“An enjoyable stay for a nice weekend away.”

Courtyard Austin Northwest/Arboretum
Ranked #87 of 199 Hotels in Austin
Dallas
“An enjoyable stay for a nice weekend away.”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

There were a few things that I loved about this hotel that I thought brought a unique flair. Upon entering the hotel they had a large beverage dispenser of iced water with lemon slices. It was nice and refreshing.
I loved that the pool and hot tub were opened 24 hours. The first night we were the only ones in the pool and the second night there were a few people in there. The part I loved was that there weren’t little kids running around doing cannon balls into the pool. Very relaxing!
There were a few issues that I did notice. The front doors were not automatic doors. I wouldn't think twice about this, but it was cumbersome trying to roll the luggage cart in and have the door remain open. Luckily there was a housekeeper leaving when I was entering who helped me by opening the door for me.
The ice machine on the third floor did not work the entire time we stayed there. We notified the front desk and they said they would take care of it, but it was never fixed. We had to go to second floor.
There wasn't a mini fridge in the hotel room. I wasn't the one who booked the hotel, but after reviewing the hotel's website about the room it doesn't state that it had one. I thought it was a little bit strange, but we had an ice chest to keep drinks cold.
The second day after housekeeping cleaned the room we noticed we didn’t have an ice bag for the bucket. We asked the front desk and she stated she had a roll of them. She handed use a small trash bag. I don’t know is she realized they were trash bags or not.
Our room had a balcony with a nice little sitting area that looked out onto trees and the former IRS building that is still being repaired from the airplane crash. During the evenings there were a few restaurants that had live bands that were extremely loud while sitting outside. However, once the patio door was closed we couldn’t hear it.
We booked this hotel on a deal from travel website which stated we would receive two $20 Visa gift cards at check out. When we went to the counter they asked if we needed a copy of the receipt and we had to explain to them about the cards. They looked up the reservations and gave us one $20 gift card. It wasn’t until we stated we were supposed to receive two that they gave the second one.
I enjoyed our stay at the hotel with no real big complaints. I would stay at this hotel again. The location of it was in a great location. Shopping, restaurants and just driving around this area was beautiful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ADFWTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bay City, Texas
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We were staying in Austin for the Triathelon and we are not familiar with the city. The staff was very helpful by providing maps and directions and even made the taxi arrangements to townlake for my husband.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2010

First of all I was very impressed when someone from the hotel had sent me an e-mail a few days before my arrival, welcoming to the hotel and making sure i had a contact if there was anything I needed. When I arrived it was Samantha, the same girl who had e-mailed me who checked us in and she was just a delight. Everyone was very friendly, I appreciated the fact that they had balcony rooms with chairs so I was able to have a cigarette without having to go downstairs and outside of the hotel. I also loved the adjoining rooms, it came in very handy. It is an older property but it is maintained quite well and is very clean. I especially loved the container full of fresh ice cold water with lemons inside the lobby. It was extremely refreshing coming in out of the heat to something so delicious.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I stay at this hotel very often and recommend it to colleagues and friends whenever I hear Austin, TX. While the hotel is not ultra modern, it is clean and comfortable yet, best of all, are the people who work there. Staff is extremely friendly and that is something I CONSISTENTLY find at this hotel, no matter the season, no matter the day. I read a review of someone who had a bad experience at the front desk, which I find odd because I have had nothing but good things to say about the staff. To me, this more than makes up for the decor. The hotel is also very close to shopping and entertainment (read the Domain and Arboretum Areas next to it) but you can also hop on to the nearby highways and in 15 minutes you are Downtown!. I travel the world for business and pleasure and I have stayed in many hotels, so I can tell you this one is definitely one you can't beat for the price and service you get.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Staff attitude makes a big difference to me, especially when dissatisfied with the room. It all started with the guy at the front desk who booked my stay with his bad attitude. That, along with a stinky, dirty room, "forget it!"

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
cynw1105, General Manager at Courtyard Austin Northwest/Arboretum, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about our hotel. As a team we typically rate very high in customer service scores and we are committed to taking great care of our guests. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences during your stay and hope that if you are ever in Austin again that you would give us another opportunity to make things right.
We appreciate your feedback as it raises our level of awareness and commitment,
Crystal Schwartz
New York
Reviewed April 30, 2007

The rooms smell musty (I looked at 2- both smelled), the whirlpool had dirt in it, the gym had garbage in it, and they charge for breakfast (unlike other Courtyards I've stayed at).

As for the staff, you decide:

They put me in the wrong room at first, and even though it was the wrong room, the key didn't work.

Next, the lobby smells of natural gas every afternoon. When I mentioned it, they didn't seem to care, because they say it always smells that way. I expressed concern about possible danger, but no luck- they still didn't think it was an issue.

• Stayed March 2010
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank odin4566
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed April 26, 2007

Staff was friendly and courteous. Room was clean. Outside room was noisy as it was near the freeway and not well sound proofed - ask for an inside (courtyard) room. Bed was comfortable but not special. In room air conditioner/heater was noisy. Breakfast was pleasant and again with friendly and courteous staff, food quality was not special, but the area was clean and hygenic. A no smoking hotel - great!

Public computers with printers, by the lobby, were in good working condition and handy for printing boarding passes. In-room internet worked flawlessly.

No safe in room (at least I didn't see one).

The registration desk staff knew where the restaurant list was, but had nothing to say about recommendations. A fellow guest recommended NXNW - a micro-brew pub with varied menu just down the street, not next door but within walking distance - which was reasonably priced, comfortable for business discussions, good food, and good beer.

• Stayed April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pickybutnotpampered