Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy.
Ranked #154 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“Fantastic Place to Stay”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My Fiance and I moved to the Austin Area in January of 2012. We've stayed at the Extended StayAmerica Austin/Arboretum since moving down here. We have nothing Bad to say at all. The people are great, the rooms nice and comfortable. Plenty of space and everything works great. Yes the internet (which their is no charge for) is a little slow but that also depends on time of day. Overall This is a Terrific place to stay. If we ever need a place to stay for a couple days after we find our own place you can bet we will stay here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Arboretum - Capital of Texas Hwy., responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Austin - Arboretum. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I needed a place to stay in the Austin Arboretum area on short notice, and ended up at the Extended StayAmerica Austin/Arboretum using a "hidden name" reservation service. As a result my room was a really, really good deal. But I got what I paid for.

My check-in experience was very good - quick, accurate, and friendly. When I got off the elevator, things started to go downhill. This is one of the few hotels I have stayed at in a long time that allows smoking, and the hallway reeked of smoke. Luckily, my room did not smell bad. The room itself was in decent shape, low frills to be sure, but a little tired looking, The "dining table" looked like it had recently been used for an art project, and the upholstery on the chair had seed better days. On the upside, the bed was basic but comfortable, the TV worked, and the bathroom was clean and in working order. Sadly, the full side fridge was not in such great shape, and made so much noise that I turned it off (luckily, I didn't need it). WiFi is free, but a little slow.

The location is good, near 183, MoPac, and 360, close to lots of businesses, shopping, and restaurants. Being so close to highways, however, meant I could hear the traffic all night long.

If I had paid more to stay at the Extended StayAmerica Austin/Arboretum, I'd be pretty unhappy. But for the money I spent, I really can't complain.

Room Tip: Specify non-smoking if that's what you want. Rooms facing the highway will be loud and should b...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Austin - Arboretum. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

I am eager to address your particular concern in this forum. Our hotel is a favorite accommodation for business and leisure travelers who are staying any number of nights. Occasionally, we get an influx of guests who need to leave their departure date open or extend their stay at the last minute. In most cases, our reserve rooms are sufficient to absorb this increased demand. However, in very rare circumstances, like yours, we don't have the room types to accommodate every guest's preference. For that reason, we list your bed/smoking preference on your reservation but are unable to guarantee it. Of course, we will continue to make every effort in our power to honor your room preference.

Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2009

This past weekend, we had reservations at an Austin Extended Stay hotel that were guaranteed with credit card -- and we had confirmation numbers for two rooms for two nights, non-smoking with king beds. Upon our late arrival (around 11 p.m.) the desk clerk (a very young man who said he had only been an employee about two weeks) said he was sorry to tell us that our rooms were not available. The only rooms he had were smoking with double beds. He was rude, didn't seem to care and said they were overbooked. He suggested we contact Expedia. When we told him we did NOT book through Expedia, but booked direct, he just replied, "Oh." We ended up going to another nearby hotel where we spent the weekend. My family will NEVER again use Extended Stay. Also ... a man in line behind us had the same problem. His reserved room was not available. There was no night manager on the property -- only the young kid who kept saying he was not responsible for the problems.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Swede19
Houston, Tx
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I saw all the less than good reviews for this hotel and since I like this hotel (this will be my 3rd time to stay) I thought I'd review it.
If you go to the hotel website, they state that toiletries are not provided but are available on request. They do provide 2 bar soaps and toilet paper. They also have hair dryers available at the front desk.
There is a full kitchen with some dishes, I always eat out so I don't if everything you could ever want to cook a meal is in there, but there are plates, glasses, eating utensils and some pots and pans. They provide 2 dish clothes, one is the smaller size, one the handtowel size. There is a coffee maker with coffee, cream, sugar, artificial sweeteners.
I found the bed to be comfortable, but I did not like the pillows so unless you like big overstuffed pillows (which many do, I just don't) then bring your own.
I felt the room layout was fine. There was plenty of space. The bathroom has a good amount of counter space, there's a little table close to the kitchen, there is a dresser and a desk and a chair with an ottoman/footrest.
The location is great if you want to go shopping or out to eat at the domain, it's one exit up and easy to get to. North by Northwest is also very close (pretty much next door) and there is a shopping center across the street.
This is an adequate hotel if you're looking for cheap and clean and a fridge to put all your leftovers in from all the great food there is in Austin. :)
Internet is available for a one time fee of $4.99 which I don't always get charged for.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Fun_in_Austin
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 26, 2007

The Extended Stay hotel was really just okay. It wasn't terrible, but it was okay. My husband and I stayed there for a weekend -- we got a deal on the room through an Austin weekend package...I think that if I paid full price for a room there that I would be really disappointed and rate this really terrible. The rooms were a little smelly, but the front desk people really accomodated us by letting us change rooms twice. So...only stay here if you can get a good deal.
df

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sullivans0602
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Ok, it was clean and quiet, I'll give it that. BUT - having to go out to buy shampoo and conditioner at 9 pm, what hotel doesn't give shampoo? The fitness center is a drive to the local 24 hr fitness - which isn't open 24 hours. This is BARE BONES - my advice, go next door to the Marriott.

• Liked — It was quiet.
  • Disliked — No basics - like shampoo - helloooooo?????
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank torav
Kingsville Texas
Reviewed February 12, 2007

The Marriott within two blocks had the same price as this one. Differences were: had daily room service, friendly staff, indoor exercise room, free daily newspaper and free hot breakfast buffet with wffles, sausage and egg, coffee, og, fruit, cereal, oatmeal just a variety of breakfast items. For the same price i would stay anywhere else but Marriott.

They "lost" my reservation upon arrival and they had booked me to a smoking room. When I refused, they offered to cancel my room. I insisted that I get a non-smoking room all while the receptionist offering dirty looks. complete waste of time considering there were no other motels available within the training center.

NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)