“Convenient location, comfortable stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area
Ranked #56 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed one night while visiting family in Austin. It was a nice clean hotel, convenient to the freeway. We used the pool in the afternoon. It was decent - no hot tub. We drove to 6th St Saturday night and it was just a few minutes away. Our room was on the 5th floor and on the I35 side of the hotel, and we didn't hear freeway traffic. We also had the breakfast buffet the next morning. We were a little late getting down there and they were starting to pick things up. But one of the waitresses told my husband they would make him some more pancakes and she came back to the table with a few pancakes for him. And she offered my friend some more fresh fruit from the kitchen. She was very sweet.
Overall it was a nice hotel, clean, the staff was friendly and helpful and the location was convenient. We would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful in accommodating my needs. Enjoyed the fitness room and outdoor pool, both very clean. The breakfast buffet was excellent with plenty of selections. Room service was prompt, and the food quite good. Rooms were comfortable and clean. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: This hotel has a lot of trees. If you want a view, ask for a room on the fourth floor or higher.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I would definitely come back here.

i LOVE THE WARM COOKIES!!!

Our check in was easy and our room was very clean and spacious.

it is not far from downtown as long as you have a ride/car

I would like to see more of a nicer bar in the lobby area.. but that's my only complaint.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonRTPGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the kind comments and feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is much appreciated. We look forward to your return to our hotel while in Austin in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Everything about this hotel (with the exception of the cookies) was just "meh." We chose the hotel because my coworker and I were here on business and are both Hilton Honors club members. The service was good and the rooms were clean, but there was nothing fantastic about this property. The view from my room (of which I'm including a photo) was of a cemetery...not awesome. If I had stay somewhere else in the hotel I would've gotten to choose between a view of I-35 or the Denny's parking lot. At least the cemetery was quiet. (No zombie attacks are part of the reason I rated this hotel so high.) Additionally, there were things about the room that seemed just off: a very musty smell, flat sheets being used as fitted, lighting in the bathroom so dim it makes candlelit dinners seem as bright as the second coming, etc. As far as the "pros": despite the view the location is decent for school visits and game days because it's both near the highway and not too far from the university (still would need to drive/cab unless you just love a good long walk), there is a Denny's next door if you like Denny's, the toiletries are high end (Crabtree and Evelyn...fancy) and then of course, there are the cookies, which constantly taunt you, beckoning you to walk down stairs (leave your pride in your room) and ask for just one more.

Overall, I would say at the rate we got the room we actually got a deal, but I would not pay much more to stay here, especially if I was just coming down to party on 6th street (too far to walk, and you shouldn't drink and drive!).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University. I sincerely appreciate the positive comments regarding our amenities as well as the service you received. We pride ourselves in providing the best possible service and exceeding our guests expectations. While I cannot change the view of the cemetary, the positives are the quietness of these rooms as well the cemetary is a historic state cemetary and many of our guests like to walk around and look at the historical figures buried in the cemetary. While our location is not in the heart of downtown, we are very convenient to the University of Texas as well we provide complimentary parking at our location. Thank you again for your business as we look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Rooms were quiet and very clean. The staff was very friendly and the cookie I got when I checked in was very good. The lighting in the bathrooms could have been a little brighter for putting on make-up. But overall, a great and clean hotel. Great location to get downtown. We love to stay here when we come for baseball games at Disch-Faulk field.

Room Tip: Hotel is centrally located - close to just about anything. I found my room to be exceptionally quie...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I sincerely appreciate the kind comments regarding your stay and was happy to see that you enjoyed your time while at the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University. We look forward to your return to our hotel the next time you visit Austin.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on an anniversary trip to Austin. The price, location, and Hilton amenities made it our choice for the vacation. All in all, it was a great choice! We paid a little extra to get a downtown view on a higher floor which was very nice. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean. The bed was also great! This would be an ideal location if you were planning a visit to UT as it is just across the I-35 overpass. Close proximity to the capitol and downtown. It is also in walking distance to some great restaurants (East Side Cafe, Vivo, El Chile, Players and Hoovers). Would recommend this to singles, couples, and families.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonRTPGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the positive response and good feedback as your feedback will be used to provide positive reinforcement with our associates. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to your return to the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Friendly staff, nice/clean room, bar in the lobby and breakfast in the morning. $8 cab ride to downtown. Can't ask for much more! Just do yourself a favor and don't read the nutritional facts on the cookie. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I sincerely appreciate your kind comments and will certainly pass them along to the team members. Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University and we look forward to your return when in the Austin area.