“This is not a bad choice, really.”

Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest
Ranked #99 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Alto, New Mexico
“This is not a bad choice, really.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

It's certainly not the Embassy Suites or a Crowne Plaza, but it's not a bad place. The rooms are nicely sized and appear to be recently updated. Hotel was clean and had some nice touches like free laundry, outdoor area with grills, and huge parking lot. Location is convenient with good places to eat within easy walking distance. Well suited for several nights stay and familiar feel to the place. I agree the lobby and reception areas are ghetto but after a quick check in you won't need to go there again. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dan A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

Had this been the first time I ever stayed at a Hotel operating under the name of Candlewood Suites I would never ever stay at another one. As I pulled in to the parking lot I was immediately suspect from its appearance. It was just all wrong on the inside. Lobby felt like I was in a trailer. The hallways and room had a mildew smell, formica coming off of counters/cabinets, internet connection kept going out, TV was fuzzy, sheets and pillow cases seemed like they were disposable paper products, bottom of tub appeared patched and was very weak like I could fall through it, mold around tub spout, etc. It was just a bad experience all around. I slept terrible that evening as I was not happy or comfortable in that Candlewood Suites Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Traveler60895
Roma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

Very unfriendly staff – we had vermin our room and nobody took a notice. We went to the front desk over 7 times and wrote to the manager – no reaction.
A very dirty and old hotel, far to expansive for what you get!
Room Cleaning once a week, dirty towels and it stinks in the complete hotel!
Please stay away….

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank mariagaldi
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

Candlewood is a quite decent hotel but have mayor issues with there cable / WLAN Internet. We stayed 6 weeks and nearly all nights, Internet was damn slow (3 KB/s) between noon and midnight. Unuseable !

Front desk was not willing to help - also they blame us for failure... stupid. Do not book if you like internet.

Also, one of the two gas grill were not cleaned for like 3 weeks - although mentioned at the front desk. IT was linving in the end I guess...

huge disappointment!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Peacemaker22
dlatour, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
At the Candlewood Suites, Austin Arboretum, we strive to deliver a great stay for every guest. Unfortunately, during the time that this guest and his family stayed with us, the bandwidth for the newly-revamped wi-fi and high-speed wired internet was not enough to handle the hotel running at full capacity, with many guests streaming movies. We never believed that the guests were to blame in any way. To diagnose the issue, the guest must personally speak with the tech department to diagnose from their PC inside the room. We attempted several times to persuade the guest to take this action. When it was determined that the issue was hotel-wide, we immediately notified our corporate office, and at this time, they are in negotiations with the provider to dramatically increase our bandwidth ASAP. We understand how important quick and reliable internet service is, and apologize that we were not up to par during your stay. We have used the feedback from your experience to improve our services, and, hopefully, your future stay.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband is in the military and we do quite a bit of traveling. Several years ago we stayed at this Candlewood for the first time. We really liked everything about it, we were hooked. It has everything you need and gives you a place to call home when you can’t be. Now everywhere we go a Candlewood is the first place we look for. Unfortunately more times than not, we can’t find one. We have stayed at several of them in the past and I have no complaints (so far) about any of them. When we stay at this one my Mom even gets to come up and stay the night with us for a short visit. (gotta visit whenever and however you can being in the military moving about) She even gets to bring her dog, and there is a great walking area for us to go on a walk and enjoy. The suite is great for such a visit because we get to have our own room and there is a pull out couch for her that she says is pretty comfy. We have made the comment several times that we feel at home with a Candlewood. We will continue to stay at them whenever we can.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
At Candlewood Suites, Austin Arboretum, we're proud to serve some of our nation's heros, the US military! We're glad that you can rely on us as a home away from home! We appreciate all the sacrifices your family makes, and thank you for your nice review!
Darla
Austin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

