“Stay FAR AWAY from these hotels!”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy.
Ranked #146 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 25, 2009

This past weekend, we had reservations at an Austin Extended Stay hotel that were guaranteed with credit card -- and we had confirmation numbers for two rooms for two nights, non-smoking with king beds. Upon our late arrival (around 11 p.m.) the desk clerk (a very young man who said he had only been an employee about two weeks) said he was sorry to tell us that our rooms were not available. The only rooms he had were smoking with double beds. He was rude, didn't seem to care and said they were overbooked. He suggested we contact Expedia. When we told him we did NOT book through Expedia, but booked direct, he just replied, "Oh." We ended up going to another nearby hotel where we spent the weekend. My family will NEVER again use Extended Stay. Also ... a man in line behind us had the same problem. His reserved room was not available. There was no night manager on the property -- only the young kid who kept saying he was not responsible for the problems.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Swede19

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I saw all the less than good reviews for this hotel and since I like this hotel (this will be my 3rd time to stay) I thought I'd review it.
If you go to the hotel website, they state that toiletries are not provided but are available on request. They do provide 2 bar soaps and toilet paper. They also have hair dryers available at the front desk.
There is a full kitchen with some dishes, I always eat out so I don't if everything you could ever want to cook a meal is in there, but there are plates, glasses, eating utensils and some pots and pans. They provide 2 dish clothes, one is the smaller size, one the handtowel size. There is a coffee maker with coffee, cream, sugar, artificial sweeteners.
I found the bed to be comfortable, but I did not like the pillows so unless you like big overstuffed pillows (which many do, I just don't) then bring your own.
I felt the room layout was fine. There was plenty of space. The bathroom has a good amount of counter space, there's a little table close to the kitchen, there is a dresser and a desk and a chair with an ottoman/footrest.
The location is great if you want to go shopping or out to eat at the domain, it's one exit up and easy to get to. North by Northwest is also very close (pretty much next door) and there is a shopping center across the street.
This is an adequate hotel if you're looking for cheap and clean and a fridge to put all your leftovers in from all the great food there is in Austin. :)
Internet is available for a one time fee of $4.99 which I don't always get charged for.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Fun_in_Austin
Reviewed June 26, 2007

The Extended Stay hotel was really just okay. It wasn't terrible, but it was okay. My husband and I stayed there for a weekend -- we got a deal on the room through an Austin weekend package...I think that if I paid full price for a room there that I would be really disappointed and rate this really terrible. The rooms were a little smelly, but the front desk people really accomodated us by letting us change rooms twice. So...only stay here if you can get a good deal.
df

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sullivans0602
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Ok, it was clean and quiet, I'll give it that. BUT - having to go out to buy shampoo and conditioner at 9 pm, what hotel doesn't give shampoo? The fitness center is a drive to the local 24 hr fitness - which isn't open 24 hours. This is BARE BONES - my advice, go next door to the Marriott.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank torav
Reviewed February 12, 2007

The Marriott within two blocks had the same price as this one. Differences were: had daily room service, friendly staff, indoor exercise room, free daily newspaper and free hot breakfast buffet with wffles, sausage and egg, coffee, og, fruit, cereal, oatmeal just a variety of breakfast items. For the same price i would stay anywhere else but Marriott.

They "lost" my reservation upon arrival and they had booked me to a smoking room. When I refused, they offered to cancel my room. I insisted that I get a non-smoking room all while the receptionist offering dirty looks. complete waste of time considering there were no other motels available within the training center.

NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2006

I got the Extended Stay America in the NW Arboretum area thru priceline. The hotel was some ways off from the downtown area and there are no restaurants nearby. We anyway wanted to spend the night downtown and so drove down there. The lady in the reception desk was extremely polite and helpful and the room was neat but the bed was way too small for two people. They didnt have shampoos in the bathroom just a couple of bar of soaps and no tissues. They had a kitchen with a microwave and a full size fridge. They had put up a sign that they will clean the room and do the beds only once a week. I guess I wouldnt prefer staying more than a night here. The hotel was good but I'm not sure I would prefer staying there again just because of the distance from down town and also because of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank krisans5
Reviewed December 4, 2005

I visited Austin for 10 days to be with family for the Thanksgiving holiday. I decided on the Extended Stay "Deluxe", because A) the space I've come to associate with the rooms and B) the $49 rate I was quoted via the website for a "2 Room Suite 1 Queen Bed and Sofa Sleeper"

When I arrived at the property, I was informed there were no rooms with that description. The property has only two floors, but there is no elevator, which made it difficult with 2 weeks worth of luggage.

The room itself was very small. A strange design makes very poor use of the available space. While sitting on the bed, it's possible to reach out and touch both the dresser (which the t.v. sits atop) and the sofa, at the same time. The work desk/kitchen table is attached to the wall, so it can't be moved to make better use of the wasted area in the kitchen. The room does include a full size refridgerator, dishwasher, sink, 2 burner stove. Also included is a large sauce pan, small pot, knives, forks and spoons. There are no cooking utensils (as advertised by the website), no papertowels (though there's a dispenser), nor dishwashing liquid for the sink or dishwasher.

There is a sink outside of the bathroom, with a mirror, flanked by an open closet. The bathroom is decent sized. The air conditioning unit sits inches from the bed and is moderately noisy. A positive is the number of outlets in the unit, normally a difficult find in hotel rooms.

As an extended stay policy, guests staying 7 days or more recieve one full cleaning for the stay and one refresh - new towels and trash emptying. I checked in on a Sunday, and got my refresh on Wed, but didn't get my full cleaning until Sunday, a day before I checked out. The staff did not use soap for the dishes in the dishwasher.

I can say the front desk staff was very eager to help with any requests - extra pillows, blankets, etc. Overall, the property itself is in need of some upgrades, which supposedly are happening. It is not very clean, nor is it unsanitary. I rate the stay so low, because incorrect description on the website, lack of services like an elevator and the extremely small living area - especially for an extrended stay property, which usually tries to avoid clausterphobic spacing in rooms (think new york city budget hotel room size), due to guests staying for an extended period of time.

One extra bit of information about the location. It's listed as "Arboretum", but it's not actually in the Arboretum. Though it's not far, it is on the other side of Loop 1. In just about any part of Austin, you're never more than a 5 minute drive from a supermarket, store or place to eat, but there is only a pizza place and a ben & jerry's store within walking distance of this property. My rate was adjusted to $34, but that's only because I was there more than 7 days and recieved the weekly rate. This review would have been terrible had I been staying 6 days at the $74@day rate.

15  Thank Tynkility