“Best for AT&T Conference Center”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin
Ranked #22 of 201 Hotels in Austin
New York City, USA
“Best for AT&T Conference Center”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Yet another situation where my company sent several employees to a city with no direction on where to stay. Our meetings were at the AT&T Conference Center (on the University of Texas campus) but the hotel attached to that complex was asking more than $500 a night.

Thanks to TripAdvisor and a bit of mapping, I had the best arrangements of the group, a stay at the DoubleTree Suites. This hotel is less than a ten minute walk away (and a pleasant one at that) from the conference center and easily half the price. The room was enormous, spotless, quiet, and well-lit. Even the room service was excellent. I got a lot of work done there.

The only negative was a $12 fee for internet access, but the room was so inexpensive I wasn't as outraged as usual.

1 Thank gridskipper
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
You win! And thank you for staying with us. We are conveniently located to the AT&T Conference Center on UT Campus and as you mentioned, we're just a short pleasant walk. We often have guests stay with us who want to be near the University of Texas, State Capitol complex or near the downtown entertainment district.

Appreciate you noticing our 'spacious clean and quiet suites' and i'll share your room service comments with our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. And beginning June 1st, our basic wireless HSIA will be free!! Yep, complimentary basic wireless internet access, now you have to come back!

Safe travels and Happy New Year!

Wild about Austin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This place is off the charts. From the time I pulled up to the valet to being greeted by Danny at the desk I felt like I was actually important. Great smiles and greetings all the way. I was in a hurry to get out the door in the morning and made a mess in the room. The cleaning staff even straightened up a few of my items which was a huge stress relief when I got back from a busy day. I knew I hurried out and to come back feeling like they cared about my return was amazing. I am going to make it a point to stay here every time I'm in Austin. I stay all over the country but ALWAYS look forward to my return to this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear BX,

Thank you for your time in writing about your stay. Appreciate the kudos and will share with our Team in our monthly team luncheon. Our Valet, Danny, and housekeeping will be happy to hear they were recognized and all will be thrilled to hear you wrote we're 'OFF THE CHARTS!'

We know by the time our guests reach us from locking thier home to hours spent on the road or on a plane, most experience the 'wonders and thrill' of traveling and we welcome each one with a friendly smile and a warm delicious cookie, just happy they reached our destination. We also know it's a traveler's choice and we so look forward to your return!

Thank you again for the nice comments, BX. i will enjoy sharing them with our team members.

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Austin
and Wild about Austin
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I have traveled all over the world, so we can appreciate a nice hotel. This one rates with the best. The room was large, clean, quiet, and well appointed. The balcony was the icing on the cake. We could see the capital building and the beautiful sunset. I would definitely stay here again!! Some of the other nice hotels downtown were twice the price, (for a room, much less a suite)! We stayed in the king suite and enjoyed having a kitchen, even though we only stayed one night. If we stayed longer, we would have certainly used it more. There were also tons of great restaurants in walking distance. Our favorite is the Clay Pit (Indian). I wish we could go back to this hotel right now!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 13th floor. Nice and high up. Don't let superstitions spoil it for you!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeeTraveler
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear TeeTraveler,

I am delighted you found us and enjoyed your stayed. Especially happy to hear seasoned travelers and road warriors such as yourselves appreciate our services and amenities! And although we didn't have much to do with our beautiful burnt orange Texas sunsets, glad you got to use our balcony to experience it! And the Clay Pit is delicious and the best Indian food in town and just 2 blocks from our hotel. mmmmmm..... guess where i'm going to lunch today?!

Please do come back, I"ll preblock lucky STE 711, then you can walk to the 7-11 store down the street (1 1/2 blcks) and buy a winning lotto ticket! Thank you again for the comments, much appreciated!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Overall, the stay was good. Its all in the details. The hotel was nice, it was clean. The girl at the front desk was pleasant. In my reservation and when I got to the hotel, I asked for a room that did not overlook a roof. I got a room that overlooked a roof, right in my face when I opened the windows. They they put me in a suite higher up that overlooked the same roof. She didnt get it. The heater was not turned on in the unit in the room. After waiting for the heater to warm up, called the front desk and finally got someone to come up and flip the switch in the unit. 34 dgrees that night,hmm, seems they would have known. The food at breakfast was not hot in the buffet, bacon was not cooked. Lovely hotel but management needs to take care of all the details. If they are going to promote themselves as a Hilton property, they need to be the quality you expect from a Hilton property.

Room Tip: The downtown view is overlooking a roof not good unless you are higher up. Other side of the buildi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear 2011glen,

I'm terribly sorry for your roof top view. I'm certain our Front Desk agent tried to find you the best suite available. And regarding our Texas weather, unfortunately it fluctuates drastically during fall and spring seasonal changes, with low temperatures in the morning and evening and warm temperatures during the day. This creates an interesting challenge when to turn the AC or heat on in November and February. I think Austin created the fashion term and style, "layered look" due to these months, but any other month we are good to go!

Thank you much for the feedback and pointers. I took notes and will address your observations with my management team, and so happy you liked our hotel overall!

