“Great hospitality and value” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Embassy Suites by Hilton Austin Arboretum
Ranked #32 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Carnelian Bay, Ca
“Great hospitality and value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

This is my first review of any hotel I have stayed in. I had stayed at an adjacent hotel two months earlier and had checked out the Embassy Suites during that visit. I happened to ask one of the restaurant staff who was cleaning up whether continental breakfast was provided. She began to tell me with unabashed enthusiasm about the cooked to order breakfasts as well as the manager's evening receptions and swan feeding for the kids on weekends (I had my 6 and 8 year-old grandsons in tow). I immediately booked a room for my upcoming visit in June.

I must say that I have never felt so comfortable at a lodging place in my life. Within the second day (I and my grandsons stayed for 6 nights), we felt like family with the staff. The only problem I had was with a thumping sound in the AC vent one night. They had maintenance come in the next morning and knocked off $45 on the bill.

I found the hot water almost too hot compared with some earlier reviewers. There is no pay per view on TV, but the boys and I had more channels than we could watch. Great having two 42" flat screens so I didn't have to watch cartoons with them. It was great having their "Corner Store" open 24/7 in the lobby to buy toiletries, cameras or ice cream.

The free breakfast food service is awesome as is the free manager's evening reception. The restaurant staff was great and, although a bit expensive compared to nearby restaurants, it was very convenient and relatively good food when we were too tired or lazy to go out.

Speaking of nearby restaurants, there are at least 10 within a 5-20 minute walk from the hotel. I don't like city driving so I appreciate finding a place with lots to do there or nearby. We used the complimentary shuttle service once to go to the Arboretum Shopping Center, which I could have walked to without the kids. We also walked across the street twice to view movies at the Gateway Theaters.

The boys loved the indoor pool and I didn't have to worry about them getting sunburned (There is an outdoor sundeck adjacent to the pool.) They also enjoyed feeding lettuce to the swans Butch and Sundance on Saturday at noon. Had I been alone I would have used the well-equipped Fitness Room.

I realized at one point that I actually liked the atrium style. As I looked out the living area window to the atrium, the place had a sort of village feel, as opposed to the dark hallways in most hotels.

All in all, I look forward to two more stays at this property in the next two months and hope that most of the same friendly staff will still be there.

• Stayed June 2010
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank roamingnoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Box Elder, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

This is an O.K. place, but I felt it was a little dated for the price. Very convenient to freeways if you need to be in that part of town.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
West Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

I remember staying at an Embassy in 1988 and a phone in the bathroom was pretty swanky. Now a bit over 20 years later I'm either harder to impress or that feature is just outdated.

Embassy Austin is a nice hotel. For the most part it seemed to be inhabited by business types and the occasional party or conference. One of the more attractive hotel staffs I've ever seen and incredibly nice. Easy check in, typical Embassy lay out. I personally don't like swans, but they have a couple that live in the pond/fountain downstairs.

The rooms are the two room suite types that have the couch and desk in one room and the bed in the other. Huge flat screen TV's in both rooms. Embassy's can be loud due to their atrium layout, but this one was quiet. I never heard my neighbors, traffic or the activities downstairs.

The free breakfast was nice. A huge selection should fit almost any taste. You can get eggs, pancakes, meats and potato's cooked to order. You can also quickly pick up a healthy breakfast bagel, yogurt or vast selection of fruit. Starbucks coffee and Tazo tea selection make the morning coffee shop run unnecessary.

I ordered from room service one night and it was really good (surprise!), fairly priced (really surprised!) and great staff in the restaurant.

The rooms have uninspired decor and look a bit dated. The bathrooms were kinda small, good quality toiletries. Everything was clean and the maid staff did a great job.

It really is a nice but typical Embassy suites with typical Embassy suites amenities and a great staff. However I don't think anyone uses the phones in hotels anymore but I especially am not touching one inches from the toilet.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Atomique
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

Everything here was perfect. The location is very central with lots to do in walking distance. The staff was excellent, and the atmosphere of the hotel helps to make any trip much better. You will notice that just about everything is themed after the swans that live in the lobby, and it can get annoying seeing everything shaped like a swan, but other than that, the hotel is great! The rooms are very spacious, 2 large flat screens, wet bar, comfortable beds (including the pull-out sofa). The bathroom is small, but reasonable. If you are looking for a short or long stay in Austin, and need to be in a central location, this is your place!

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank joepercussion1
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

This Embassy Suites was what you expect from the brand - swans, manager's happy hour, etc. It was pretty standard in terms of rooms, amenities, etc. However - the staff at this hotel was GREAT !! Stephanie at the front desk was especially helpful. She handled every request I made with a smile, the bartender remembered what I drank after the first night, and they had absolutely no problem moving me to another room when I complained about how loud the flush of the toilet was in the first room.
The location was also convenient - close to Whole Foods, a movie theater, a mall. etc.
I'd read some complaints about the televisions, but the ones in my room were "huge" flat panels - Just like home :-)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank cocosmommy
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

Stayed at the Embassy Suites Arboretum for two nights. The front desk personnel were friendly and efficient. Check in was a breeze. Stayed on the 6th (top) floor. Our room was comfortable with a great bed, good air conditioner and plenty of hot water for the shower. Televisions were large flat-screen LCD's with lots of channel selections. Housekeeping was timely and did a good job. Breakfast each morning was good - with omlets, eggs, pancakes that were cooked to order. Breakfast meats and hash browns are also offered. There was a large selection of breads, cereals, etc. Coffee and juice was also provided. The manager's reception from 5:30 - 7:30 pm was nice with free drinks (beer, wine and hard liquor available). Chips, salsa, popcorn and veggie sticks were also available at no charge. There is also a "happy hour" for appetizers during this time. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant the first night. The blackened talapia and the blackened rib eye was excellent with prompt and friendly service. I had a sandwich the next evening that was also excellent.
There are quite a few restaurant choices near the hotel; along with shopping. Good area of Austin.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here on a future trip to Austin.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank bandit
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

The hotel is located right off 35 so it is convenient to leave and be right on the highway to get wherever you want to go. You will however hear the road noise in your room also. We stayed here on a getaway trip and enjoyed our stay for the most part. I thought the breakfast could use a little closer over-sight in terms of freshness and the egg cook can lay off the oil. Much better than continental for sure. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2008