I recently stayed here to try out the Doubletree brand in Austin, and I was very pleased. The top three things that stuck out to me in a good way were, 1) modern accommodations and decorations, 2) value in dining-in, and 3) sleeping/working quality of the rooms. For the first, the decor is nicely done. The rooms remind me of the Westin at the Arboretum. The walk-in shower and marble finish counter made me feel like I was staying at a nice place. Second, the room service was a great value. Is that an ocymoron? No, I order an appetizer and main course for under $20 before room service fees. I barely get a drink and appetizer at the Sheraton or HGI for that price. Lastly, since the hotel is not off 6th Street and the desk/work areas were actually near available outlets, my quality of 'living' in the room was very positive. I was able to get a good night sleep, and during the morning, I was able to get out emails, while ironing my cloths.
With that said, your only dining options are hotel, the next door Denny's, or Domino's delivery. If you want to enjoy 6th Street, you better hop in a cab. You basically trade off nightlife/dining for sleep/work quality (surprisingly, my room didn't have a single HD channel working). Since the hotel is on or near campus, there's tendency for the staff and clientele to not be very up on the manners. What I mean is that, you may see more business and family folks at Hampton Inn or Sheraton and that aura may be very high in politeness or friendliness, but when college recruiting or events happen, the environment changes. This may be one thing for high school seniors checking out the campus, but different for traveling sales people.
In all, I recommend this Doubletree to anyone that wants a quality stay that off the highway. There's no nightlife, but a relaxing bed,a warm shower, and a warm cookie awaits you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area provides homelike warmth, less than a mile from downtown Austin. Our hotel is across the street from the University of Texas and the Frank Erwin Center. The most centrally located hotel in Austin, we're only four blocks from the Texas State Capitol and within easy reach of many Austin attractions, including Austin's famed 6th Street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Austin - University Area Hotel Austin
- Doubletree Hotel Austin
- Doubletree University Area