“Great location & room...but too many problems”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin
Ranked #28 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I love Austin but the hotel culture consistently falls flat. First off, never travel with me because the clerk will always put you on the lowest floor. But this time I complained. I had specifically booked through Hilton at full rate--and not a third party--in hopes of getting a better room. When I went back to the lobby they grumbled but eventually gave me a room much higher. So who were they saving the better room for? a Priceline or Expedia customer?

The second day I was out all morning and returned around 2pm. Room was not made. I left again at 2:30 and returned around 6:30. Room still not made. They never came. To be fair, a day later I ran into a supervisor who asked how everything was and I mentioned the room and he cut my rate for that day.

I had turn off the a/c because it banged all night. Not a fan but an inconsistent banging. It was grating enough not to have a/c in Austin in June.

Windows are single pane which makes little sense on a busy road and less sense in Texas heat.

My last day, the wake-up call never rang. Glad my phone alarm worked or I would have missed flight.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Lee B, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear GoneTrippn,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay. We have relayed your comments to the appropriate hotel management in hopes that we can remedy the problems you mentioned. If you're ever in need of housing in Austin again we would love to serve as your host so that we can provide the stay and service you deserve.

Lee S. Bortner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I don't review every hotel stay as I travel for business and pleasure quite often, but this hotel and staff deserves a 5 star review. From the first minute I walked in the door I was treated with the most friendly and helpful staff you can imagine. Everyone was so helpful and seemed to genuinely care about my stay here for 2 nights. My room was upgraded without asking, every door was opened for me, I was presented with drink and breakfast vouchers, etc. If I ever return to Austin for business, I will without question return here!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Derek2023,

Wow! Thank you so much for your feedback! We're so glad you experienced the service you deserve as a guest of DoubleTree and we look forward to serving as your host again in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a bachelorette party and had a wonderful stay. The staff was friendly, the food was good and it was extremely close to 6th Street and a 7 Eleven that we frequented for snacks and drinks that we put in our in-room kitchen/refrigerator. I would definitely recommend this hotel for large groups of people. We loved the balconies off each room and the fold out bed in the living room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear T.A. Member,

Thank you for the feedback! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This DoubleTree was a wonderful place to stay and had a shuttle that took us downtown to all the shops, bars and restaurants in Austin, which saved us a boatload in taxi fare. Also, everyone at the desk was helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again myself.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jenna F,

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you got to experience some of the shops in the area around our hotel and that the shuttle worked so well for your group. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Enjoyed this hotel. Got complimentary cookies, and the room had a warm vibe that reminded me of home. Enjoyed it. The only bad thing was paying $20 for parking a night/ per car. But overall it was great

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Kristine D,

Thank you for the feedback! Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

You can't be the location in the thick of the city of Austin. The rooms were fantaastic with a small kitchen and livingroom area. Fitness room was adequate and the meeting rooms easily met our needs. It was a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We visitited for one night on the way north. Got a great rate on a bid site and we were able to walk to the strip north 2 blocks to eat. Next to the capital and a few blocks north of 6th street. The mini kitchen handy if you want to host a party or feed the family. The self parking is additional so, add about more 17 dollars and the mini spaces are a tight fit. Overall its a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear ernestoc94,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We look forward to serving as your host again in the future.