“My second choice, but nice enough”

Candlewood Suites - Austin South
Ranked #116 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“My second choice, but nice enough”
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Overall this Candlewood is pretty nice. I normally stay at the Hampton Inn across the freeway, but since Priority Club is having some really good promotions right now, I decided to go ahead and stay at the Candlewood. The rate is about the same as the Hampton Inn, with a bit lower service offerings, but is a different type of hotel as the Candlewood is a bit more designed as a limited service extended stay.

The area is not the absolute best available, but is convenient to the south side of Austin. There are quite a few restaurants a few exits up, but the only ones in easy walking distance are Burger King and Furrs Cafeteria.

This Candlewood, as all others, does not have front desk staff from 11pm till 7am, though they do say that they have on site staff all the time. They have security on duty at night. I booked a studio, but due to my status with Priority Club, I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite. I did look into one of the Studios, and they are about the same, just smaller with no door on the bedroom. All rooms have a nice size fridge, microwave, sink, kitchen ware, microwave, kitchen table. The living room (or sitting area in a studio) has a TV, VCR, DVD Player, CD player, etc. The rooms themselves are looking a little dated, but are clean enough.

The bedroom / bed area contain a queen bed, and a TV.

As for the common facilities, they have quite a few great offerings. Outside there is a nice sitting area with a gas grill available. (No pool at Candlewood.) Inside, they have a small but sufficient workout room with treadmill, weight machine, bike, and some other equipment. They also have free use of washers and dryers to do your laundry. They also have an honor system for convenience foods - just choose and charge to your room or pay cash. Also, they offer free video and DVD checkout.

Hotel is quiet and is reasonably priced given the unique benefits.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank pcsanity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Okay, I did get this hotel on Priceline for $38, so perhaps I'm biased, but I've enjoyed my stay at Candlewood South!
The place is clean even tho because they are an extended stay facility they don't provide daily housekeeping, but quite frankly I never like having strangers in my room, I've had too many petty robberies
The front desk is helpful and friendly, they gave me the room type I wanted even tho I am a Priceline customer (which at some hotels will get you a smoke filled broom closet with a sewer drip)
AND they printed out my airline tickets, all with a smile!
It's got FREE laundry facilities
and a full kitchen with plenty of pots n pans and plates and utensils (as opposed to the 4 pieces of silverware and 1 plate you get at Extended StayAmerica properties)
The location is perfect for me, right off I 35, and close to the airport and downtown Austin
Hey, for $38 a night I just can't say enough good things about this place!

• Liked — For $38 a night on Priceline, everything!
  • Disliked — No problems
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank coando
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed September 15, 2006

There's no daily cleaning service. I arrived and my "non-smoking" room reeks of cigarettes. And since the place is full, the only thing they can offer me is some cherry chemical spray to toss around my room.

One plus: free internet. So as soon as I arrived, I sat down and booked myself a sweet deal for a different hotel via the internet. I quickly cancelled my remaining nights here and now I'll be staying for the rest of my trip at the Omni Downtown for exactly the same price as Candlewood. Good luck.

• Liked — Front desk guy is nice.
  • Disliked — The stink. Seriously, this room really smells bad.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't book a room here.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank diastematic
Fairborn, Ohio
Reviewed September 2, 2006

My wife, myself and our dog were in town and needed a large room in a hotel that accepted pets. We were in town during a University of Texas football weekend. The candlewood suites was one of my only options so I did not know what to expect.

Location, the hotel is located right off of 35 and 290W and this means you are about 5 miles south of the downtown area of Austin. The area didn't seem too bad and it mostly consists of restaurants, hotels and car dealerships. The hotel does have security in place at night and the security person was very nice and helpful in assisting us with any questions we had about parking, etc.

The hotel itself is for the most part clean. We had a nice suite that included a kitchen area, living room, bathroom and bedroom. There was plenty of room for my wife, myself and a crate for our dog. We also had access to a side entrance which allow us easy access to take our dog outside for needed potty breaks. The room was clean and has everything for in-room dining (utensils, appliances, dishwasher, fridge, etc.).

There is also a workout area (treadmills) and a food "honor system" pantry. You enter this area with your room key, pick out what you want and fill out a paper outlining what you took and that you want to charge it to your room. This worked out great since we pulled in late our first night and just didn't feel like getting back in the car for a small dinner snack. Picked out a microwave pizza, a soda and some ice cream and I was in business.

Our only discouraging moment at the hotel was a group of kids playing soccer in the second floor hallway. We were able to handle this situation ourself but man, don't any of these parents care about guests on the lower floors? The rest of our stay was quiet which is really all I ask for from a hotel stay, just peace and quiet.

If I were in Austin again I would highly considering staying at the Candlewood Suites. It worked out perfect for our dog situation and for the money it is a pretty good deal.

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank hondast1100
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 6, 2005

We like Candlewood Suites, but this one close to Austin is a little more worn than others we have been in, although we were still happy with the value. The refrigerator, kitchen, coffeemaker, free laundry facilities and easy parking make Candlewood one of my favourite hotels. Although this was quite close to Austin, the E Ben White Intersection was a challenge. If you are travelling from the north, the hotel can be difficult to find. Although on the interstate, there was no traffic noise and it was easy to see from the window when the morning traffic peak had passed. We found Austin to be a fantastic city with great cafes for lunch and dinner and the 6th Street music was great. Best of all was the smoke free atmosphere. We also loved the Capitol, the History Museum, Whole Foods, The Old Pecan Street Cafe, the free Dillo trams, the Irish Pub and of course - the bats.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed April 27, 2005

We didn't realise before we arrived that this was from the 'budget automated motorist's hotel' genre. ie. one of those where you book, there's one reception clerk / manager on the desk, and then everything else is automated. Great for people passing through on business/leisure, where all you're interested in is a clean bed and a shower and to get back on the road.

Actually, this is a variation; the Candlewood Suite we stayed in had quite a few facilities, including a reasonably sized, well-equipped gym, an 'honesty shop' (take what you want from the unattended storeroom, drop the cash in a slot) - with snacks, basic foods, washing powder, etc, small self-service laundrette, and so on. Videos to borrow for free from the front desk.

In the room was an electric hob, large fridge/freezer, iron, microwave, and various other facilities, plus a reasonably-sized TV. Fast internet access is also available and free.

The reason I liked it was that although it was budget, the general ambience was not to scrimp and save on the small things, but to include them in order to make your stay more comfortable. Free bottled water, for example. The honesty shop, aside from being convenient, could be seen to help an atmosphere of trust and community in the hotel. An actually quite decent gym you could use regularly, NOT just a token machine or two in order to be able to say "Gym" on the website. The desk clerk was hurried and busy, as you'd expect in such a place, but gruffly friendly and, most importantly, genuine. We only stayed for one night, but I actually felt some affection for the place.

Shower, TV, room size, etc. were all fine.

So: I assume this is true for all Candlewood Suites, if they follow the same format. My summary is that they are very well-thought-out versions of the budget hotel, and make an effort to make you 'feel at home', and feel comfortable - a key difference from most I've stayed in. The facilities are definitely targetted at long-stay guests (the gym, laundrette, etc), but it's just as good for overnighters.

If travelling, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005