“Avoid this crap hole” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #135 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Seattle, Washington
“Avoid this crap hole”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Lighting fixtures that don't work. Lots of noise from adjacent rooms. Free low-speed internet, but if you want a connection that doesn't suck (i.e. allows you to watch a low-res YouTube video), you'll have to pay extra. The laundry room costs two bucks for each washer or dryer use, which would be okay I guess if the dryer actually worked. Oh, and if you want detergent, you might have to go a half mile to Target, since they told me they wouldn't have any detergent available for a couple of days (it's the attention to details that really puts this place over the top). The "breakfast" is basically coffee, some apples, and some corn syrup laced "food" items in cellophane wrappers, but there's a Sprouts grocery nearby if you want actual food. You can pay extra to have your room serviced, but they don't always show up. The night before I left before an early flight, I was told "we don't do wakeup calls." They did graciously offer to let me use the alarm clock in the room which, of course, wasn't functional. Like I said, it's those little details that make a place special.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Victor H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Victor - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that you had maintenance issues in the room. Please accept my apology. I discussed your comments with the team to re-evaluate the inspection expectations so this does not happen in the future. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at arb@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

For the price, the stay didn't meet expectations. It started with the reservation. I made the initial reservation online and that went fine. Then I called one week before our arrival (called on a Sunday) and asked to change the arrival date to one day later. I had a bad feeling, so I called the next day on Monday to make sure it was done and it wasn't. Thank goodness I followed up. Was given a smoking room and not offered / asked if we wanted a non-smoking room. Thankfully, they had a non-smoking room available. The phone never worked the four days we were there after reporting the issue 3 times. The larger buner of the two-burner stove didn't work and that was disappoininting since we'd purchased the groceries in advance and planned on the meal before we knew it was broken. No replacement toilet paper, so had to go to the front desk to get more. One vending machine for drinks and it didn't have bottled water - I thought that was odd. I did like the big bed and the spaciousness of the room. I'm ok with things being broken because it happens. What disappointed me was that they never got fixed and no one seemed to really care. It's the level of service people remember about a hotel - whether it's an extended stay or just a limited amenity hotel - service is everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room. We had a 3rd floor room off the parking lot and it was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TexasRenee
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues and the level of customer service displayed by members of our staff during your stay. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol and maintenance policies to ensure your experience is not repeated.

If you would like to provide any additional comments, please feel free to contact me directly at, arb@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is a nicely remodeled place to stay in a great location and area of Austin. Everything looks nice and new. It has a fully equipped kitchen and a full size frig. I was not disappointed in any way.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
David - The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel including our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens and convenient location at a great value. Again, thank you for the comments. We look forward to providing you with another comfortable stay in the future!
West, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Checked in on Friday and checked out on Sunday...no room service during the stay (was told that would cost extra since we were not staying more than 8 days) Had to bring down my dirty towels if I wanted clean ones, the coffee pot in the room didn't work and I was told I had to bring that down for an exchange "if" I wanted a working one. Won't be staying for any ''extended stay" again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JacQueH
San Salvador, El Salvador
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Was given a Smoking Room, booked a Non Smoking - "Nothing they could do and no other rooms available". I can't describe the stink and the bad experience. Would never go back and do not recommend. Awful service and delivery!

Room Tip: You might book something and get something else and then not have it resolved or moeny back so my ti...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sivarlandia W
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the miscommunication. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are working on fully explaining room accommodations when the reservation is completed. However, when a third party reservation is made they do not generally guarantee a smoking preference, it is based off of availability.

national tour
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Not sure why anyone would want to be associated with this name. This is then second time I have stayed at this chain and this had a similar result.
1) small spider in bed
2) hair balls on shower mat
3) complimentary breakfast = granola bars, pre packaged muffins, oatmeal and not so fresh fruit with complimentary fruit flies.
4) No fitness center or pool or anything like that
5) Less than assertive or knowledgable front desk staff.
6) Best part - location

Room Tip: Don't get a room here. Go to anyone of the three or four other extended stays within the same b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank travelinglizard2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location; however, I am very sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations overall. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that your room was unclean and our staff did not provide you with helpful, friendly service. In response, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures so our standards are more in line with our company's. As well, I am coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service moving forward.

If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at ARB@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Philly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Priceline was offering a Great Price of $38 a night, (no-bidding, plus tax) so I grabbed it. I have no complaints. This hotel is VERY basic. I had never stayed at this chain before, but it seems about the level of a Days Inn (IMO). I had everything I needed and got a good nights sleep, so all that was fine.
I stayed on the top (4th) floor, and while the hallway was a little hotel musty smelling, my room was fine - I was even able to open my window. Everything was completely clean.
Take note, there are NO toiletries - not even a bar of hand soap!. Apparently you can ask at the desk, but I rummaged in my bag & I had enough stuff. Also the "breakfast" was just coffee and one or 2 packaged items. Really just coffee - plus. Not breakfast in my book. And only CoffeeMate for the coffee, not cream or milk, bleah
I only met one staff person, the desk clerk, no problems - but if you love warm and effusive staff - nope. I appreciate that the manager is checking these reviews and it seems like they want to improve. My suggestion, replace the carpet in the elevators, Now. And when all the work is done, hang some pictures on the walls across from the elevators.
There was a TA comment about the location, seems fine to me. Get off the highway, turn one way into a big mall, go the other way and the hotel is right there. Very convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo