“Sometimes Management makes the difference”

Courtyard Austin South
Ranked #92 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Sometimes Management makes the difference”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at this property because of the easy access to I-35 as I needed to travel south of Austin for work each day. I was unaware that there was a full service Marriott next door or I would have selected it for the Concierge Level privileges. This us an older property and the exterior, more than the interior, shows its age. The parking lot is a little unkempt and stripes, curbs, etc could use a coat of paint. The lobby has been upgraded to the new Courtyard standard. The hallways, however, look dated although they were kept clean. The rooms have been updated but, perhaps due to size constraints, are not "standard Courtyard". The room, for example, lacked the separate counter across from the wash basin where the cofee maker, glasses and ice bucket are usually found.

My recent negative comments with Marriott have always focused on housekeeping and this was no exception. I use several sugars in my morning coffee so, rather than open two of the caddy packets provided wasting the contents except for the sugar, I simply bring sugar and stirrers from downstairs and place them in a cup next to the cofeemaker. The following day the sugar, stirrers and cup were gone. I replaced the items and wrote a note, in Spanish, "Por favor no me toquen la azucar!" Problem solved. The next day however housekeeping saw fit to remove two Thera-Bands used for physical therapy that I had left hooked on the front door hinge. Although they represent virtually no monetary value I brought it to the attention of the front desk clerk as I left for dinner. Upon my return I received a call from the Assistant Manager, Mr. Jeremy Sherman, who thought that the minor incident was important enough for him to try to resolve. He put his detective hat on and, by the time I had returned from dinner he had located the bands and delivered them personally to my room. Jeremy, thank you very much for exemplifying the meaning of customer service.

Again, sometimes management makes the difference; I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank recumbentrider
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We appreciate your feedback so that we can define our strengths and weaknesses as a hotel and pinpoint what we can do to make everyone's stay better. We are currently in touch with a contractor to update our parking lot and outdoor areas.

We will also instruct our housekeeping team to not take such items out of the rooms, but to rather tidy up the rooms instead. We will also inform Jeremy of what a great job he did and to keep up the great customer service!

Thank you for staying at our hotel and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Austin!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2013

When traveling to Austin on a overnight trip, I try to stay at a hotel near the freeway for quick access on the road home. Somehow, I landed in this Courtyard which I assumed would be the same quality as others that I have stayed in. Unfortunately, it was hard to get to -- the hotel itself recommends using an address in your GPS that routes you to the back of the hotel. While the hotel looks like a Courtyard -- it was worn, run down with poor quality bedding, towels and bathroom accessories. Unlikely to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee W
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are so sorry for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us but please know we've been and will continue to be in touch with the City of Austin about getting our physical address updated on the GPS mapping systems.

We have also recently gotten our carpets cleaned and had much of our linens, bedding, and bath towels replaced.

We hope you will us another try on your next visit to Austin!

Krista Lewis
Director of Sales
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stay almost exclusively at Marriott chains so I was disappointed in this Courtyard. It needs some cleaning in the hallways, the elevator is dirty (and slow) and the rooms need some punch. I find most Courtyard and Fairfield Marriott's are crisp and clean but this one just didn't measure up.

On the positive - the location is an easy 10 minutes to the airport and to the University of Texas and downtown Austin. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast purchased from the Bistro was good (although understaffing seemed to be a problem.) Additionally the Bistro closes at 9:30 am for breakfast on weekdays which seems peculiar as I saw a steady stream of disappointed hotel guests after 9:30 get told the Bistro was closed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We really value input from experienced guests like you, as it helps us to provide even better service in the future. We are glad you found our staff to be friendly and that you enjoyed The Bistro food, but disappointed that we did not provide our usual expected level of service in other areas. We have recently added additional staff to ensure every guest enjoys a quick, relaxing breakfast as well as a clean hotel. We look forward to your next visit so you can see the improvements that have been made. Thanks again for your constructive insight.
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Close to downtown and airport. Only around 10minutes to downtown. Good value compared to rates for hotels downtown. Bistro is nice to have on site. It was great to have a hot sandwich without going out after traveling all day. Service was very good. Everything you expect from Courtyard .

• Stayed October 2012
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay in Austin Texas! I'm glad you took advantage of our Bistro Dinner Service. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope you come back for another trip to Austin and will try one of our breakfast plates!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. The lobby has had a nice update, however the rooms still feel old and musty. Another guest in the wedding party found a giant rusted screw on their floor - thank goodness there were no children in the room. The staff was friendly and the room was ok but I think you could find a newer hotel for around the same price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We are a newly renovated property and I am sorry to hear that your room had a particular smell. Everyone in our staff is trained to solve such issues. We hope you did have the chance to bring the attention to our staff & we were able to take care of the smell or move you to another room. We take great pride in being of service and we do hope that you will give our hotel another try.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This Courtyard is the standard reliable layout of the new and improved Courtyard's that have been rolling out through the country. Great value, friendly staff, continues to be my go-to hotel. Only a short drive to downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind response and allowing us the opportunity to be of service. We are a newly renovated hotel, and we appreciate that you have taken the time to write a review. We are very excited to have you return.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Booked this location thru Priceline to be near family. Excellent location. Clean room and a very comfy bed. More spacious than I expected. I found that the a/c did muffle the traffic noise. I messed up my reservation, leaving us one day short and could not find availability here one the Internet. Front desk was able to get us another room for the extra night, charging us a reasonable rate. We were greeted by name! When entering the property and the staff was always smiling and super friendly. Very pleased with our stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about our hotel. We will be sure to address your review to our staff and let them know what a wonderful job they do and how much it means to our guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to return soon!