“Don't stay here for the views...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area
Ranked #50 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Kansas City, Missouri
“Don't stay here for the views...”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Everything about this hotel (with the exception of the cookies) was just "meh." We chose the hotel because my coworker and I were here on business and are both Hilton Honors club members. The service was good and the rooms were clean, but there was nothing fantastic about this property. The view from my room (of which I'm including a photo) was of a cemetery...not awesome. If I had stay somewhere else in the hotel I would've gotten to choose between a view of I-35 or the Denny's parking lot. At least the cemetery was quiet. (No zombie attacks are part of the reason I rated this hotel so high.) Additionally, there were things about the room that seemed just off: a very musty smell, flat sheets being used as fitted, lighting in the bathroom so dim it makes candlelit dinners seem as bright as the second coming, etc. As far as the "pros": despite the view the location is decent for school visits and game days because it's both near the highway and not too far from the university (still would need to drive/cab unless you just love a good long walk), there is a Denny's next door if you like Denny's, the toiletries are high end (Crabtree and Evelyn...fancy) and then of course, there are the cookies, which constantly taunt you, beckoning you to walk down stairs (leave your pride in your room) and ask for just one more.

Overall, I would say at the rate we got the room we actually got a deal, but I would not pay much more to stay here, especially if I was just coming down to party on 6th street (too far to walk, and you shouldn't drink and drive!).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HiltonRTPGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University. I sincerely appreciate the positive comments regarding our amenities as well as the service you received. We pride ourselves in providing the best possible service and exceeding our guests expectations. While I cannot change the view of the cemetary, the positives are the quietness of these rooms as well the cemetary is a historic state cemetary and many of our guests like to walk around and look at the historical figures buried in the cemetary. While our location is not in the heart of downtown, we are very convenient to the University of Texas as well we provide complimentary parking at our location. Thank you again for your business as we look forward to your return.

Bryan Heintz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
El Campo, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Rooms were quiet and very clean. The staff was very friendly and the cookie I got when I checked in was very good. The lighting in the bathrooms could have been a little brighter for putting on make-up. But overall, a great and clean hotel. Great location to get downtown. We love to stay here when we come for baseball games at Disch-Faulk field.

Room Tip: Hotel is centrally located - close to just about anything. I found my room to be exceptionally quie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I sincerely appreciate the kind comments regarding your stay and was happy to see that you enjoyed your time while at the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University. We look forward to your return to our hotel the next time you visit Austin.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on an anniversary trip to Austin. The price, location, and Hilton amenities made it our choice for the vacation. All in all, it was a great choice! We paid a little extra to get a downtown view on a higher floor which was very nice. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean. The bed was also great! This would be an ideal location if you were planning a visit to UT as it is just across the I-35 overpass. Close proximity to the capitol and downtown. It is also in walking distance to some great restaurants (East Side Cafe, Vivo, El Chile, Players and Hoovers). Would recommend this to singles, couples, and families.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonRTPGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the positive response and good feedback as your feedback will be used to provide positive reinforcement with our associates. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to your return to the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Friendly staff, nice/clean room, bar in the lobby and breakfast in the morning. $8 cab ride to downtown. Can't ask for much more! Just do yourself a favor and don't read the nutritional facts on the cookie. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I sincerely appreciate your kind comments and will certainly pass them along to the team members. Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree By Hilton Austin University and we look forward to your return when in the Austin area.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I filed a claim to dispute unauthorized charges by this hotel to my credit card. When I spoke with the accounting department, the unprofessionalism and rudeness was unfathomable. My husband and I will not be a future patron of the Doubletree Austin University hotel. I contacted the hotel directly on 4 different occasions, only to be transferred over and over, with no resolution. If I were the one to owe them money, I'm sure they would have pursued me with tenacity and diligence.
I hope the general manager Bryan Heintz sees and replies to this review. If this is the type of organization that takes advantage of its guests, then refuses to own up to its mistakes; I intend to tell everyone who will listen NOT to patronize this hotel.
Danielle Townsend

