“Perfect Austin Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Dallas, Texas
“Perfect Austin Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I traveled to Austin on a business trip. Myself and a collegue shared a 2 room suite. It was big, well maintained and the kitchenette was an added perk. It's also within walking distance of the State Capital. The staff was excellent. The front desk supervisor Danny was sooo nice as was the maintenance worker Russell! They were just effortlesslessy friendly. Not to mention the Double Tree cookies are the Pièce de résistance!

Room Tip: You gotta try the cookies!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lee B, Sales Coordinator at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hello CLoGo,

Thanks for the feedback! Our large one bedroom suites with a King or 2 Queen size beds are comfortable for single or double occupancy business trips like yours. Our kitchenettes are in every suite and are a popular amenity among business and leisure travelers alike. Thank you again for the comments and I will pass along your kind words to Danny and Russell. Come back to see us again soon!

Sales Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel dozens of times over the years (through 2 complete remodels now, most recently within the past year or so) and I really enjoy this property.

Virtues:
--Great location (walking distance to the Capitol and UT)
--Every room is a legitimate, large 2 room suite, complete with kitchen and supplies, and a door separating the living and sleeping quarters
--Quiet rooms (very little room to room or floor to floor noise)
--Famous Doubletree cookies at check-in

Minor inconveniences:
--Only 2 elevators, which is kind of a small number for a meeting hotel with this many floors. It isn't uncommon, when the hotel is largely filled with attendees for an on site conference, for you to have to wait more than a time or two to find an open spot on one of the elevators.
--Pool is outdoors, limiting usefulness for a few months each year.

All in all, not a bad trade off for what are some of the quietest and most comfortable, spacious rooms I've visited.

Room Tip: If you can get an upper floor room (above 8 or so probably), it will decrease the likelihood of you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello TopofTXtraveler,

How great to hear honest feedback from a returning guest who’s experienced several of our hotel renovations. Unfortunately we can’t increase the number of guest elevators, but we are undergoing an elevator upgrade beginning this month which modernizes not only the cosmetics but also our elevators’ functional features. I really appreciate your kind words regarding the virtues of our hotel and hopefully in the near future we’ll be waiting at check in with your warm delicious Doubletree cookie and introduce you to our newly restored zip elevators!

Tampa, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Room was large and clean. It is nice to have a kitchenette. But, one big selling factor to us (a family travelling for leisure) was the "heated" pool. The pool area looks lovely online, but don't be fooled. It was dirty and towels were not available. Also the pool is absolutely NOT HEATED. It was freezing, and basically entirely unusable. I would recommend staying downtown, near the lake, not uptown near the state house.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Corner1002,

I’m sorry to hear your experience at our hotel was disappointing and appreciate you bringing your concern regarding our pool to our attention. We’ve taken measures to ensure our pool is better maintained and pool towels are stocked. Both of these procedures are standard and it is unacceptable for our guests to experience anything less. Our pool is heated and should be kept at an acceptable temperature year round. Thanks to your feedback we have informed our Director of Engineering to check for problems that may be impacting our pool’s temperature. Again, our apologies for your unsatisfactory experience and we hope you’ll stay with us again to experience our standard of service and quality mandated not only by the DoubleTree brand, but our team members as well.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. The staff is very friendly, the hotel is clean, but most of all it was extremely QUIET! We did not hear anything from other rooms or outside. When we woke up yesterday morning and looked outside we noticed the Austin Marathon going on right outside and we did not hear any cheering, etc until we opened our balcony window. The only drawback is that it is pretty far from my daughter's school, St. Edwards, but we might just overlook that inconvenience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lee B, Sales Coordinator at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello Kristifow,

I'm so glad you had such a good time! One of the benefits of a hotel that is not directly located on the entertainment district is the quietness of our area. It’s good to know that even during a busy event like the Austin Marathon we can preserve that sense of tranquility, and I’m very glad to hear that this was your experience. Also, I can empathize regarding our proximity to Saint Edwards. I myself am a Hilltopper, and with traffic, getting to the campus can take a while. Nevertheless, I'm so thankful for your kind words and honest feedback and I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Please come see us again any time you're in the area.

Kind Regards,

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I went to Double Tree Suites this weekend for my birthday and I was blown away with how great the entire staff was. I was made to feel like a guest of honor from the minute I walked in. Danny at the front desk was extremely helpful and fun to chat with. I definitely would recommend anyone to check out this hotel. Besides the great front desk and housekeeping staff I was so impressed with the quality of their rooms. I definitely will be going back often! Thank you so much Double Tree staff! You made my birthday an event to remember!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lee B, Sales Coordinator at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello RyanAS_86,

First let me start by saying Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like it was a good one and we're so glad we could contribute towards that! Danny and the rest of the front desk and housekeeping teams are very good at what they do, and we really appreciate your kind words and recognition for them. Anytime you're in the area we'd love to have you again.

Again, Happy Birthday!

Kingwood, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Very comfortable plush beds and bedding. Rooms were very clean & well appointed. Great location! A downer, internet service (except for AT&T) is not provided without a fee.
Overall, I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DianaVKingwood_Texas
Lee B, Sales Coordinator at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hello Diana,

It sounds like you enjoyed the overall feel and experience of the hotel minus the charge for guest room internet. I can understand your frustration with this, and I’m pleased to say that beginning in June of 2013, our basic wireless internet service will be offered free of charge to all guests. I greatly appreciate your kind words regarding the hotel including your recommendation, this means a great deal as I’m sure you know. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay, I hope you come to see us again soon!

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've stayed at one other Doubletree in the past, and it wasn't anything special, so I had low expectations coming in. That said, I was very surprised (in a very good way) at how nice this hotel is. We stayed in a 2-br suite - one room had a king bed, and the other had 2 queen beds. There was also a living room area and a kitchen.

Both bedrooms were very spacious. The decor in the room, and in the hotel overall, felt updated and modern. The bedding was comfortable, and the room was pretty clean. While there were only two elevators in the hotel, we never had to wait very long, so it works well.

Check-in was efficient, and they give you warm cookies, so that's a nice touch. As a Gold member, I got vouchers for free continental breakfast. I took advantage of that, and actually upgraded (for $3/person) to include hot meals (such as eggs, bacon, sausages, etc.) Breakfast tasted very good, so all in all, a nice deal for Gold members.

Location-wise, I know some people have complained about it. I mean, it's not super duper centrally located, but it's definitely conveniently located. We walked down to the main hub of Congress & 4th, and it took only 10 minutes. It was a short drive to Franklin Barbecue, and also a short drive to UT-Austin, so no complaints from us.

All in all, this hotel has made me reconsider my opinion of Doubletree (at least Doubletree Suites), and I'd have no problem staying here again, or recommending it to others!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dagongster
Hello DGNYC78,

I’m so glad to hear you had such a pleasant experience at our hotel and thank you for the compliment regarding our décor. We completed a year-long full renovation March of 2012, so it’s nice to hear the changes are both apparent and appreciated. I’m also very happy to hear you felt treated especially well as a Gold Hilton Honors member. If you ever find yourself needing hotel accommodations in Austin, please think of us. We’d be happy to see you again!