“Far from city center, next to highway”

Candlewood Suites - Austin South
Ranked #115 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Warsaw, Poland
“Far from city center, next to highway”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Spend almost week there during SXSW2010. With window facing the parking and highway I could observe cops pulling over drivers and people having BBQs on the backs of their trucks. Very Texan ;) Bad thing that the large American flag in front were dirty and jagged.
The room was OK, with well equipped kitchen and all the things that one would expect from cheap American motel. Staff were rather unnoticeable, and checking in lasted ages (to be fair it was very late, as my plane was late).
The location is bad if you don't have a car - far from city center, far from airport.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
san jose, ca
Reviewed September 12, 2010

As the time of this writing, I'm still staying in this hotel. Everything was pleasant until my wife broke the news this morning. My wife told me that she saw 2 bed bugs while I was sleeping and she caught one of them and the other one ran away. She ended up putting it inside crumpled white tissue. To my surprise, the bug was still there when I woke up. My wife and I checked our bodies and there was one red welt in my arm, close to my hand. We talked to the front desk to show my hand and the bug. At the end, we were moved to a different room (the room number that has bed bugs was 206). For tonight, I am still shocked and tried to prevent this, I bought a white vinyl sheet from walmart to cover the bed, pushed the mattress away from the wall, will turn on all the lights all night (I hope these work). I will upload a photo and a video of the bed bug. I will definitely update my 2nd night experience very soon. Pest controls in this hotel need to be improved. At this point, I am still shocked and freaked out (this is my first encounter and hopefully the last).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bogelo
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
We take these issues very seriously and respond quickly We make sure that all rooms are inspected and treated in advance to avoid any bug issues. Most of our guests are long term guests and we want them to be comfortable.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This is by far one of the best experiences I have had in a budget class extended stay hotel. All other hotels in this class should model experiences for their customers based on this hotel. The rooms are clean, there is free laundry service and the location is great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
We are glad you had such a great experience during your last visit. We hope to see you again when your travels take you back to Austin.

Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites Austin South.

Sincerely

The Candlewood Team!!
Colorado
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Really pleased with this facility. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the property both outside and inside. would recomment this to my friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
austinsouth, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Austin South, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Thank you for the kind words! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forwrd to your next visit. Please feel free to contact us when you are in the Austin area again.

The Management
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I was in town for the R.O.T. (Republic of Texas) Biker Rally. This hotel was a little on the expensive side ($96/night with Entertainment Book discount), but being less that 4 miles from Town Lake and downtown Austin, and most of the cheaper options being booked up, this was a pretty good deal.

This hotel welcomed me and the other bikers, was very helpful and accommodating and had an onsite, all-night security guard. I know because I spoke to him when I arrived back in my room at 2:00am. It was good to know he was there - those bikes aren't cheap!

The room was clean, complete mini suite, microwave, two-burner cooktop, coffee maker, refrigerator and ice maker. I had everything I needed - enough coffee in the morning and popcorn at night.

I'd stay here again, but I'd try to book further in advance to get a bigger discount.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — Was a bit pricey
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed October 18, 2007

One of the best 2 star hotels across the board!
We stay in hotels 3 weeks a month and this is one of the best values around. The beds are Ultra comfy and the hotel is clean and recently rennovated.

• Liked — the clean bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Overall this Candlewood is pretty nice. I normally stay at the Hampton Inn across the freeway, but since Priority Club is having some really good promotions right now, I decided to go ahead and stay at the Candlewood. The rate is about the same as the Hampton Inn, with a bit lower service offerings, but is a different type of hotel as the Candlewood is a bit more designed as a limited service extended stay.

The area is not the absolute best available, but is convenient to the south side of Austin. There are quite a few restaurants a few exits up, but the only ones in easy walking distance are Burger King and Furrs Cafeteria.

This Candlewood, as all others, does not have front desk staff from 11pm till 7am, though they do say that they have on site staff all the time. They have security on duty at night. I booked a studio, but due to my status with Priority Club, I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite. I did look into one of the Studios, and they are about the same, just smaller with no door on the bedroom. All rooms have a nice size fridge, microwave, sink, kitchen ware, microwave, kitchen table. The living room (or sitting area in a studio) has a TV, VCR, DVD Player, CD player, etc. The rooms themselves are looking a little dated, but are clean enough.

The bedroom / bed area contain a queen bed, and a TV.

As for the common facilities, they have quite a few great offerings. Outside there is a nice sitting area with a gas grill available. (No pool at Candlewood.) Inside, they have a small but sufficient workout room with treadmill, weight machine, bike, and some other equipment. They also have free use of washers and dryers to do your laundry. They also have an honor system for convenience foods - just choose and charge to your room or pay cash. Also, they offer free video and DVD checkout.

Hotel is quiet and is reasonably priced given the unique benefits.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business