“One of LQ's Better hotels!”

La Quinta Inn Austin North
Ranked #77 of 200 Hotels in Austin
A TripAdvisor Member
“One of LQ's Better hotels!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

New and Clean! My wife always does a smell test before we take a room. This room smelled clean without smelling like deodorizer. No worries here. Good breakfast. The staff was helpful and friendly. The rate was the best for the room in the area. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Abilene, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

When there was no hot water I was relocated to another room for my shower. The phone did not have a dial tone, I called the front desk with my cell phone. I was happy however with the other amenities as evening snacks, water available in the lobby, location of hotel, appearance of room, decor.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

1 Thank Debbie H
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed at La Quinta in December 2013 and the experience was excellent. The staff was always very nice, helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great, good food and good variety. There was always fresh coffee and water in the lobby. The rooms were VERY clean and comfortable. It was worth every penny!! I would recommend this hotel to family and friends. Our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BellaC1987
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

One night was enough, then needed to move on to another place. I only booked here because it was close to where I was meeting. Came early to get some pool time. The front desk said, its not open because of construction, but the sign at the pool said "Only open seasonally".
The wifi was slow from my room (center of the building), which means I was able to get little work done. Breakfast was adequate, but I've stayed at better La Qunta's. I had an exposed wire hanging out of my wall under the desk. I took a photo, but am having a difficult time downloading it here for you all to see.
If you're just passing through and need a place for a quick overnight, this place is fine. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. If you hope to do business from your room or get some pool time to relax, forget it. Find a better place.
It can be difficult to get in and out of the hotel lot. I cut through a neighboring business lot just for convenience, but could only because they left their gate open. A variety of restaurants are in the area, but need a car to get to any of them.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Excellent stay. Very comfortable great breakfast. Room had dark enough curtains to keep sin out for late sleep in after a late night out. Breakfast had a good variety. My husband loved the fresh coffee stand.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

We booked for two nights mid-week which, in retrospect, may have been a mistake. Being new to the city, I didn't realize exactly how far this was from the city center. Also, being new to the peculiar naming conventions of streets paralleling interstates, it made using the GPS a must to find the hotel, even though it is "just off the interstate". Plus to confuse things even further, there's another LQ just down the interstate (which we ended up at after a day of exploring only to realize it was the LQ alright, just not the RIGHT LQ.)

We had a nice room, but it was small. The hotel was pretty booked up so we ended up with a room with two queen beds instead of one king bed. Which means we ended up sitting on the queen beds to watch TV or work on the computers so we could both use the light from the shared nightstand. When I finally crawled into bed with my husband, he ended up with the night stand and I don't have one at all. Not enough room to put small nightstands on the other side of the queen beds! Ugh.

Plus the mattress was odd. It had a very deep pillow-top which made it feel much squishier than it actually was. My husband woke up with a crick in his neck, which he attributed to it not being as firm as we generally prefer. Most places we've stayed have had pillow-top mattresses, but not quite like this.

Yes, it looks like the hotel has been renovated; one new thing is a proximity indicator lock on the doors which meant I struggled at the door with my dog and bags not realizing that, in fact, my card key was not properly magnetized. Luckily, my husband's worked and we exchanged them to get new ones. It's just something new but again, annoying if it doesn't work properly.

The other negative we experienced both nights was a big slow down to the WiFi; maybe from a large number of users? We didn't know, but it was completely annoying to try and do searches on the internet just for decent restaurants in the area (no, the Applebee's doesn't count, and Buffalo Wild Wings - puh-leeze.)

On a more positive note, because it's a larger hotel that mostly caters to a young, career crowd of folks working in the tech industry, this hotel has a nice happy hour for guests during the work week; we had a soft taco with chicken, good pico de gallo, cheese and salsa and my husband got a beer (not free). We decided to skip the breakfast, only to find out that this location does rotate some of the breakfast choices.

On the morning we were checking out we tried to get some ice for a drink, only to find the ice maker on the floor was not just not working, but appeared to be completely unplugged. My husband also checked the floor below, only to find it was not working, either. When I mentioned this to the manager when checking out, he said that the ice maker WAS working on the fourth floor. We had wondered, obviously incorrectly, that perhaps with the drought conditions, it was deliberately turned off. But hey, you shouldn't have to hunt from floor to floor just to get a small amount of ice, either.

Basically, we had an okay experience, but it wasn't as nice as the night before or the night after, either. If we are back in Austin, I would select a location closer to the city or in the SoCo area of town. I think this hotel is better for folks working the area and this is the primary group they are aiming for. Not so great for us tourista types.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family