“Covered in Ants! Worse experience ever..” 1 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Austin South
Ranked #113 of 197 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Covered in Ants! Worse experience ever..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

What is worse than a delayed flight that ultimately gets cancelled at 10:30pm... Than getting a voucher to a Marriott hotel that doesn't have any rooms.. To find out the airlines desk that booked the room doesn't reopen till 4am.... To then be shuttled across town to another Marriott that wouldn't take the voucher and finally did (with a little coaxing of how to process a direct bill via 45min later -- and I wasn't even a Marriott employee) to then put a sleeping child in bed without turning on the lights (which I know better than to crawl into a hotel bed without checking) to wake up 1.5 hours later covered in ants!
.... Let's just say I jumped up swiping ants off my daughter and pulling her out of bed to put her in the shower to step on a carpet full of crickets! Then when I complained to the night manager, I get a "your waisting my time sorry" response -- like it was an imposition for him to even listen to me. My daughter and I have ant bites from head to toe and itch all over.

I have been a Marriott brand lover for over 10 years and I have never been so disappointed and disgusted in my life! If this is how the night managers are trained by Marriott to treat all their "weary" travelers, then I will never stay in another Marriott again. In fact, I will never stay at this one again.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book a room with Marriott, you check all your bed linens and around the bed to en...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ArmyWife007
, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are sorry for the inconvenience experiences you had during your stay with us. We do not frequently have passengers that stay at our location when a flight has been cancelled, so I do apologize that the checkin process took a little longer than it usually does but please know that we've been working hard on ensuring that our guest is satisfied and training our staff accordingly. It seems that the crickets, the little "buggers" have decided to vacation in Austin and enjoy the warmth. We've had a specialist come weekly to control our cricket friends, but it seems they walk through the welcoming doors and try everything in their power to spend time with us. Fortunately, the Chinese have said for centuries that the cricket is a sign of good luck and prosperity! We hope you will give us another try as we do try do everything in our power to make your stay with more enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

After a year of visiting Marriott and Hilton properties in the Austin and San Antonio markets I have finally found a hotel that works! Super clean, easy parking and quick to respond to customer requests (I requested a room away from the block of rooms occupied by the high school track teams and the accompanying noise issues with HS students on the road). HD channels that actually work and internet access that did not crash every 30 minutes. A large desk to get some work done at night and the best bed I have encountered in years. It's walking distance to the Marriott and their restaurant or only 5 min. from lots of local choices. I will be back often!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel! We appreciate the kind words and will be passing this along to our staff. We take pride in our newly renovated hotel but love the opportunity to be of service when we can! We look forward to your return to the Courtyard by Marriott Austin South!
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

The building is very close to IH-35 and the front rooms have very poor soundproofing. Even the running air conditioner did not drown out the noise from the road. As noted in another review, the floors are also incredibly thin, and it sounded like the person in the room above me was having a flamenco dance competition in the room. The staff ranged from marginally helpful to disinterested. The room itself was in good condition, but the noise coming from the freeway and the room above me, as well as the apathetic staff must be noted. The hotel certainly cannot pick up and move back a few hundred yards, but it can update the structure and provide a more helpful staff. On a one to ten scale, it's a five.

Room Tip: As for a room at the back of the hotel and ask for pair of ear plugs. If not--be prepared to feel l...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment and we apologize for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. Please know we are working very hard to ensure our staff is trained in properly responding in offering you options & making sure our guests are satisfied during their stay. We hope you will give us another try on your next visit to Austin!
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights during Graduation weekend based on a Priceline bid. Courtyard South lived up to (and exceeded) what I have come to expect for Courtyard Hotels. Our check in was fast and friendly. In fact every time we entered or exited the hotel we were greeted with a smile and a hello. They even provided us with a toothbrush when my fiancee discovered she forgot hers. The lobby appears to have been updated to the standard of most Courtyards nowadays. Sleek and modern furnishings with a TV and bar area. There is also a computer/printer dedicated for Airline boarding passes (direct links to airline websites) and two computers/printer for general browsing. I used both and found it to be very convenient. The lobby also had various complimentary snacks and beverages whenever we returned (chocolate chip cookies, popcorn, lemonade, water). We did not have breakfast or order room service.

Our room was a standard Courtyard room. It appeared to have been renovated somewhat recently. The layout of the bathroom was consistent with the older model of having the small sink space separate from the bathroom. Our room also came with free wi-fi that worked without any passwords or issues. Very convenient amenity to have and a major plus in my book! My three complaints with the room would be the lack of sink space, no mini-fridge and the lack of adequate lighting throughout. Especially in the bathroom!

The location was right off of I-35 northbound. It is easy to get to and from downtown area, but traffic is always a problem in Austin. I found the distance from downtown to be the same as the other batch of hotels at I-35 north and 290.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW! Thank you for taking the time to not only write a review but to allow other readers and opportunity to get an insight of our hotel! Thank you!! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and yes, Austin is a growing city! We look forward to having you back with us, hopefully sooner than later!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Courtyard South was very accomodating for our large, rowdy group. The manager had welcome baskets for us, the front desk helped arrange shuttles downtown, and no one minded our energetic afterparties. :) The hotel was clean, comfortable and the coffee was good. We would stay again!

The only downside was the amount of noise very early in the morning (7ish). It sounded like children running up and down the halls screaming. I think the walls were pretty thin.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We always welcome groups and enjoy having the energy in our hotel! We are certainly glad you enjoyed your weekend and thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to having you back.
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

We were in Austin for a sales meeting. I have to say that the service from the front desk (Saul and Nicolas) was exceptional. What's nice is that they remember who you are and your likes and dislikes. Super friendly. The room was clean, shower water pressure was just like home and breakfast was really good. My room had a balcony facing the highway. However, I didn't find it noisy at all.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Krista C, Director of Sales at Courtyard Austin South, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Thanks for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you soon!
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Service: The service is really good here. The folks at the front desk were friendly and always greeted me when I left and returned to the hotel.

Room cleaniness: The room is clean. I have no complaints. Even though it is looks a bit old, it is OK.

Deal killer: The thin floors!!! I stayed on the second floor. The floors are extremely thin. I can hear the people upstairs walking around. I can't get good sleep.

Room Tip: Stay on the highest floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are so sorry for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. but please know we’ve been working very hard to ensure our guests are well taken care during there stay and provide an option to better accomodate your stay here with us. We hope you will give us another try on your next visit to Austin!

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels