“Great location near UT and 6th St.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area
Ranked #52 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“Great location near UT and 6th St.”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My sister and friend from college flew in to visit Austin right before New Year's Eve and we stayed here! The DT was perfectly located for everything we wanted and needed. We ventured to 6th street, the Capitol, UT campus, Congress St., 6th St. and Rainey St.; all of which are within a 10 minute drive of the hotel. Cookies were warm, service and check in was prompt, and they provided options about which view we wanted. We chose the side facing the high way and UT campus which is beautiful at night! Rooms were cozy and quiet which made our stay more comfortable.

Thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank myearout

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Hotels in Austin were very tight. I ended up at the Double Tree near the University. Checking in late (with a reservation) I was given a handicapped King room. It had a funky entry but was otherwise a nice enough room. About 10:30pm I went into the bathroom to take a shower. The shower was broken - the faucet handle was frozen in place and the round rim was loose. I called the front desk and he said he would alert maintenance. By 11:30 I realized I was not going to have a shower that night. I checked out at 7:45am (still showerless) and complained about the shower. The deskclerk offered me a free breakfast - not the compensation that would help me feel better. I have no idea how housekeeping would not have noticed this if they had actually cleaned the tub and shower. I moved to the Driskill, which is a beautiful old hotel in downtown Austin, and was only $10 more per night with a working shower.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathroom first
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Suzannea2010
socialmediacoord, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
On behalf of the staff, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience and issue you experienced during your stay with us. Your experience does not reflect the high quality of service we strive to provide our guests in exceeding expectations. The issue you experienced has been resolved and hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Austin.

Shay Bourgeois, Front Office Manager 512-479-4000
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here while attending an event at the UT Natatorium. Great location, could walk to the pool from the hotel so we didn't have to pay for university parking. Staff was friendly and attentive. Room and bathroom were immaculately clean. Room was really quite, but faced the cemetary in the back (which was a creepy suprise upon arrival). Have stayed in Austin quite a bit for events at UT and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room faced the back of the property and it was very quite. No noise from I35
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan W
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

The location was good. Easy on/off the highway. Check in and out went great. The fresh cookies were a nice touch.

I loved the colors in the room. I get bored with the basic plain colors. The dark reds and dark tile were a nice change. The beds and pillows were great too. Loved that you could open the window!

I had no issues and would return if I am ever in Austin again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Eric S
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I visited Austin with a friend. We were looking for an affordable place to stay after two lackluster hotel experiences in San Antonio. This hotel easily delivered.

Check-in was very pleasant, and I was pleasantly surprised with the cookies (I was new to DoubleTree). The room featured plush beds and new, upscale decor. The bathroom was a good size as well. The free parking was also another huge advantage over other Downtown Austin hotels.

The only disappointment was the distance to 6th Street. We were hoping that the hotel would be walking distance, but it soon became apparent that we would need to drive over there -- mileage-wise it wasn't too far, but the path there did not seem walkable. The other negative, which couldn't have fazed me less but seriously bothered my travel-mate, was that the hotel is next to a cemetery, and our window gave a prominent view of it. If that kind of thing creeps you out, go elsewhere (or request the highway view).

Room Tip: Ask for a view of I-35 if looking at a graveyard rubs you the wrong way.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank encarta95
Washington DC
Reviewed January 13, 2013

At $200+ you can find much better in Austin. The location is terrible. Austin is a great city with a lot of great amenities and restaurants. This hotel is near NONE of them. There is a Denny's. That is it. I called three pizza places before I found one even willing to deliver there. It is located just east on I-35 which I have learned now according to my business contact "Um, you don't want to stay east of 35." The room itself was nice. Good selection on TV, though no guide to see what's on. The worst part was I had no hot water in the shower. It wasn't just me, I asked my business colleague traveling with me and he had no hot water either. He showered the night we got there, on a different floor than me, and I showered in the morning. So it wasn't a "everyone is showering now" problem. It was an overall problem. I used the fitness center, and it was adequate. It is small, just one elliptical, two treadmills, a bike, a some free weight dumbells with a bench. You could not pay me to stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and your stay at the Doubletree Austin University. We apologize that your stay did not reflect the high quality of service that we are known for by many of our guests. The issue you stated in you review has been resolved, and I hope you and your colleagues will give us another opportunity to earn back your patronage. While many guests love the close proximity to the university, I am sorry to hear the location did not meet your needs. Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss your stay further.

Shay Bourgeois, Front Office Manager 512-479-4000
Burnt Hills, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here on business travel in Jan 2013... I was in room 202 and was stunned by the amount of I35 traffic noise (and rain noise) in the room... window wasn't sealed/closed very well... room was pretty worn..but ok... The real issue was the next morning when I turned on the shower... no hot water...as I turned the temperature control to hot, I just got decreased flow and after 20 or so min, the max temperature was that of a good pint... surprisingly, 7 feet away, in the sink, the water was hot enough that I needed to cut it with cold to wash my hair and take (effectively) a sponge bath. When I went down to breakfast (which was pretty good!) I told the staff that I wanted to be moved to another room and that they needed to effect repairs. They were courteous and comp'd me breakfast, but offered some lame observation about the boiler - not valid - my sink ran to scalding...when I returned after the day's business, they'd arranged a different room, but hadn't moved my possessions as had been the plan.. I moved my items from 202 to 315 and was surprised to find a fair amount of outside noise in this room as well... that turned out to be because the window was open. As a matter of fact, it was possible to open the window fully (When's the last time you saw that in a US hotel?)... most impressive of all was that when I checked out I returned 2 sets of keys and quipped that I was checking out of 315 and (ha, I guess) 202 as well. And the young lady said, "Ms X?" (presumably the name of the poor unsuspecting person next in line for room 202)... God willing Ms. X wasn't in the room or at least had a different key programmed since I had 2 room 202 keys I was returning... I hope the shower was warmer for her... this hotel is well located, but my experience fell short of what I've come to expect with a DoubleTree.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Wim1617, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.

Wim Puttemans