“OK, will not go back. Pick another hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Inn Austin

Comfort Inn Austin
Ranked #147 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Tampa, Florida
“OK, will not go back. Pick another hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for two nights will in Austin on business. The hotel is in a good location with access to I-35, 183, and with decent food selections nearby. However, given the issues (below) I will not be back.

Location:
In the Highland Mall area of Austin. This is an OK area, but a bit run down, but safe enough. The access to the interstate and highways was great, so that is a major plus. There is a Applebees next door and other restaurants nearby.

Hotel Property:
A bit run down, but clearly it had been remodeled a few years back. The Lobby is small and directly adjacent to the eating area and indoor pool. Plenty of parking and a fenced lot, which is nice.

Staff:
Friendly enough, but nothing special.

Rooms:
The room was nice looking, and the bed was new enough. It looked clean, but I doubt it was as clean as it looked. When I was checking in the people that had just checked in ahead of me came to the front desk to let the gentlemen know that a dirty towel was on the bathroom floor. When I got to my room there were two napkins (used) and two plastic tubs (like take out sauce comes in) on the floor just under the edge of the bed. This leads me to believe that the room only looked clean, but in fact had not been cleaned very thoroughly.

That said, the bed was comfortable and the mattress seemed to be newer. The AC was cold enough, but it made a odd clanking sound when it was shutting off....

There was also a desk and mini-fridge. The fridge seemed new because the stickers were still on the front....but it never really got cold enough that I would store anything other than drinks in.

Bathroom:
Typical hotel bathroom, nothing special. Typical soap and shampoo. Decent water pressure and temp.

TV:
Nice flat screen TV with decent channel selection.

Internet:
This hotel had the absolutely slowest internet (wireless) for any hotel I have been in since 2000. Seriously, it was awful. Even casual internet browsing took forever to load. For anyone on business that needs to use the internet this is an issue. They should not advertise that it is "High Speed". It was about as fast as my dial up service in 1998.

Breakfast:
I did not eat here as I felt the cleanliness of the rooms would translate to poor cleanliness of the non-public areas and food storage.

Overall:
If the internet had been fast I could overlook the other issues since the price is low....but with a dirty room, I will not be back and cannot recommend this property. Choice hotels needs to re-evaluate their brand, they really seem to be slipping on quality.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the interstate.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Stephen Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The breakfast was typical and what I expected, they did have texas shape waffle makers! The room was very big I got the king/queen room and there was enough space in the middle for a queen blow up mattress. The hotel was pretty full and the noise level was not even noticable, I would stay here again. A side note though : The halls did not smell very well on the 3rd floor and the beds were not horrible but not as good as Pascagoulas comfort inn. Do not stay here if you are looking for luxery or romance lol.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy M
Grapevine, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel sits right off of I35, and I was pleasantly surprised how quiet the hotel is. The staff was friendly and actually were aware of their incoming reservations well enough that they identified me by name before I had even started the check in process. Traveling as a single dad with two teenagers must really stand out. In the morning a different clerk even asked if my son was alright, he slept in a little later than my daughter and I. The pool was indoors and not quite warm but the hot tub hit the spot. Breakfast had a nice variety, The hotel was a ten minute drive from the State Capitol. I will definitely be staying there again. This trip was a little business and a little family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RalphR2
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was there for SXSW. The rooms and facilities were generally clean and as expected for a Comfort Inn. However, because of SXSW, it was impossible to get a cab. After waiting one hour for a cab, and being on the verge of missing my flight back home, the manager went through herculean efforts to make sure I got to the airport. It was very important to him that his guests get what they need, and I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for somewhere to stay in the Austin area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

stayed here for the weekend for the Formula One Grand Prix. Chose this hotel because it was the only one that was open for booking almost a year ahead and because it was the only one under $400 a night. Normally I wouldn't pay over $300 for a Comfort Inn but considering the entire city was sold out, I understand they are just following supply and demand. The hotel itself was pretty clean and had everything I needed. I was in room 119 and it looked like it had pretty new furniture and was very clean. It was nice having a working microwave and refrigerator and the TV had an excellent channel lineup though not in HD. the location is pretty central and close to major highways so it's easy to get anywhere relatively quickly though there wasn't much around the hotel other than other budget hotels and inns. I had requested and gotten an accessible room though the area to wheel around the beds was pretty tight and not the most comfortable. The bathroom was very spacious however. In the end, I don't require too much and the hotel served well for a “relative” low-price. The free breakfast was also nice for a quick grab and go to the track.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Euless, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

A nice quiet hotel. Internet, TV, pool, hot tub, clean rooms, coffe pot, fridge, microwave and hot breakfast. Good value, nothing extravagant but clean and comfortable. What else is there really when you're away from home and needing a decent place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Richardson, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

After staying at a terrible Comfort Inn in Sidney, NE we decided to give the chain another try in Austin. This Comfort Inn was great! It is updated and clean. The indoor pool offered a refreshing break from the heat. The hotel is located right on 35, so it was an easy drive to the UT Campus. We will stay there again when we visit our son at UT. The breakfast was very good too---waffles, eggs, sausage, cereals, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, coffee. Our room was a little warm, so we had to turn the AC all the way down, but it cooled off after that. If highway noise bothers you, I recommend you ask for a room at the side of the hotel away from the highway. The surrounding neighborhood is not very nice, but we felt safe and comfortable within the fenced in parking lot. Overall, a very good hotel at a very good price.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by highway noise, ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from I35.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple