“Not what I expected from a Doubletree Hotel...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area
Ranked #52 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Vacaville, California
“Not what I expected from a Doubletree Hotel...”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed at the Doubletree Hotel in Austin for 2 nights and were pretty disappointed in our stay. The location wasn't too bad- you definatley needed a car to get to downtown where we mostly went but the distance wasn't bad, maybe 5 minutes or so away. But the hotel itself left a lot to be desired. Parking was complimentary, as was the yummy cookie we received at checkin but the advertised free wifi "throughout the hotel" worked awful. I wasn't able to log in once, but my husband was successful once in the parking lot. The bed was comfortable but the room itself could use much updating. The AC unit was partly off the wall, lots of scratches and missing paint off the walls, and the shower was pretty small. The staff seemed pretty friendly for the most part but I doubt if we end up back in the Austin area we would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The Doubletree is a very nice, clean hotel, with friendly staff. We enjoyed our stay and were welcomed with a warm chocolate chip cookie upon arrival. Very delicious! We had difficulty finding the hotel, even with our GPS and had to ask for directions. We noticed that they provide a laundry area although it is not mentioned in their hotel policies. They also provide a laundry service. The room has no refrigerator or microwave oven. Also, a free breakfast is not provided. They do have their own restaurant and Denny's is next door. Overall, the quality was good---wish they had a refrigerator and free continental breakfast; that would have made it perfect!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Pros: Newly updated interiors, good service and location.

Cons: Crazy loud AC unit. Seriously. Good thing I sleep like a rock. That could have just been my room, but I have no doubts if I wanted to change rooms the staff would be happy to do so.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jayci
Dallas
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The hotel and staff are wonderful! The staff greeted us immediately, the room was in perfect condition, and even the room service was great! Great location, extremely close to campus and downtown!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The hotel was clean and the rooms were spacious. Very modern feel, though the lighting was a little dark, but reasonable. The lounge was comfortable and the place was quiet despite it's location on a highway. I would actually say the location was good since it's only a couple miles from downtown (figure $6 cab fare to 6th Street). The staff was superb and extremely friendly; they quickly responded to anything that came up during our stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed August 22, 2011

When checking into the hotel asked if we could upgrade our room from a king suite to a room with 2 queen beds. The one hotel desk employee told us there were no queen bed rooms available. This was not true because I went on line and there were over 10 rooms available. Hotel staff did not tell us where the elevator was located nor were they helpful with answering other questions.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Childress, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in August. The hotel is in the midst of a renovation, which they were very up front about. Having stayed here last year, I was able to compare the old rooms with the new. The new suites are very lovely. They were modern, yet very restful and comfortable. They include a kitchen as well as a living area and bedroom. However, I could've done without the constant hammering and drilling at 8:00 in the morning. I understand that a reno takes work, but couldn't they have started maybe after 10:00 a.m.? The night we arrived, the valet service was very poor. The valet manager was not working at the time, who is fanstastic. We were not offered any help with our bags whatsoever, in fact the guy just stood there while we took them out of our vehicle ourselves. That was a disappointment. When we got to the room, I was so excited to see that a movie was available that I've been wanting to watch. I couldn't find it on the menu, though. I called the front desk and the guy just said, he hasn't checked the movies lately and didn't know if it was showing or not. I thought he could've checked for me instead of just passing the buck to engineering. My only other beef was that they charge $10.95 for slow internet per night PER DEVICE! I thought this was ridiculous. My husband used his laptop, and I used an ipad so we were charged separately for that. Room service food was awesome. We had breakfast twice and dinner and dessert once and both times the food was served quickly and tasted fantastic! Overall, this is a nice hotel in a great location to downtown, just a few disappointments.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room.