“interesting experience but good in the end!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin
Ranked #24 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Melbourne, Australia
“interesting experience but good in the end!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were supposed to stay here for 3 nights but ending up staying for 2 nights in September. We arrived on the night of a big college football game (longhorns v. Ole miss) to find our room had been given away and the hotel was at 100% capacity even though we had booked 3 months prior. The hotel was overflowing with people and the front desk were under a lot of pressure given many football fans were drunk and a bit wild. The hotel ended up taking us over to their north Austin location (they shuttled us down there, paid for our night there and paid for our taxi to return the next day). It was 1 am by the time we got to a hotel room and we were bummed but what really made us feel better was the valet Tommy/Tom who drove us over to the north Austin location. He was really apologetic and kind even though he obviously had nothing to do with the mix up, it really made a difference. Once we got to the hotel, we found our room was very large and comfortable and is in a generally good location.

Room Tip: Double confirm your arrival time and be away of local football games
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Danny C, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear S F,

I am so glad you took time to share you experience while you were our guest last month. I know there was an unpleasant surprise when you arrived initially; after traveling all the way from Australia only to find your reservation had been dishonored - I am so sorry this happened. I am glad to know that your experience once you returned as our guest was outstanding. I will be sure to share your praise to Tom so he knows how valued his assistance during your stay. Your patience and understanding during this difficult situation mean more than I can say here, thank you again for everything. If you are ever back in Texas, I would love the opportunity to host you again and ensure you have a preferred hotel that you can trust. I truly hope we may come to welcome you as our guest again soon.

Danny Craven

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We recently hosted 12+ clients at DoubleTree Suites in Austin. Overall, we were impressed with the size of the rooms. Additionally, the rooms that faced towards downtown had an excellent view of the Capital Dome and the rest of the city.
The hotel is conveniently located- 10 minute walk to 6th St. 2 blocks from Starbucks. <5 min drive to Interstate. 25-30 min to airport. The hotel also offers a downtown shuttle and we were able to utilize this one evening to take our group into the city.
Mainly, we were greatly impressed with the hotel staff, especially Tom, Daniel, and Emma, who all showed great initiative and were very willing to offer us help at every turn.
My main regret was that, in general, there didn't seem to be enough on-site staff to support the number of guests at the hotel. While my run-ins with staff were each very positive and they did their best to attend to each of our concerns, for the majority of our 1-week stay, the front desk seemed to be so overloaded with calls and requests - the line was generally longer than it should have been in order to allow for all their guests to be serviced in the generally accepted period of time. I saw several other guests frustrated at the amount of time it took for them to speak to someone and was concerned that we had a better experience than others.

Room Tip: ask for a room that looks into downtown Austin and the Capital Dome.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Danny C, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Julie H,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel; I am so glad to see you had a great experience with our hotel during your event. I will be sure to pass on your praise to our Sales and Front Office Team so they know how much you appreciated all their effort. I see there may have been some staffing challenges that were preventing us from delivering superior service to all of our guests. I am sorry that you had to endure the increased delays while you were with us. I am pleased to say I do not believe such an issue will recur should you return as we just welcomed several new members to our amazing team. I hope the disappointment you endured did not cause any lasting negative impressions of our hotel and staff. I hope that we may come to see you as our guests again soon. Stop by anytime, we'd love to see you.

Best,
Danny
Denver, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I found the hotel staff to be friendly, responsive, and personable. The rooms are well appointed and very spacious. My one complaint is that the hotel charges for internet service. As a business traveler, it is necessary for me to remain connected, and the hotel knows this. It's time that hotels such as this one provide internet access as a basic amenity. I'd gladly give back the cookie if that would help the bottom line.

Dear Gregory F,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel; I am so glad to learn you enjoyed our recently renovated hotel and suites. I know you were disappointed with the internet services that we offer to our guests; I am so sorry we missed your expectation as one of our business travelers. The wifi does become complimentary for our Hilton HHonors Gold & Diamond Members, so if you continue to stay with Hilton Worldwide you will soon be enjoying this amenity. I hope the disappointment you endured did not cause any lasting negative impressions of our hotel and staff. I hope that we may come to see you as our guests again soon. Stop by anytime, we'd love to see you.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hilton is my favorite brand and I travel a lot for business. I really prefer suite properties. They offer comfort and convenience when I travel for business and really help keep me refreshed. However, the staff are an important part of the overall experience at a hotel. And Hilton really needs to come to the aid of this management team for training. This is not an inexpensive hotel - it offers valet, a restaurant, bellman service, and all of the other customary services for hotels. So here is my experience.

