“Came to town for the 2008 AT&T Austin Marathon (...mixed review)”

Courtyard Austin South
Ranked #98 of 199 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Abilene, Texas
“Came to town for the 2008 AT&T Austin Marathon (...mixed review)”
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I wanted a place to get a couple nights peaceful rest prior to my run. For this I can not complain. The place was fairly quiet and the staff polite. I caught myself wishing I could grab a bite of oat meal before I went out for my run though. The bed was good and bath tub large (two can bathe together), but the room was very cramped. I felt like I was living in a submarine. With tax the nightly rate was around $103. 00. I was told this was a "good" rate. Historically, I have had more room at some Motel 6's. Sorry guys, all I can give you is an average rating. In the future I would use you again, but only in a pinch.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We had a foul up with our reservation at another Austin hotel, so we called the Marriott 800 number to check on availability in the Austin area. This was the world's most helpful woman! She quoted us terrific rates for three or four hotels. The Courtyard was the least expensive, so we made reservations there. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a very efficient and courteous desk clerk who answered every question and offered tons of helpful suggestions regarding our stay. Everything about the hotel was very nice except breakfast -- go to a restaurant and eat. It was overpriced and cold.

• Liked — Front desk
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Handcole
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 16, 2006

This White Lodging-managed property is getting long in the tooth. Rooms have not been renovated to the newest Courtyard standard, and while the bed is acceptable, the furnishings, tiny 20" TV, carpet and wall coverings all belong much more in 1996 than in 2006. White Lodging is usually very good about maintaining Marriott standards for renovation schedules, but this Courtyard is at least three years behind.

Effective, well, immediately, this Courtyard shouldn't be referred to as Austin South/Airport. A brand new Courtyard has just opened adjacent to the airport. I'll definitely give that one a try on my next Austin trip. No doubt this new Courtyard will reflect the current Courtyard standard architecture and finish level.

White Lodging's employees are as friendly as ever - no issues with service, cleanliness or hospitality at all. It's just, sadly, a Courtyard that's getting old.

• Liked — Courtyard and White Lodging standard friendliness and hospitality
  • Disliked — Long overdue for a renovation
  • Tips/Secrets — Odd numbered rooms are best, as they face away from IH-35
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank DenverBrian
Houston, TX
Reviewed September 11, 2006

This was a typical Courtyard and have no complaints. The staff was nice and the location was fine; right off the higway and next to three or four other Marriott properties (they own the block). The drive north to downtown would take a solid 5 minutes non-peak time (I was there over the weekend). There were several restaurants on the other side of the highway. I would stay here again for the right price.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LIVEINHOuSTON
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 7, 2005

I recently stayed at this facility and had mixed feelings. I was ALWAYS greeted with a warm, cheerful smile from the desk staff. They were awesome. The pool, spa and workout rooms were great. The restaurant for breakfast was good and reasonably priced.

The rooms, however, well...they were lacking. They were VERY, VERY plain. Clean, but very boring. I felt like I was in a budget hotel. The one redeeming value was the FREE Wi-Fi internet access. That was a nice touch.

The biggest complaint I had was the food. The room service they offer is from a restaurant near by which served food of sub-standard quality. However, there are a few restaurants nearby that are good. Next to the Marriott there is a Vietnamese restaurant that is exceptional and reasonably priced. I also recommend the Texas Land and Cattle Restaurant on the other side of the road. Best steak I have had in some time.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business