!”

Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest
Ranked #116 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 8, 2005

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. When we arrived for check-in, the front desk clerk said that since I booked it through Hotwire they only had one room available (which smelled like smoke even though it was supposed to be non-smoking) and it only had one king bed even though we needed two seperate beds -or even a couch. She said that I would have to PAY EXTRA if I wanted two beds - the hotwire rate was for that room only. I couldn't believe what horrible customer service the desk clerk had and that they were trying to get more money out of us. I called Hotwire who called the front desk - and then they changed their story to say that was the only room available PERIOD. At that point we had to stick it out since we had pre-paid for it. Thankfully it was for only one restless night. Choose a different hotel - much nicer ones are in the Arboretum area. I am a frequent traveler for work and pleasure and I have posted many reviews on this site - and this is the first hotel I feel compelled to warn people about. Unfortunately, with Hotwire you don't have the opportunity to know what hotel you are getting until it is too late.(I see that another tripadvisor had a similar experience - unbelievable!)

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank MichelleAustin_TX

van down by the river
Reviewed September 19, 2005

Clean, quiet, nice staff, good sized rooms, very easy location to get in and out of. Rack rates can be high sometimes, but this is a great hotel if you get the right rate.

• Stayed: June 2004
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 24, 2005

Not the Four Seasons, but perfect for a low budget stay. I wouldn't pay their rack prices, but certainly worth going through a discount travel site. Rooms are small but very functional. Location is good, building and rooms are in generally "new" condition. Staff helpfulness varies greatly, but in reality you really don't need to talk to them!

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank PierreCJ
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 29, 2005

This is my hotel of choice when I'm on business in the Austin area. It's not on the freeway, so it's very quiet. The staff is always pleasant and helpful. It's like a home away from home for me!

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 18, 2005

This all suite hotel is perfectly set up for the business traveler in Austin for a while. The kitchenette is well equiped, the easy chair was a bonus, and I don't know that I've ever stayed in a cleaner looking place. Pantry, laundry, and exercise room combo was very convenient. Two MINOR complaints: the mattress had way too much give (and I like a softer mattress) and the automatic fan that comes on with the bathroom light was annoying. But overall, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank cagseg
Reviewed July 5, 2005

I booked this through Hotwire for $41/night. I think I was assigned the "Hotwire special" room. Several TV channels were not working, broken control on the air conditioning - I could not adjust to a cooler temperature in room than 77 degrees on a 100+ day outside, room smelled of stale garlic, rudeness of desk clerk on checkout. I only stayed one night; if I was staying longer or had checked in earlier I would have asked for another room.

I do not recommend this hotel -- the Bradford suites around the corner is a much better deal for the money. I stayed there the previous 2 nites for $50/night.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank clementine85
Allen, Tx
Reviewed August 6, 2004

I've stayed in 3 hotels in 12 days, and Candlewood Suites wins hands-down. I booked the one bedroom for less than 62.00 a night on their website, and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the accomodations are. The kitchen has a full-size fridge, microwave, and 2-burner stovetop, and lots of pantry space for groceries. The bathroom is large and the place is nice and clean. The honor system convenience store is a plus, and the free laundry room is great. Everything is pretty much self-service, but for families (or anyone needing accomodations for a week or more) it's a great set-up. Only con? The elevator is in the front of the building-we're in the back of the third floor. Still, at least they *have* an elevator, and the location (in a newer building than most) is great.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member