Check in was efficient and friendly. However I was told that one of their elevators was down and to "go around the corner and follow the signs". Folks - that means you're going into the service bowels of the hotel where there are 2 elevators. I was fine with that until you have to stop on multiple floors and every time you stop there is house keeping cart or trash cart blocking the exit of the elevator. I realize they have to do their work, and I realize they need their work space. But when the main elevator is down, seeing and smelling trash and dirty laundry, and slowing me down to my room doesn't make for a experience equal to the DoubleTree brand. Next - while the hotel offers Valet service, good luck getting your car quickly. When you pull into the hotel the circle is a nightmare - with a valet or two running around, very inefficiently. I honestly feared for my car. Pick-up was only marginally better. As far as the restaurant - what a poor menu - for dinner I think there are 3 major entree items (and they were out of flank steak on both Saturday and Sunday night). The sandwiches on the menu are nice, but there really needs to be a lot more variety. Breakfast is standard fare, nothing special, and the service is efficient, but not overly attentive. i had my waitress and also another person I assume to be a "manager" stop by my breakfast table - actually more like run by - and both them, without stopping and looking me in the eye, ask me if my food was good? Seriously - a hotel doesn't have time for the staff to STOP, look the customer in the eye and ask a question - they have time to literally fly by and speak without stopping and properly addressing the guest? Oh, and there were only 4 tables being served - so it wasn't busy at all.

This is a very modern hotel - the decor is lovely, and the rooms are very comfortable. You'll just have trouble getting to and from your room quickly and efficiently. I was told by one of the staff on the elevator that it would be down for 6 months!!! The service of the hotel is just poor - and I attribute that to less than satisfactory management failing to properly train and supervise the staff. For the money, there are far better hotel options in Austin.

1 Thank Terry M
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Frequent Traveler901,

I tried reaching you while you were in house and sorry we didn't get the opportunity to meet. I appreciate your loyalty to Hilton and wanted to personally extend our apologies and most important hear how we could immediately make this right while you were here, staying with us.

I've shared your comments not only with our Restaurant Manager but also with our Executive Team, and I understand you spoke with our Front Desk Supervisor Danny prior to departure. Please give us a 2nd chance to make it right, and I'd personally like to make your reservation for your next trip to Austin.

Thank you for the comments, we take our guests reviews seriously and please know we use these to improve, make changes, and train accordingly.

Safe travels,

Cecilia
Seattle, Wa, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I keep forgetting about their cookies. They're great. Also a good affordable place to stay in down town Austin. Rooms are large and offer good views. Got a shuttle downtown too that was much cheaper than a cab!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Danny C, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Michael M,

Thank you taking a few moments to talk about your experience as our guest. I am so pleaed to know that you enjoyed your time as our guest. I will be sure to pass on your praise to our Shuttle Drivers; they certainly are an integral part of our amazing service team. I must agree, as well, that our cookies are always a nice bonus when coming to stay with us. I hope we may come to see you again soon, I'll be sure to keep some cookies set aside for you when that day arrives.

Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was our first trip to Austin and we were very happy with this very comfortable and spacious suite. The rooms are modern and very clean. The staff was professional and very friendly. We were particularly pleased with the Shuttle service they provided. The bellmen always went out of their way to please us when providing this Shuttle service. Greatly appreciated. Check-In was quick and efficient. Maid service was excellent. The cookies were excellent too. The location was central to all our needs and easily within walking distance when we chose to walk. Would definitely stay here again. The only small complaint is the in-room safe. It is positioned in the closet in such a way that you cannot fully open the door. Difficult to access.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Robert98033,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am so pleased to learn you had such a wonderful experience while you were our guest. I will be sure to pass on your praise to our bellmen specifically for their outstanding efforts to ensure you were well taken care of. I see that there was some slight disappointment with the in-room safe; I am so sorry for the trouble you were made to endure. Just in case you are returning, we would be pleased to offer you access to the Hotel Safe Deposit Boxes to ensure your property is well-protected. I hope that we may come to have you as our guests again soon. Please stop by anytime, we'd be pleased to welcome you back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was absolutely my BEST hotel stay that I've ever had (and I travel to hotels often). Upon my arrival, I received a warm, delicious chocolate cookie and a warm smile. I found out that I was the "Guest of the Day" and I received complimentary wine that my boyfriend and I enjoyed upon our entry into our room. Our King Suite was so clean and gorgeous and there are We went out on the town to 6th Street, and the hotel has this awesome shuttle service that takes you wherever you need to go within a 2 mile radius before 10:30pm. This was awesome except that it ended at 10:30pm so if you planned to go out without dinner it may be a little tricky. Had an awesome time at the Iron Cactus and in the clubs on 6th Street, and then we decided to head home. It was only a 20 minute walk to the hotel, so we decided to hoof it and ended up in front of the moonlit Capitol Building! So gorgeous! I felt very safe, had an awesome view of downtown, staff was friendly as well. I wish it was a little cheaper but it ended up being a very good bargain for the great location and excellent service. We also got free breakfast because I was the Guest of the Day!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I find myself at a loss for words when attempting to respond to your kind review. To receive the accolade of "Best Hotel Stay I've Ever Had" certainly carries a lot of weight and I am honored that we could earn such high praise. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your time as our guest. I know you were slightly disappointed with our hotel shuttle service, I do understand its' operating hours can be limiting however this is for the safety of our guests and drivers. Late nights in downtown Austin can be quite troublesome for local transportation and the last thing we would ever want is to endager the safety of our guests. I am so pleased you were selected as our Guest of the Day; I hope you have since enrolled in the Hilton HHonors program so you may begin to take advantage of all the lovely amenties and benefits that program can offer. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon, please stop be anytime we'd love to see you again.