“A Decent Choice”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin South
Ranked #96 of 204 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I had the room listed as King/Sofabed on the website, and it was more like a junior suite, with a living room area partially divided from the sleeping area. Clean, well-kept, and quiet, this Fairfield is a good value. The only problem I had was a weak wifi signal -- wifi's free, but I would have paid more for a better signal. This place is a twenty dollar, fifteen minute cab ride from downtown.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed June 9, 2008

The staff was friendly and efficient at all hours. When I arrived I needed to obtain a joke gift. The front desk clerk had a phone number for me to call. Thursday night I needed to secure chair rentals and an other clerk help me locate a convenient rental company. Housekeeping were like ghosts. The professionalism of the staff was superior.

Pickings were slim during the Democratic Convention, but I was in Austin for a wedding. The hotel was packed, but the room was cool and quiet. The air conditioning was quiet also. A family was staying in the suite next to me and I didn't hear a thing. The hotel is older and starting to get the musty smell. If you have allergies or require a renovation within 2 years, this is not the hotel for you.

The hotel is convenient to I 35, Wal-mart, Sams, the airport, and a business park. There is a walking path through the business park. I felt safe and comfortable.

I made it to First Thursday in SoCo. www.firstthursday.info
Music and people watching were great. It's only a five minute drive to South Congress & Mary St.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I tried to make reservations via Priceline, but the system was not user friendly, and I had to call the property directly. Katie took my reservation and was extremely pleasant and helpful! We found the location to be convenient to downtown. On a previous trip to Austin, we stayed at another motel wherein the air conditioner only worked on high. It was very unpleasant! The Fairfield Inn, however, was clean, comfortable, and served our purpose very well. We will definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I am feeling my way along in selecting moderate accommodations for business travel in mostly the south-southwest. I have been through Hampton, Hawthorne, Holiday Inn Express and most recently tried Fairfield. I found it a cut above the rest. They seem to take the Marriott lessons learned and policies and apply them to their more budget properties and it works. The Austin South/Airport Fairfield is not at the airport. It is on the access road of I35, and from there you go a few blocks, get on highway 70 and drive a few miles to the airport. In pre-rush hour it took me a half hour and I got lost once. At rush hour the location is rough if you are driving from the north to the hotel from downtown Austin. It is located in a Marriott "campus" with several other Marriott brands like Courtyard etc. You apparently can use some facilities in the other Marriotts (like a 24 hour store and work out room) though I did not follow through on those after asking them about it. This Fairfield has a small excerise room with a treadmill according to the desk, but I did not get the chance to use it. The Marriott training program is the big difference in my mind between Fairfield and the other economy chains. Instead of a tired, bored front desk person hired through a want ad, such as you find at Hawthorne, you have a vibrant, excited and informative clerk who acts as though he is the concierge at the Waldorf and obviously has been trained in the Marriott ways. The guys were full of suggestions and directions when I inquired about the Austin music scene. The room was thoughtfully designed and maintained. Fairfield has ditched the nasty bedspreads which never get washed and are pulled up over your pillow. They wrap your blankets in clean, soft and seemingly new sheets. There are little touches like outlets installed in table lamps so you don't have to pull out heavy furniture and crawl under tables to try to plug in the iron. My room also had a refrigerator in it. The breakfasts weren't quite as hearty or hot as the competitors...no hot egg dishes. But the rest of it was plenty for me and of course it was free with a friendly hostess. I am pretty much a Fairfield guy from here on until something goes wrong. They do sell out sometimes quickly, so I plan to try to make early reservations for work trips.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank jimjade3
Reviewed March 28, 2007

This has been my second stay. I stayed there last year and wrote a review in March 06. This stay was even better. The desk staff was friendly and helpful. I asked very nicely for a different room after seeing my room was next to the elevator. As I didn't have to get up early, I didn't want to be disturbed by others. The staff found me a room right away without complaining. I slept very comfortably which is hard for me - hotel beds usually are hard, but this one was very good. The rooms are fine and I would stay there again. The TV seemed to be about 32 inches - very nice. The shower spray and pressure was great.
The free breakfast offers good choices. They even have a mini refrigerator on the counter that holds small milk boxes for your cereal. I skipped the waffles this time (a big plus usually for me) and chose fruit and cereal instead.
I used their free airport shuttle the night before and the next morning so I could pick up a rental car. When I made the reservation, I couldn't find shuttle info so I had to call the hotel directly to get the van operating times (as my flight arrival time was 10 p.m.) They pick up as late as 11 p.m. so I was fine. However, they don't have a phone number listed or advertisement at the airport so I had to call for a pickup with my cell phone - so keep their number handy! The shuttle van drivers both times were very friendly and offered me advice after asking a few questions. They let me know what was a good time to take the shuttle the next morning as it only is offered every 45 minutes and I wanted to miss commute traffic. He also took me to the airport rental area so I kept my walking to a minimum.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank YOSEgal
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2005

As evacuees from Houston during the Rita Hurricane, we were fortunately blessed with being given a room by the hotel since most hotels in the area were already booked. After being on the road for 10 hrs from Houston, we were exhausted and hot. There were 8 people in our group, and since we could not get the room for more than 2 nights or even another room since they were so full, they happily agreed to let all 8 of us stay in a double bed room. The room was surprisingly not too small, a little uncomfortable, since we did have 8 people, but overall very accomodating. The room was clean, the breakfast bar was good. I loved the waffle maker. High speed int was included and the staff was EXTREMELY helpful and attuned to our needs. I would definatley stay there again if I ever make a trip to the area, but hopefully not to avoid another hurricane!

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2004

The facility is well kept. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. The breakfast bar offers a wide variety of items including fresh fruits. The indoor pool and spa and the exercise room were wonderful, especially on a rainy day. The location is very convenient.
The airport and all of the major attractions were close by. And the place was so quiet even though it was situated on a busy highway.

5  Thank tlt57