“Unexpectedly terrific”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin
Ranked #28 of 204 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've stayed at one other Doubletree in the past, and it wasn't anything special, so I had low expectations coming in. That said, I was very surprised (in a very good way) at how nice this hotel is. We stayed in a 2-br suite - one room had a king bed, and the other had 2 queen beds. There was also a living room area and a kitchen.

Both bedrooms were very spacious. The decor in the room, and in the hotel overall, felt updated and modern. The bedding was comfortable, and the room was pretty clean. While there were only two elevators in the hotel, we never had to wait very long, so it works well.

Check-in was efficient, and they give you warm cookies, so that's a nice touch. As a Gold member, I got vouchers for free continental breakfast. I took advantage of that, and actually upgraded (for $3/person) to include hot meals (such as eggs, bacon, sausages, etc.) Breakfast tasted very good, so all in all, a nice deal for Gold members.

Location-wise, I know some people have complained about it. I mean, it's not super duper centrally located, but it's definitely conveniently located. We walked down to the main hub of Congress & 4th, and it took only 10 minutes. It was a short drive to Franklin Barbecue, and also a short drive to UT-Austin, so no complaints from us.

All in all, this hotel has made me reconsider my opinion of Doubletree (at least Doubletree Suites), and I'd have no problem staying here again, or recommending it to others!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank dagongster
Lee B, Sales Coordinator at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Hello DGNYC78,

I’m so glad to hear you had such a pleasant experience at our hotel and thank you for the compliment regarding our décor. We completed a year-long full renovation March of 2012, so it’s nice to hear the changes are both apparent and appreciated. I’m also very happy to hear you felt treated especially well as a Gold Hilton Honors member. If you ever find yourself needing hotel accommodations in Austin, please think of us. We’d be happy to see you again!

Warm Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

It was a very good experience when I stayed there last September. The location was very nice. It was bang opposite the Texas Medical Association where we had a meeting. The stay was very comfortable. The suite was very well-appointed, though I couldn't get one with a view of the Capitol, as the Hotel was fully booked. Places like the Bob Bullock State History Museum and Truluck's restaurant were walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Saumya P
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for the nice comments and TMA is a great neighbor of ours!
Safe travels and hope to see you again!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is a great hotel for a family that wants to be near UT Austin. Very good rooms, and everyone loves the cookies. Service was good. The only drawback is that there isn't much around the neighborhood without a bit of a walk. Not much in the way of nearby restaurants. You have a nice kithen, but no supermarket, just an unusually poorly stocked convenience store nearby. If you have kids, you really need a car to go anywhere they will like. This is a town for people who want to go to clubs. It is a very nice town, but the kids probably would have been happier in San Antonio.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TominLA
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Happy your family stayed with us and enjoyed our suites! They are perfect for a business traveler to a family of 6! I hope you heard and used our complimentary shuttle within a 2mile radius of hotel. This covers most of downtown's area including Whole Foods and HEB Grocery Stores. San Antonio huh? Well they do have that green creek downtown and Shamu... But hope you had a boat tour on our downtown Lady Bird Lake, or visited our Trail of Lights and Tree in Zilker Park, or had the best ice cream ever at Amy's, or saw a 3D movie at the IMAX theater, or experienced NYE at family friendly 1st NIght at Auditoreum Shores with live music, great food, and firework show, or... please call me or ask one of our bellman next time you're family's in ATX, we'll show you a great time full of wonderful memories!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Traveled to Austin for a brief stay to attend my brother's wedding. I was with my sister and shared a Queen Suite. Room was spacious and had a separate living room and kitchenette. The hotel was clean. Area was okay but a bit desolate at night. Service staff were attentive.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments, but 'desolate' is pretty extreme. I mean, we're not on or next to the entertainment districts and i'm happy to say we're close enough to downtown's entertainment districts to enjoy (7 blocks away) yet far enough away to miss the revelry, noise, and destitutes. And our complimentary shuttle van can take you from our front door to any downtown club, lounge, cafe, bar, shop, or restaurant you want. And just blocks surrounding our hotel is a Starbucks, the locally famous Chili Parlor, Cherry's Pizza, The Clay Pit Restaurant, and the Dog and Duck Pub, to name a few evening spots.

