“Clean & Quiet”

Ranked #21 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Tyler, Texas
“Clean & Quiet”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed here for one night and really enjoyed the hotel. We arrived at 2pm and were able to check into our room. The gal that checked us in did not offer us the cookies, and I forgot to ask...how does that happen? The entire room (bedroom, bathroom, sitting room and kitchen) were all very clean. The beds and pillows were very comfortable, however, the mattress on the sofabed was horrible and I don't know how my daughter slept on it - you could feel the springs and there was no cushioning at all, so I would not count on using the sofabed in the future. The kitchen was nice - a small, full-size fridge, sink, dishwasher, microwave, coffee maker, toaster and a few dishes. I would stay here again and shop at the Whole Foods about 8 blocks away to stock the fridge, but I would be sure to buy some paper plates and plastic ware as there was only one set of silverware. The blackout drapes were awesome and it kept the room so dark I will remember to bring a nightlight with me next time.

The hotel is close to the capitol and about 9-blocks from 6th street. We did not mind the walk at all as we enjoy the exercise and it really is not a bad walk. The hotel lobby had 3 different types of chilled, fresh fruit/vegetable water available - very nice on a warm day. We had a car, and thankfully a small one, as I had read reviews about the size of the parking garage (and spaces) under the hotel - it is small and so are the spaces! If I had my Suburban with me I would have opted for valet parking, which looked like it was located right outside the main entrance of the hotel, with limited spaces. Self-parking is $19 and like most hotels, unfortunately, they charge for wifi, so be sure to consider those extra costs when booking a room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Whidbey Island, Wa
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We spent two nights here this weekend and have nothing but great things to say about this property. I'd requested early arrival at noon on their website. I called from my drive in to ask if it was possible to check in before 11:00. The woman answering the phone said they had been planning on the noon check in but would hurry things up to be ready an hour earlier. They had our suite clean and waiting when we arrived just prior to 11:00 a.m. All the Upon Arrival requests were stocked in the suite. Everything in the suite worked perfectly, including the really nice TV's, kitchen appliances, AC, etc.
Danny the manager was such a gracious host and remembered our names every time we saw each other in passing. Our flight today is at 6:30 p.m. so he offered late check out at 4:00 p.m. which gave us time to visit the nearby history museum, have a late lunch at the Texas Chili Parlor next door and relax before our flight. Every staff person we met was friendly and helpful. When Malcom the concierge heard we were going to Austin Land and Cattle for dinner he ran up to the 15th floor and tucked a "complimentary appetizer" voucher under our door. He also arranged for the shuttle to take us to dinner and bring us back to the Doubletree afterward. We have always stayed at the Hilton downtown but this was such a nice visit thanks to Danny's hospitality that we'll be back here again!

Room Tip: Top (15th) floor corner suite with large terrace was fantastic. Especially with the view of the cap...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lee B, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear drea389,

Thank you so much for the feedback! We are so proud of the friendly and authentic service our staff provides and I'm so glad to hear that you got to experience it first hand! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Omaha, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2013

When staff says a resturant is "within walking distance", that means within 6-7 blocks. Internet is restricted to only ONE device (even after paying). No free wifi. Comfy beds, nice big 2 room suites. Don't expect to watch TV as all stations are fuzzy. Overall still happy though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Conor T,

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry that your stay was unsatisfactory. We have relayed your comments to the appropriate hotel management and are working towards fixing some of the problem areas you identified. I hope that you'll stay with us again in the future so we can provide you with a truly hospitable experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Although our meeting room didn't have FOLIAGE, the 'professional pictures' show a good representation of this hotel. The elevators need a serious overhaul, the front desk staff is really mediocre (but the EARLY-MORNING team is spectacular - and thanks to Bertha for her great service to our group all week!) and the parking garage is just plain scary. But the bar is lovely, bartender attentive and the rooms are large and comfy. Oh and the shuttle was a VERY pleasant bonus to take 8-9 of us to dinner - and pick us up! Close-by restaurants were good and the convenience store (7-11; of course - it's Texas!) had a good stock of hotel necessaries! The real downside was this hotel is up near the capital, and not down near 6th St. But it was quiet and we WERE there for a business trip...

Room Tip: Sleeping rooms on 2nd floor are the same floor as the meeting spaces - so decide if this is a good t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Susan P,

Thank you for your feedback! We hope to host you at our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We came for a quick visit and stayed here and had a great time. Our room was spacious and everything was clean. The people working were very friendly! Gave us some nice warm cookies at check in. Had a nice shared patio with a Capitol view. They also had a complimentary shuttle to take folks places within a two mile radius, and the driver was very helpful getting us somewhere a little off the beaten path! Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tjk1085,

Thank you for the kind review! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Houston
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Arrived at 3pm told room not ready front desk took my cell number & said would call me as soon as it was ready. Check at front desk around 3:30pm still not ready we will call. They never called me at 7pm went to front desk again they told me I did not check in which I did, at 3pm they took my ID & credit card they forgot to notify me my room was ready now, I was late getting to my daughters rehersal dinner for her wedding (ya that's right) & set off a bad few days of my daughters wedding parties. Another one of our wedding party guest came in around 4pm & received a room on the same floor I was placed on but I still did not get my room til

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

WildaboutAustin, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Bofous,

Please allow me to begin by saying how truly sorry I am for your disappointment and frustration that stemmed from your recent stay at our hotel. I know how important it is to have a hotel that will ensure a fantastic wedding for your daughter; I also know that we fell well short of providing that for you. While any of my colleague's could list a multitude of reasons for what occurred, I will save you the excuses; we let you down and I hope we can find a way to make it up to you. As a traveler you deserve a responsive team focused on your needs and the little things you require to make your with us the truly outstanding. I can say with confidence that this poor service is quite atypical of our hotel; I know we can and will do better in the future. While I know you have already indicated you will not be returning, I hope you may be willing, one day, to stay with us again. If you do not object to speaking with me further about this matter, I can be reached at 512.478.7000 at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hopefully speaking with you soon,

Most Sincerely,
Danny Craven
Glenview, IL, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Spent a long weekend in this hotel while there for my duaghter's wedding. We had a room on the 15th (top) floor with a large patio overlooking the capital. What a wonderful place for everyone to hang ou in the evenings. This is a great location with great rooms and service at a competitive price.

Dear Jimmy M,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm so glad you enjoyed the suite and the view. Congratulations on your daughters wedding! Come and see us again soon!