“very good value; great staff”

Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South
Ranked #59 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 1, 2009

A newer, cleaner version of the chain; plusher bathroom, better reading light, delicious bed, good work space and free internet. Small but clean fitness center, tiny but pristine outdoor pool. Very close to service road of highway (near Ben White) but it could only be heard from outside. Plenty of parking, free shuttle from airport. Small but immaculate breakfast and 24 hour coffee area. Restaurants a short drive away. Terrific staff, friendly and always helpful.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandySojourns

Reviewed September 4, 2008

Staff very helpful and friendly. Rooms clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great. Quiet location near the airport.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Hampton Inn South has and is being renovated - our room was spotless - all brand new furnishing. even the grout around the bathtub was the best I have ever seen. Generous with water - as in how many bottles would you like/coffee-tea-cocoa 24 hours in lobby. chocolate chip cookies around 1600 hours! supplies of any toiletries forgotten passed over with a smile! breakfast better than most - sausage/egg biscuits/fresh fruit salad/yogurts all types of pastries. easy to find - 2-3 minutes walk across back of inn to a chinese restaurant and a quizmos subway shop (open till 2100 M-F) also seems a very safe area

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank diost
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Hotel was very difficult to find despite having directions from several sources. Upon arrival no bottled water was offered as has been at every other Hampton Inn I have stayed at. When I requested it, I was given one bottle. There were three travelers, but was told they could only give two bottles. There were no evening snacks. I was told those were only available at Hampton Suites which is not true because every other Hampton Inn I have stayed at has had them; and fruits available 24 hours. This would normally be no big deal, but there was nowhere close around to get any food or drinks. Rooms were standard Hampton Inn. If your planned trip is to downtown Austin, try finding something closer-in.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank oldpunk
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stay at this hotel two - three times per month for about two nights per stay, and keep coming back.

Overall this Hampton Inn is at the top of its game. Breakfast and lobby area is nice, staff is always attentive, breakfast is typical Hampton (egg pucks, biscuts, sasuage, breads, pasteries, juice, coffee.) The rooms are always nice, crisp, and clean. The workout room is acceptable, though nothing special.

Hector the manager is always willing to go above and beyond.

The location is a centeral easy drive to most business activities in Austin and is located in a small business park area across from the Omni Hotel and next to a Homewood Suites. If you have a car, there is dining nearby, though without a car there is not much in walking distance other than the Omni.

The outdoor pool is average, and they do not have a real business center, but do have a PC and printer in the lobby you can use as a business center.

The only negative I have about the hotel - they tend to change my reservation from a King Non Smoking to a Double Bed Non Smoking at their will without notice. They always fix it as I am a Diamond Member, but at any rate, it seems to happen pretty frequently which leads me to think it is common practice.

For its location in Austin, the price is reasonable compared to many other choices.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank pcsanity
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Having had no previous experience with Hampton Inn, I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I cannot complain about the lack of amenities in the area, as a previous poster did, as that does not fairly reflect on the hotel. Check-in was easy and smooth and the room was well-appointed. The beds were extremely comfortable, with top quality linens, pillows and comforter. I wish I had that same bed at home!!! The work desk was very convenient in the spacious room. We had a double as we were two women traveling together on a business/pleasure trip. The bathroom was standard fare and I actually
slipped a few times in the tub, since it had a more pronounced curve
than I'd ever seen. The wall paper was peeling too. Aside from the need to update the wall paper and perhaps replace the tub with a less
dangerous one, the bathroom was large, there were many extra towels (nice to have with 2 women) and the hair dryer worked well.

The staff at the hotel was always very friendly and accomodating, from giving us directions to a a local store for last minute office supplies, to extending our reservation a night without our having to check back after we made our initial request.

I never noticed anyone in the outdoor pool, but the weather was rather chilly during our stay. It looked well kept, however.

This is a very good hotel for business travelers and families alike.
It has easy freeway access which gets you downtown in about 15 minutes.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank calitomex
Reviewed December 15, 2006

I read the reviews before booking this hotel and have to say they are a bit misleading. I thought I'd be walking into the Taj Mahal of Hampton's, but turned out to be what I usually expect out the Hampton brand, clean, comfortable stay.

Check-in
Quick and easy. I had a lot of requests due to the hotel I came from the night before. They accomodated all of them. Friendly and easy check-in.

Room
Clean, comfortable and quiet. Everything I expect from a Hampton Inn. Beds have great linens, crisp, clean sheets and duvet with a variety of pillows. King bed was comfortable and firm enough for me.

Bathroom was a good size and featured a decent amount of towels. The shower was a bit ackward with the bar, but I didn't bump my elbow which was a plus.

Easy to set alarm clock and room was actually decently quiet. There is a large highway very close by, however the hotel is set back a bit. I still asked to be on the side not facing it as I couldn't stand another night of trucks in my ears.

Free internet access (they do have hubs available if your wireless doesn't work well) and ample power outlets in the room to plug in. Room also has a desk and chair in case you want to spread out a bit.

Amenities
Free cocoa, tea and coffee in the lobby which was nice, but no cookies. They also don't have a shop so if you do want something quick you have to walk next door to the sister Hilton properity. The vending machine did not work while I was there. Would be nice if there were a few restaurants on the same strip, as Texas and all the turnarounds can get really confusing in the evening when you aren't familiar. Free breakfast bags are always appreciated as you can grab them and go.

Overall
A clean, quiet stay that is easy breezy close to the airport (about a 10 minute drive w/o much traffic). This is by far not the best Hampton I've ever stayed in, but was what I would l expect out of the chain. There is another Hilton property next door and the Omni is across the street. This is probably the best value on the block.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RedHeadGo