“Good enough”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Willis, Texas, United States
“Good enough”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Needed a place for a night or two. Referral through AAA. It's just off I-35 so it's an easy in and out of Austin. Room was comfortable. The free breakfast was served in what is now a bar and grill. (Really not sure if this is a great idea for someplace that might have children along with the guests.) Standard breakfast fare, but the one meal I had there was strictly bar and grill quality which means if you're not drinking, you're not going to enjoy it that much. Couldn't believe that they didn't serve lunch, so I found it a bit annoying. All in all, if you needed a short stay, it's ok.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in a room facing outside. Rain made it uncomfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Debbie S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit overall. I apologize that you did not enjoy your meal at the Blue Moon. I have passed your comments onto the Blue Moon owners and they have assured me that they are updating their menus with some mouth watering options in the near future. Unfortunately, due to space confines and the way the hotel was built, we do not have other options of where to place our daily hot breakfast buffet. Most parents do not mind that alcohol is served in the restaurant at night, but I take it to heart that you wish we had other space. While our restaurant is not busy enough to keep open for lunch, we are within walking distance of the Starbucks, Denny's, and Luby's. Perhaps if lunch trends change in the future, we will be able to stay open for lunch as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
CA
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here over Labor Day weekend. The hotel had a very modern, clean look, the lobby was colorful and looked well kept and appealing. Check-in was fast and problem-free, and the room (3rd floor pool view) was great with a red/white theme, and no problems with any facilities, everything was there and worked fine - air conditioner, flatscreen, fridge, microwave, wifi etc.
The hotel is very secure, we actually had to swipe the keycard three times each time we returned to out room - an outside door, then an inner door by the elevator, then the room itself.
Only tried the breakfast once, the usual bacon, eggs, toast, cereals, muffins etc. The breakfast is in the bar & grill area and has a pleasant atmosphere. The food was fine - wanted to try other local places on the other days though!
Location wise, if you don't have a car you will probably need to get a cab or bus to get downtown as it is a few miles outside of the main hot spots. Overall this was a good experience and I'd stay again and would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard/pool view room if you don't want to face the highway or a car park
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Debbie S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you so much for the detailed review! I am glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to 'wowing' you again in the future!
Tilden
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The whole hotel appeared to have been recently remodeled. The lobby was very large and comfortable. There is a Bar and Grill on site and, true to the Austin music culture, they had a very good blues band playing on Saturday night. The food was not unique but it was good. There is no food room service but the food is available "to go" and it was a good after the football game meal. My only recommendation would be that they up-size their beds from double to queen size.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Debbie S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for the great review! The Blue Moon Bar & Grill is actually operated separately from the hotel but I will pass your suggestion on to the management. I will also pass on your suggestion about bed types to our ownership. We look forward to your next visit!
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I saw this spot on Groupon a couple months ago and really loved what I saw. I don't usually like to get things like hotel rooms on Groupon but this little gem caught my eyes instantly. So I decided to plan a surprise weekend getaway for my fiance and I during his birthday weekend. I did not tell him where we were staying so he did not see it until we arrived. The place looks exactly how it looks on photos and probably even better. We only stayed one night but we did not want to leave. This place is absolutely awesome! Very modern chic and not that expensive even without the Groupon. Everything was perfect..... The breakfast, the live music they played one night. Just beautiful. This will continue to be our place to stay when we take little trips to Austin. Thank you guys for a comfortable stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle D
Debbie S, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We look forward to welcoming you back to Austin each time you can sneak away for a fun weekend.
Bellevue, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We enjoyed our 3-day stay here very much. It was recently renovated and it is very convenient and close to I-35 and to downtown Austin without being right in the city. Don't miss the Nestle coffee machine in the lounge area. It was the best with many delicious options for everyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Debbie S, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thanks for letting folks know how much you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Shhh! I too sneak an espresso from the Lobby Coffee Service area on Mondays!
United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Remodeled cute hotel, updated rooms and amenities, lounge/bar on property nice bonus, relaxing pool/hot tub and courtyard. Enjoyed our stay, but wouldn't pay extra for a pool view again. Very convenient to downtown without the hustle and bustle and overpriced parking, etc. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again!
Lubbock, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Everything about this freshly renovated hotel was a pleasant surprise and a cut above the usual chain hotel experience. I enjoyed the view of the lush courtyard/pool/spa area from the balcony of my quiet, comfortable guest room, and I appreciated the attention to design details evident throughout the property. Its contemporary elegance and soothing color scheme featured a few retro details that added to the delight of my stay. Loved it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We look forward to seeing you again soon!