“Roach Motel for the price of a Hyatt” 1 of 5 stars

Hawthorn Suites - Austin South
4020 South I-35, Austin, TX 78704   |
Ranked #154 of 193 Hotels in Austin
A TripAdvisor Member
“Roach Motel for the price of a Hyatt”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2004

Based on other reviews I had seen, this place looked like a great deal for the price - at least on paper. But when I arrived and saw the room in person, I felt the sting of false advertising. The hotel is not new - rather it is an old, revamped cheap motel taken over by Hyatt and still has the musty old carpet that reeks of mildew. The walls in my suite were stained, the air conditioner was broken, the toilet didn't flush (worst of all, I found a condom left by a previous guest floating in the toilet bowl - after several attempts at flushing, it would not go down. Ech!) The sofa and all the furniture was stained and smelly, and the kitchen was so dirty, I wouldn't dare dream of cooking anything in there! Saw several cockroaches crawling around the kitchen, bath and bedroom, and at that point, fled as fast as we could to another hotel!

We rented one of the large loft bedroom suites, expecting it to be as nice as described, and the Hyatt hotel name promised quality. We were sorely disappointed. For $39/night, this would be an OK deal for those who don't mind sharing their quarters with roaches. But for $99 per night ($115 or so after tax), we could have stayed at a *real* quality hotel like Omni Southpark, which is where we went next - right across the highway.

I expected a whole lot more from Hyatt Hotels. This place is horrible - stay away!

• Stayed October 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

ojai california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

Reservations for 2 queens, non smoking at the Hawthorne Suites 4020 IH S35 in Austin Texas. Arrived at check-in time at 3:00PM and was told that they did not have the kind of room I ordered. All that was available was a double bed with a pull out sofa. When I asked what the point of making and confirming reservations I was told "sorry, all we do is guarantee a room, not what you ordered". The lobby looked dirty and smelled like mildew so I was glad to leave. Would never return there. Did stay at the SpringHill Suites close by which was very pleasant, courteous staff and clean rooms.

7 Thank ojaitrio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2002

Awesome accommodations for $69 a night for a suite with a free hot breakfast, in a brand new hotel. My family loved everything!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2001

I was impressed with the value!!! For $59.00 you get a huge suite with kitchen, fireplace, and great bathroom-also you get a different breakfast every day--burritos,bacon and fruit etc. Also enjoyed the light dinners and wine by the fire weeknights. The spa is hot and they have area transportation!! We also got logs for the fire and they fixed out faucet promply! The only bad thing was that it is a bit noisy outside as I- 35 and Ben White are at this corner. I didn't notice the noise inside too much. This is the best value on the south side and I have seen most of the accomidations!! Go for it

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member