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonRTPGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Austin - University Area, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with our hotel. I was happy to speak with you personally and help to resolve this challenge a few days prior to this review. I once again apologize for the challenges you encountered with our accounting department. I can assure you that I have spoken to our Accounting Manager, with whom you spoke, and apologize for the miscommunication in which the perception you received was rude. While I have never experienced our Accounting Manager ever being rude with anyone, this is obviously the perception you received and your feedback will help us understand how to improve the way in which we come across to our guests. While this should not have occurred in the first place, I appreciated the opportunity to personally assist and review and confirm the resolution. I would welcome the opportunity to regain your loyalty with our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and we sincerely appreciate your business.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for my college orientation. I thought staying at a hotel would be nicer than staying in a dorm room. I was completely wrong. I woke up after the first night of my three night stay with my upper left arm covered in red bumps. I wasn't sure at first what it was so I continued sleeping in the bed for the three night stay. After we left the hotel, the next day I found tons and tons of bites on any part of my skin that was uncovered while I slept. I had big red bites that itched like crazy and got huge welts on them all over both of my arms, all over my face, my legs and a few on my lower stomach and back. We have emailed the hotel with no response. This is completely completely unacceptable. I couldn't go in the sun for a week because of the pain. Do not stay at this hotel. They obviously do not value cleanliness and customer service. Stay somewhere else. I've previously stayed at the Embassy Suites in Austin and had a great stay. Go there.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Catherinehen
We apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is extremely important to us and we focus a great deal of our time and attention on them. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and correct any pest situation that might occur. We have shared your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been successfully addressed.

tucson
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I reviewed this hotel 2 years ago after a mix of good and bad experiences. At that time, I decided that I wouldn't be back, but here I am, with another mixed bag to report. A fellow worker made reservations through hotels.com for us; otherwise, I would have spent the night somewhere else.

Weird situation 1: Upon entry to my room, the thermostat was set to 66 F, which is on the cool side for me. Yes, it had been about 93 F outside, but a storm had just moved in and the outside temperature was now about 71 F. I was cold. I turned on the heater, which made a mildly unpleasant burning aroma that the smoke detector didn't like either and it quickly made loud and annoying noises. Fortunately, there was a chair near the detector that I could stand on to reach the reset button. Good news - the smoke detector was functioning properly. And, being a little cold wasn't so bad, really.

I settled in to get ready for a meeting the next day. The lighting in the room, though, was poor, even using all the lamps. In fact, the bright yellow highlighter that I used to mark my notes was invisible in the low light conditions. How about some higher powered compact fluorescent bulbs? At least the internet worked well; in fact, it was excellent.

Weird situation 2: The next morning, I used the fitness center for a short workout. I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to see a room full of high quality new equipment in excellent condition, including cardio machines with personal TVs. The hotel provides packaged headphones for use with the TVs - a nice touch. The fitness center, although modest in size, was more typical of higher tier hotels.

After my workout, I grabbed a free coffee in the lobby. It was quite good, too! Again, it was better than usual for this level of hotel. Unfortunately, if you wanted decaf or tea, that wasn't available.

After a shower (see below), I went across the parking lot to Dennys for breakfast. Being close to Dennys is a real plus for this hotel.

Weird situation 3: The shower was the deal-breaker for me, though. I hadn't noticed it the night before, but there had been some work done on the shower's wall tiles. Major pieces of 2 tiles were missing and the holes left behind were partially filled with some kind plaster or sealant. I assumed it was water tight and okay to use, so I stepped in, only to find that there was a pool of gritty water in the bottom of the tub. It was invisibile in the poorly lit bathroom and caught me by surprise. I tried to rinse and drain the tub, but was only partially successful.

Back on the plus side again, the check-in was efficient and the cookie was very good, as usual at the Doubletrees. And, checkout was equally fine, and the woman at the desk took notes on my concerns about the room. She indicated that they are working to bring the hotel up to a higher level, noting that the internet access and the fitness center were recently improved. But, I think the priority really should be going to the guest rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your feedback as it will help us improve moving forward. We are continuously improving in all areas from improved internet and fitness center as well as continually working on the rooms to ensure our guests stay is enjoyable and problem free. We pride ourselves in the service we are able to provide and appreciate the comments regarding the service received. Thank you for choosing our hotel, we appreciate your business.