Director of Sales
DoubleTree Suites by HIlton Austin
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This year marked our team's entrance into the Big 12. We had no idea what to expect when we booked our trip to Austin. We tried to locate a hotel in walking distance of the hotel and close to tailgates since we wanted to experience the game in every way. We flew into San Antonio, because it was cheaper, and drove to Austin meandering our way through Texas Hill Country. Check-in was organized and easy and we were given the hotel's famous hot outta the oven chocolate chip cookies. The hotel also appeared to be pet friendly which would have been nice if we were local and brought our dogs. The room was spacious with a very nice separate kitchen, which was perfecting for preparing bottles and food for our 12 month old. The bathroom was very nice and the view overlooked the Texas state Capitol. We hung out our WVU banner over the open balcony too and the hotel didn't mind! Across the street is the world famous Texas Chili Parlor, made famous in song and by movie. Great frito pies and beer for all. Avoid the Mad Dog Margaritas though-- they carry a punch. Great hotel, terrific fans, and we're definitely coming back next time. Go Mountaineers and thanks to our new Texas friends too.

Room Tip: For a king suite, make sure you ask for a room with a roll out bed if you desire a couch in your liv...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear WVUProud,

Well, first of all... WELCOME TO LONGHORN COUNTRY! And secondly, we'll get ya next year... what a game that was!

You couldn't have picked a better location to experience a home UT football game and happy you found us and the Texas Chili Parlor. I didn't know it was world reknowned but us locals certainly cherish it and enjoy the hottest chili and coldest beer ever!

It sounds like you were given what i call our 'end suite' meaning at the end of the hallway. We have 2 suites on each floor located at each end of the hallway. Due to their location and the building's configuration, they are actually our smallest suites (yet still larger than a standard hotel room) and offer 2 living room chairs/ottomans versus a sofa and chair. So, 95% of our suites really offer sofa sleepers. You'll see next year!

And here's to next year and welcoming back our new Mountaineer friends, bring all the WVU flags you want to hang... and get ready for a burnt orange revenge!

Thanks for staying with us and hope to see ya next fall!

Wild about Austin!!
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is one of the nicer Doubletrees I have stayed. Rooms are nicely appointed and quiet, beds are comfy although not of the standard of Hilton or Westin brands, but definitely sleepable. I stayed 2 nights at this hotel over a sold out weekend, so the prices were higher than I would normally pay. Thus my rating for Value is affected by that. The staff here was outstanding. Dan in the restaurant was very attentive and helpful. I ate dinner in the bar/restaurant in the lobby. Food was good, drinks are a good value. The chocolate cookies are plentiful as that is a brand standard for Doubletree. Only thing I missed here is that they don't have magnified mirrors in the bathroom for putting on makeup. Location of this hotel is about 10 blocks from Sixth street where all the nightlife is in Austin. Not walking distance so had to cab back and forth.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hi Deboramac!

Thanks for the kind comments and for taking time to write!
We offer DoubleTree's Sweet Dreams® by DoubleTree sleep experience bedding package! Please come back and try us again!
Dan has been with us for almost 20 years and will share your comments with him, thank you!
And as a traveling female, I too wish we offered magnified mirrors and will certainly ramp this request up to our decorators and corporate. And sorry you missed using our complimentary Sweet Ride van shuttle. Our drivers know every cafe, lounge, bar, restaurant, taco stand, from casual to fine dining, within a 2mile radius of our hotel.

Here's to fun and memorable travels and hope to see you again!

Wild about Austin!
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Within walking distance of the State Capitol, and not far from the U.T. Campus, as well as all the night spots on historic 6th St. We had a 2 BR suite on the 8th floor. Staff are very friendly and courteous. Room was pretty good sized, flat screen TVs, up to date room furnishings, very nice bathrooms (read that as plural). Decent view of the city. If you drive, there is parking available underground, or you can use valet. One word of warning though. If you use the underground parking, it is cramped, so don't expect to fit a larger vehicle like a full size pickup, big SUV, or something like that. You'll have a tough time. It isn't the cheapest thing around, but in my view, you get what you pay for. By the way, they do take pets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WildaboutAustin, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Austin, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hi RussP from Washington!

We are close to many destination events, thank you for mentioning it! And happy you experienced our very popular 2 bedroom suites! They are perfect for families, girlfriends weekends, even work associates who burn the midnight oil working together in the living area yet have their own private bedroom and bath! And thank you for mentioning our cozy self parking underground garage, it's perfect for cars, but you're right, please don't try to park your King Ranch truck down there. Please let our bellmen assist with valet for larger vehicles. And we do love our 4 legged well behaved and pampered guests! We accept pets 40 lbs or smaller who must be registered with our Front Desk along with parent's cell phone numbers! And i will certainly share your staff comments to our team members! Thank you for noticing how friendly and courteous they are, we are in Texas and truly believe in Texas size hospitality! BTW, did you know our Capitol building is taller than our nations Capitol building!? Just a tidbit from Texas to Washington! HA!

Thanks again for the time to write and your feedback and here's to more fun and memorable travels!

Wild about Austin!