Thanks for staying with us and mentioning our clean suites and attentive staff!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I had come to expect wonderful service and friendly, unpretentious staff from this Hilton brand. Not so in the city that has as its motto, 'keep Austin wierd'. While check in was quick and the room wonderful, our included breakfast evaporated and staff argued when we showed them our confirmation. Quite bizarre. Usually, staff welcome our 4 and 6 year old, and breakfast is never a problem. It took three tries to get a booster seat for our daughter. The cookies were underdone as well. But that is the least of it. Location isn't fabulous for city attractions but is convenient for I-35.

• Stayed: December 2012

I'm not sure what transpired at the front desk regarding breakfast but will copy your comments to our Director of Front Office. This certainly isn't our standard and i'm very surprised and obviously there was a misunderstanding. We offer boosters in our 15th Street Cafe and even offer a children's menu, and i'm terribly sorry it took several requests before you obtained one.

Our location is so close to many city attractions such as the Texas State History Museum and IMAX theater (your 4 and 6 year olds would have loved the IMAX 3D!) and Dells Children Museum, the Capitol, Cherry's pizza (best in downtown Austin), Amy's Ice Cream, Frank Erwin Center (The Blue Man Group was just here and another attraction your children would have loved), and many other destination attractions our complimentary 10 passenger shuttle could take your family to within a 2mile radius of our hotel.

Please try us again! Ask for me or any of our Bellman to recommend sites and attractions near by!

Thank you, and happy you enjoyed our suites and proximity to IH35, close yet far enough away!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Yet another situation where my company sent several employees to a city with no direction on where to stay. Our meetings were at the AT&T Conference Center (on the University of Texas campus) but the hotel attached to that complex was asking more than $500 a night.

Thanks to TripAdvisor and a bit of mapping, I had the best arrangements of the group, a stay at the DoubleTree Suites. This hotel is less than a ten minute walk away (and a pleasant one at that) from the conference center and easily half the price. The room was enormous, spotless, quiet, and well-lit. Even the room service was excellent. I got a lot of work done there.

The only negative was a $12 fee for internet access, but the room was so inexpensive I wasn't as outraged as usual.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gridskipper

You win! And thank you for staying with us. We are conveniently located to the AT&T Conference Center on UT Campus and as you mentioned, we're just a short pleasant walk. We often have guests stay with us who want to be near the University of Texas, State Capitol complex or near the downtown entertainment district.

Appreciate you noticing our 'spacious clean and quiet suites' and i'll share your room service comments with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. And beginning June 1st, our basic wireless HSIA will be free!! Yep, complimentary basic wireless internet access, now you have to come back!

Safe travels and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This place is off the charts. From the time I pulled up to the valet to being greeted by Danny at the desk I felt like I was actually important. Great smiles and greetings all the way. I was in a hurry to get out the door in the morning and made a mess in the room. The cleaning staff even straightened up a few of my items which was a huge stress relief when I got back from a busy day. I knew I hurried out and to come back feeling like they cared about my return was amazing. I am going to make it a point to stay here every time I'm in Austin. I stay all over the country but ALWAYS look forward to my return to this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear BX,

Thank you for your time in writing about your stay. Appreciate the kudos and will share with our Team in our monthly team luncheon. Our Valet, Danny, and housekeeping will be happy to hear they were recognized and all will be thrilled to hear you wrote we're 'OFF THE CHARTS!'

We know by the time our guests reach us from locking thier home to hours spent on the road or on a plane, most experience the 'wonders and thrill' of traveling and we welcome each one with a friendly smile and a warm delicious cookie, just happy they reached our destination. We also know it's a traveler's choice and we so look forward to your return!

Thank you again for the nice comments, BX. i will enjoy sharing them with our team members.

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Austin