My first pet peeve with this hotel chain is the lobby or lack thereof. It just always bothers me when travelling when you enter a new hotel and you're met with a non-descript window in a cramped hallway. I dont expect an elaborate lobby like in a 5* NYC hotel, but this is the face of your hotel and provides your guests the first impression of their stay show a little pride.
The first impression of the room itself was that it was very clean, which is a good first impression. Each room comes with its own kitchenette with full size fridge, 2 burner stove, full size microwave, and dishwasher. The room itself was quite small but not oppressively so. The linens were fresh and the overall quality of the bed and bedding was high, better than you expect in a 2* hotel.
The veneer of perfection led to a few minor annoyances. I realize a lot of hotel chains use incredibly noisy a/c units but I'll ding this chain for that anyway as there are chains that use somewhat quiet a/c units. The noise some of these individual a/c units put out is ridiculous and frankly should be regulated. The Amana a/c unit in this room was just ridiculously loud.
I was also woken up with another problem one night. The GE fridge started to 'freak out' and made an incredibly annoying sound like a hippo having a heart attack. It was a fairly new fridge and one of the key motors/fans was going out, dont buy GE appliances! Sounds amusing but when you literally cant think straight because of it, its not funny. So I had to get up at 3am pull the fridge out(luckily was on slides) and unplug it. Which forced me to throw out all the spoiled refrigerated food in the morning.
I couldnt be bothered to have repairmen in and out of my room for days so I didnt bother calling anyone, I just informed them when I checked out.
Another annoyance was the thin and low ceilings, footsteps resonated right through the floor from the room above at all hours. Also the low ceiling added a bit of claustophobia to the room.
Also another minor issue of annoyance was the maid service. Early in my stay the maids were vacuuming before 9am in the hallways. Which to me is just 'off'. They also were jabbering amongst each other in the hallway early. I think someone else complained because they only did that once. Also a maid tried to come into my room on a day other than when my room cleaning was scheduled at 5pm.
I cant get too upset with the hotel over the fridge fiasco but it was a pain. The room was very clean and that is very important. But because of all the nagging issues and the general consturction of the hotel the overall stay was only average.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank duncan36
texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

On May 17, 2008 I was staying as guest at the Candlewood Suites Arboretum-Northwest Upon entering the bed and laying for a few moments, I began to notice an extremely odd and pungent smell, I thought maybe it was nothing and tried to ignore. After a little while longer, I kept noticing that same awful smell and I started to notice my clothes felt damp. At that time I got out of bed pulled of the sheets and to my horror realized I had been sleeping in a bed that was completely soaked in human urine! Absolutely disgusted, immediately contacted a hotel employee, CJ, who oversees the property after hours. He advised us that he spoke with the manager and he had said there were no other rooms available and we would have to stay in that room and the room would be compensated for on the hotel. However, to imagine sleeping in a bed soaked in human urine is something to make anyone feel ill in the stomach. CJ, then arrived with new bed sheets so that we could sleep comfortably on a hard floor. This is not acceptable by any means to expect that your guests will continue to stay in a room ON THE FLOOR that is has been contaminated in urine, no other solutions were offered, one of which could have been a rollaway bed or make arrangements for us at another hotel. In the morning at check out when we told the front desk clerk of the situation I am absolutely appalled at her treatment. She did not rectify the situation, in fact she told us "no manager is on duty on the weekends and you will still be due for your bill". Furthermore, she commented that her "housekeepers would notice something like that" implying that we were responsible and trying to get a "free room". We were too exhausted to deal with such incompetent staff and paid our bill and left. Again, it is not a matter of the payment for the room but the quality of service that was provided. In the morning we were never contacted by General Manager Clyde Wilder or the Operations Manager Sean Russell to rectify or even apologize for the experience. I have contacted the City of Austin Health Services and the Better Business Bureau to escalate this situation.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank utlonghorn81
dlatour, Operations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin Arboretum-Northwest, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
At Candlewood Suites, we strive to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness throughout our hotel. Our housekeeping staff undergoes extensive training to ensure that every guest room is properly prepared so that every guest feels at home when they arrive. We cannot begin to understand how one of our beds would come to be in an unsanitary condition without appearing to be disheveled or otherwise unfit for use by a guest without being immediately apparent. We attempt to make the best of every situation and the guests were encouraged to return to stay with us at their convenience, which they have since accepted. In a recent third-party audit, we received a 98% for cleanliness and room conditions, and our AAA rating is “excellent”. We remain firmly committed to providing each of our guests with an experience that will keep them coming back every time they are in the area.