“Easy choice”

Ranked #52 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Valdosta, Georgia
“Easy choice”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

So this Doubletree is a bit further from downtown, but closer to the convention center. These are both good things. If you want to go down to sixth street, it is an easy less than 2 mile walk with sidewalks the whole way. The hotel itself is perfectly acceptable, decent fitness room and pool, with a decent breakfast. The rooms were adequate, although the showers were a bit on the weak side. Staff was helpful and overall the hotel was clean and neat. After seeing the rooms some co-workers had at other hotels nearby, this place was a bargain.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the side away from the highway for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Wim1617, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Wanderingkale,

As a very well traveled guest we really appreciate your great comments about our property. We are proud to offer our guests good service, a nice spacious clean room within proximity to the downtown hot spots and convention center at a great value.

We hope to see you again soon in the future!

PS Bring the co-workers :)

Wim Puttemans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Newark
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Doubletree for a week while on spring break. The hotel is very nice and clean. The pool is outside so we couldn't partake in a swim because it was still a bit chilly for April. Unlike a few other Hilton hotels, this hotel does not offer complimentary breakfast or happy hour. I knew that when I booked the reservation, so it is my bad, but for my next visit to Austin, I will probably stay at a hotel that offers a complimentary breakfast to try and save myself a few bucks. The hotel is located close to I35, with the U of T baseball stadium within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mrs Tina M,

I am very happy to read that you had a great time while on spring break! Yes we are proud to offer nice and clean rooms and next time we can for sure help you to include breakfast in your rate.

Sincerely

Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on a road trip across the country. We have stayed in everything from low-end 2-star motels to high-end 4 star downtown hotels on the trip. We booked online and saw this advertised as a close-to-downtown/downtown area hotel. Not having been to Austin before, we accepted that claim at face value. The price was comparable to other prime downtown location hotels, so we thought we were getting a comparable standard of place - we were wrong. This hotel is not downtown, it is about an hours walk from downtown and you need to go under a sketchy bridge under the interstate frequented by homeless etc. When we checked in the toilet was overflowing in our room, so we asked to switch, which they reluctantly did. We said we were unhappy with the service and they didn't care to make things right. The maids also 'cleaned up' in our bathroom and took away all my wife's expensive hairsprays etc apparently thinking it was garbage. I would not stay here again. Only good thing is the towels were nice. Go elsewhere, there's better value for your money in Austin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wim1617, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
We’re very sorry we didn’t provide you with the high quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the malfunctioning toilet but I am happy to see the desk was able to change your room while engineering addressed the issue. We are sorry that our location in downtown was not near the location you hoped you be, and that our staff didn't note the Martin Luther King Blvd pedestrain bridge for easy access to the opposite side of the highway. We’ll be sure to address the issues with the room amenities and the staff in hopes of always bettering our practices. Thank you for the review and have a wonderful day!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2013

On our recent trip to Austin Texas we stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton - University Area. Our stay at this hotel was the easiest part of our trip. We had gone to watch the Orange and White game at the University of Texas. Our hotel was so convenient as it was right across the street from the stadium. The service we received at the hotel was excellent as well. Our room was very clean and really made us feel at home. We did spend some time at the bar where we also enjoyed great conversation with the bartender even if he was an Aggie. Just kidding. It was a really relaxing and enjoyable stay. We will go back and stay there again. Thanks Hilton great customer service by all.

Room Tip: Book in advance, busy hotel. Nice size rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The staff (especially housekeeping and maintenance) are very friendly and go out of their way to assist and help you. I didn't need any maintenance but when I ran into them in the hallway or elevator they made it a point to speak to me in a friendly manner. The only disappointment I had was the pool is a lot smaller than it looks in the photo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel and staff were very nice. The hotel experienced a water line break while I was there, causing a significant amount of lost time and inconvenience. The location is okay if you're doing something at UT, but not great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your feedback about the water issue during your stay. We’re sorry that it wasn't resolved quicker, and that you lost time while waiting for it to work properly. We have addressed all issues related to the water problem. Thank you again for your review and we hope you’ll give us another chance the next time you return to the area

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'll admit it: I haven't actually stayed at this hotel. However, my girlfriend has--she had to go to Austin for her work during our 6-month anniversary and I couldn't go with her. I wanted to surprise her by sending flowers to her room. I looked at florists in the area, but as a broke college student, there was no way I could spend $50 for a bouquet. After giving up hope, I called the hotel to see if I could get her a card.
The lady who picked up was incredibly helpful! She even volunteered to pick up some more affordable flowers from a local grocery store on her way to work and helped me get a card. So thank you Shay and DoubleTree staff for turning a hopeless situation into a romantic experience for my girlfriend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo