“Best Value, Minus Location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area
Ranked #56 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I recently stayed here to try out the Doubletree brand in Austin, and I was very pleased. The top three things that stuck out to me in a good way were, 1) modern accommodations and decorations, 2) value in dining-in, and 3) sleeping/working quality of the rooms. For the first, the decor is nicely done. The rooms remind me of the Westin at the Arboretum. The walk-in shower and marble finish counter made me feel like I was staying at a nice place. Second, the room service was a great value. Is that an ocymoron? No, I order an appetizer and main course for under $20 before room service fees. I barely get a drink and appetizer at the Sheraton or HGI for that price. Lastly, since the hotel is not off 6th Street and the desk/work areas were actually near available outlets, my quality of 'living' in the room was very positive. I was able to get a good night sleep, and during the morning, I was able to get out emails, while ironing my cloths.

With that said, your only dining options are hotel, the next door Denny's, or Domino's delivery. If you want to enjoy 6th Street, you better hop in a cab. You basically trade off nightlife/dining for sleep/work quality (surprisingly, my room didn't have a single HD channel working). Since the hotel is on or near campus, there's tendency for the staff and clientele to not be very up on the manners. What I mean is that, you may see more business and family folks at Hampton Inn or Sheraton and that aura may be very high in politeness or friendliness, but when college recruiting or events happen, the environment changes. This may be one thing for high school seniors checking out the campus, but different for traveling sales people.

In all, I recommend this Doubletree to anyone that wants a quality stay that off the highway. There's no nightlife, but a relaxing bed,a warm shower, and a warm cookie awaits you.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank fastball16
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area

Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for the boys' state basketball tournament at the Frank Erwin Center. It was a great stay. We really liked the convenience of being able to walk over to the Drum - no messing with traffic or parking!! We were able to go to our room in between sessions to relax. The room was not big but was very nice. The lighting in the bathroom was a bit dim and the shower a little narrow but it was always very clean. The hotel staff was very nice and eager to please. Don't bother with the breakfast buffet at the hotel; expensive and lacking. We ate several meals at the Denny's that is very close by. We were on the sixth floor near the interstate but the noise did not bother us.

This is the only place we will stay from now on! It is a bit pricey but well worth it for the convenience.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VENSIM
Reviewed February 6, 2011

This hotel is in an good location proximate to the university. Be sure to know this is the "University Area" Doubletree as there a multiple Doubletree hotels in town and the cab drivers are easily confused.

The room was OK. I was on the highway side which led to more noise. In addition, I also experienced the noisy heater. I sleep like a rock so I had no problem but I can see how others would not sleep well. I recommend asking for a room away from the highway. A few minor problems in the room. First the clock wasn't set to the right time and I had to call maintenance to set it to the right time as you needed a screwdriver to open it up. The service was great as they came very quickly, but it was a small annoyance. In addition you could tell the room was worn as the sink had a big crack (totally functional and didn't leak) and the mirror frame was chipped.

The service was great. We were traveling for business and the whole city shut down as we got one inch of snow. As the university was closed we had to re-arrange our plans and use a meeting room in the hotel. The staff, including the general manager were extremely helpful in providing us the room and getting it setup and ready extremely quickly.

A tip for Austin that frustrated us. The cabs are very hard to find. We had to call multiple cab companies in order to get one on at least two occasions. If you need a cab call well in advance.

Overall, I recommend this hotel for those who need the location and aren't too fussy about the room.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Christopher C
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This hotel would probably be fine for those attending an event at the stadium, although I don't think walking to and from would be a good idea as this hotel is not in a good area. When I walked into my room - 6th floor - I thought the window was open. When I went to shut it, I saw that it was indeed closed, it was simply that noisy from the highway - ridiculously noisy. I had earplugs in all nights and still could not sleep. To be fair, colleagues that were on the non-highway side said their rooms were quiet, but lacking in cleanliness. The pool was filled with debris - granted, it's not the time of the year to use a pool, but just seemed indicative of the hotel. My window heater had 2 flows, no matter what setting - freezing cold air or blasting heat. The breakfast buffet is ok; if you order off the menu plan for a long wait for your food. Would not recommend this hotel to any but young party-ers looking for a convenient hotel for going to the stadium.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 26, 2010

we stayed in this hotel for one night on Christmas. We arrived late in the evening, so I didn't get to take a look around the hotel. The front desk clerk was fairly nice, he seemed a little annoyed but still professional. Two warm cookies he gave us was nice. Our room was very nice and clean. The bed was soft with alot of pillows. My spouse and I slept a full 8 hours, which is something we hardly ever do. In the morning we went to the gym to workout. It has two updated treadmills, eliptical, dumbbells, two benches and a set of medicine balls. The gym was clean and very nice. Overall our one night stay was better than expected. The only problem we had was our room did not have a shower curtain. We didn't bother to ask for one, we just used the abundance of towels that was supplied in the room. This is our second time we've stayed in a doubletree hotel and both times have been great.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 11, 2010

The check-in was quick and easy, the young lady at the check-in desk was rude and unfriendly (maybe because she had to work on Thanksgiving day?). Seemed a bit pricey for the hotel, but because of location, probably able to charge what they want. OH, but you get a free choc. chip cookie at check-in.

The room was nice, bed comfy. Good size room.

FREE Wireless internet through-out hotel including the rooms, and wired available in the room as well (there actually was an ethernet cable in the room).

Nice TV in room, but horrible picture. It could not have been HD. But, the bar and lobby have better picture quality on several TVs, so if you want to watch a game, the bar might be a better location.

The heater was horrible, noisy. It was an old window unit. The kind you find in old, cheap, motels. The one on the wall was not on. There was a crack between the window unit and the window so if you turned off the heater (because it was so loud and it made it hard to sleep) then the cold air rushed into the room. And it was pretty cold outside, so we needed the heater, and not the cold air from outside.

Had Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel. Food was wonderful, great actually, but a bit expensive.

Staff in the restaurant and bar were very friendly. Made up for the young lady at check-in.

The bonus was the location, this probably is the closest hotel to the UT stadium. Easy walking distance. Would highly recommend for game day stays. Walking from/to here better than dealing with the game day traffic.

There is a Denny's next door (easy walking distance) for one of those very late nights out, or if you don't want to eat at the hotel in the morning.

Would recommend, would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I have stayed at Doubletree Hotels and never had an experience like this. First of all, the room I got was so dim you would not be able to see yourself shampoo your hair in the shower and the window (with a hole in it) provided no light. We requested another room, that room had a problem with the door - it would not open. So we got another room, this one was better.
The whole hotel is being (or was) renovated and the construction work is sub standard. In the bathrooms there is no vent, so the moisture has nowhere to go. The new tile is not installed properly and has cracks, so I hate to think of what mold and mildew are growing behind the tiles in the bathroom.
While we were there, 9:30 am to 5 pm they were working on the roof. You can't sleep past 9:30 am or during the day because of the construction noise, which we had no idea was happening. There was no notice of the construction and I would not have paid over $100 for this hotel if I had any idea we would have so many problems. There was noise from the highway which also was annoying.
The air conditioners/heater is installed in the window and not a tight fit, so some air leaks from the room and you can see light from outside.
The staff was nice and friendly, but this is not what I had in mind for a relaxing weekend.
Last but not least, when we got checked in the 3rd room, we did not know that another person was also checked into the room. I heard some noise at the door and an employee had some with a drill to get the door handle off because another guest was not able to get into the room although the card reader was working (we had the inside lock shut so people could not get in case something like that happened).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple