“Great people”

Ranked #99 of 203 Hotels in Austin
San Francisco, California
“Great people”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place was a MASSIVE improvement over the Extended Stay Arboretum North our corporate host had us previously lodged.

The staff were very friendly, and even handled things like mail forwarding and having a package picked up both with ease and with a friendly attitude. The free and 24 hour laundry was very handy.

I did not have a pet room, so no problems there, and my no-smoking request was met by putting me on the floor the farthest away from the smokers, thanks!

There was enough counter space for both me and my BF to work at computers or eat, even in the smaller sized room we were in.

The only annoying issue was the old no-thermostat A/C that would cycle on and off every 2-3 minutes, I was there for nearly a month and never got used to it firing up full-steam so many times overnight.

Only once was I discouraged by the vibe of other guests, most people staying here were nice and somewhat put together.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ActiveTraveler07
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear AT from DC,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your month long stay and the amenities that came with it. We hope you enjoyed every bit of your Austin trip and are so happy we got to be a pleasant part of it!
Happy travels and take care,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very dirty hotel. Dog hair everywhere on the floors, even our room. Also the coffee bar was in a mess and I found dog hair within the washer and dryer.

In addition I had ants in my room: The kitchen, nightstand and on the floor. Can also be found at the coffee area and the walls throughout the complete hotel. But nobody cares. Dirty BBQ, very sad story at all.
Was told I was the only one with the problem. Sure..
If you have any problems, nobody is willing to help you. The staff is lazy and not interested.
Was a short stay, but would never ever recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank James B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear James B,

We certainly appreciate you bring this matter to our attention. I am sorry to read you received service that was less than satisfactory and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cibolo, Texas
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Location: I give this hotel's location two thumbs up for three reasons. First, the hotel is offset from any roadways so there is no background road noise. Second, albeit that there is no road noise, it is only a few blocks from Highway 183. That means you can blast north or south to get anywhere in the Austin area with relative ease. I dealt with morning and evening traffic during my week there but this hotel's location wasn't impacted too badly. Third, the hotel is located among several other businesses, to include Whole Foods, Sprouts, REI, a cinema, Baby Acapulco (Mexican restaurant with excellent chips and salsa), and Target. My bride and I grocery shopped the first night of our arrival to stock the room's kitchen with healthy meals for the duration of our visit. We spent about $60 for the bulk of our meal planning for the week. It was a money saver and we ate healthy.

Clean Room: Our room was clean and comfortably located on the 3rd floor. The bed was comfortable with cotton linens. We took our own pillows for great nights' sleeps. The room is equipped with a decent flatscreen TV, a perfect little kitchen with all the needed supplies (pots, pan, utensils, colander, refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, plates, cups, dishes, dishwasher, etc), a comfortable bathroom with great water pressure, and desk-top/work area for work and studies. The A/C in the room blew cold air...that's all I ask from an air conditioner. It never froze up and I stayed comfortably chilly in my room.

Staff: When I checked in, a young man named Ben tended to front desk. He represented the Candlewood Suites professionally. During my stay, another young man named Keith provided some extra towels upon my request. He was kind and attentive to our needs. Upon check out, a pleasant young lady (sorry I didn't get her name) offered a warm smile and thanked me for staying with the Candlewood Suites. I can't comment on the maid service since we didn't ask for any during our stay. In the few brushes with the maid service up and down the hallways, they were kind and polite to me.

Physical Fitness/Workout Room: The shopping district around the Castlewood Suites has plenty of sidewalks for an evening/morning walk. We did that one evening. Another evening, we used the hotel's workout room. It was exceptionally clean. The workout room has two quality treadmills (Matrix brands), a stationary bike, an elliptical, and a weight station. It is air conditioned with a TV and cold water dispenser. It was nice! I enjoyed working out there.

Honor System Shopette: The weight room is kindly attached to an in-house shopette with access to snacks, ice cream, ice cream bars, ice cream sandwiches, pints of ice cream of various wonderful flavors, cold ice cream, inviting ice cream, ice cream that called out to me the whole time I was working out. I love ice cream...why do they put the ice cream next to the workout stations? Sorry...I got lost in the ice cream cravings....anyway, the shopette is convenient, practical, and well stocked for those small things you might need. The shopette is joined by several washers and driers for those who need to do their laundry...it was all clean.

Items in need of attention: There's always a maintenance issue here or there when it comes to critiquing. My review keeps this Candlewood Suites in an excellent status despite some maintenance issues. The only way to remedy such items is to bring them to the attention of the management.

Issue 1: The refrigerator in the room cycled through defrost (I'm guessing) and at about 11:00 PM each night the fan in the freezer made raucous noise that lasted about 30 minutes. It continued off and an throughout the night. For me, it was no big deal, but I could see someone getting upset about such a trivial thing interrupting his/her sleep.

Issue 2: The elongated horseshoe lock bar on the inside of entrance door for our room was broken. Again, I wasn't worried for my sake but I could see someone being concerned about it. The part that was broken was the lower hinge pin. It looks to be a simple fix so why not get it done?

I'd stay at this hotel again without hesitation!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kayaking-Flatwater
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
What a wonderful and thorough review, Kayaking! Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to share your experience with the world. We look forward to seeing you again next time you travel to Austin!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The hotel is very clean and comfortable, very quite, no breakfast because they have nice kitchen with full refr.stove, the lay out of the room was very good, people at front desk was more than accomadating and personal, going out of their way to be very helpful, making sure we had the correct room and willing to let you move if you didnt like the location of your room. we were there for a wedding and if we ever go back we will certainly stay at the candlewood suites
M.Gipson

Room Tip: make sure you know who you are booking your room from Hotel.com,ect. so there will be no supprises w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mapowell
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
M. Gibson,
Thanks so much for your feedback! Very kind of you to go out of your way to tell the world about your delightful stay and we certainly love to hear our guests' thoughts. I'll pass on the accolades to my front desk and housekeeping teams and appreciate, once again, you sharing your experience. We look forward to serving you during your next trip to Austin! Take care.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hotel was clean, furniture is hard as a rock. No pool or breakfast either. Location was good.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Sheehan35
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Sheehan,

Thank you so much for your candid review about Candlewood Suites Arboretum. We appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed our location and the cleanliness of our hotel - we take great pride in keeping our suites and grounds as beautiful as possible. Sorry about the furniture being so hard, it's only been out of the box for a couple months now. On that note, we're still enjoying the new chair and fixture smell! We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in Austin.

Take care and thanks again,
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Very impressed with my three-day stay in this newly renovated hotel. Close to major traffic arteries, shopping and good restaurants but off the highway and extremely quiet. Fast, friendly check-in. Very comfortable bed. Liked the bedding- real cotton blankets and full bedspread, not polyester. And the fluffy towels in the clean and roomy bath. No complimentary breakfast but well-equipped kitchen- I prepared several meals in my room. This is my new favorite Austin hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Texas Republic,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review! Your new favorite hotel is the highest of achievements for us and we love to hear your reasons for it. We hope to see you soon and that your next stay with us is even better than the last.

Happy travels and thank you again for your feedback,
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 12, 2012

great place, going through a renovation, but candlewoods are typically good places to stay

Room Tip: this hotel isnt sandwiched between bars or restaurants, its generally a quiet place to stay.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank warren s
Jessica S, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear Warren,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write about us and even more for bearing with us during our renovation. We hope it wasn't too uncomfortable and that our new suites and style are warmly welcomed by loyal guests like you. We look forward to your return to Austin!

Candlewood Suites Mgmt