“You can do better (for more $$)-You can do worse for the same $$”

Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South
Ranked #65 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Fort Worth, Texas
“You can do better (for more $$)-You can do worse for the same $$”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

First let me tell you that my Hampton Inn of choice when in this area is the one in Buda, but I booked this Hampton Inn because the Buda one was sold out. I have family in the Austin/San Marcos/Kyle area we have been (and will continue) to come to this area for years. As a Gold member there are way better Hilton hotels to choose from, but I came for the Austin Color Run and felt a budget hotel was the best choice. Yes, it's by the freeway which makes it easy on/off of I35 and even easier to get any where in Austin/Buda/San Marcos area. Downtown is like 15mins away, Outlet Mall about 30mins, Stiles Switch BBQ is about 20 mins...etc. The staff is awesome, so what the hotel lacks in upscale style, the staff makes up for in customer service. Coffee available at all times, lobby area, pool area and rooms are clean. There's a microwave and mini fridge if one needs them. The breakfast is typical help yourself and there are good choices. I like that the hard boiled eggs still have the shell as I would prefer to peel my own. The staff working the breakfast area on both days was friendly and hard working. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were not over the top. My pet peeve? Bring color to the rooms...that is why I did not post pictures. Enough people posted some so that one can see the brown decor...blah. Maybe when they do a remodel the rooms will get a fresher look. Other than that, it's a decent hotel for a decent price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Crystal P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us a comment on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback and you'll be happy to know that we are going to have our rooms renovated this year! We hope to see you back again soon
Crystal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Denver, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, and the breakfast was a great way to start the day. The wireless internet access could improve, but worked most of the time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a comment on Trip Advisor! We appreciate your feedback and you'll be so happy to know that we are currently in the process of upgrading our internet service with AT&T!
See you soon
North Carolina
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I've stayed at dozens of Hampton Inns - they are always travel hotels - some are better than others - this one was sad. I wouldn't stay here again.

The property is a typical Hampton. The usual Hampton building and the usual Hampton rooms. However, it is next to a freeway and also next to a train track so that's fun if you enjoy noise. You should ask for a room on the other side of the hotel - but everyone asks for that so if you don't arrive early you won't get one (half the hotel can't be on the quiet side).

The room itself is standard Hampton - clean bed - fridge and microwave - pretty plain and basic- but clean. The bathroom was small but I've seen smaller in other Hamptons - at least you can open or close the door if on toilet so it's possible for two people to share - not a lot of extra space but could make it work.

The carpet is dirty, beaten down and nasty. If you stay in the room I was in make sure you have slippers. The shower was obviously sprayed with some sort of cleaner - not actually cleaned - just sprayed. When I turned on the shower I could feel the slippery gunk when I adjusted the shower head.

My biggest issue was the non-working a/c. Austin is hot - thank goodness it was May and not later int he summer. Again, I've stayed in dozens of Hampton Inn properties and I know how to work an a/c - this one was either frozen up or has a condenser problem - whatever the problem cold air didn't come out of it and the room as unpleasantly hot.

I mentioned the problem at check out - the desk clerk and some blonde girl who seemed to be a supervisor smiled sweetly and said "yes" and "thanks for telling us" as if I had said everything was excellent. My impression was they could not possibly have cared any less. They certainly didn't write it down or even ask for the room number so I can't see how they planned to follow up on the problem. Maybe they heard that constantly so they didn't need to ask which room. She actually had her hand on the 100% guaranteed sign which I found funny. I didn't push the issue. I'm there on business so a discount or free room means nothing to me. I might have saved my company money but my company didn't suffer the miserably hot room.

The hotel is in an industrial area - there is nothing within walking distance.

There is an Omni hotel across a little side street and a Homewood suites on the other side of the parking lot. If I needed an airport hotel in Austin I'd try one of the those (or one of the many other hotels near the airport). It's Austin so I get the whole keep Austin weird vibe but weird does not mean nasty - this hotel wasn't weird.....

Bottom line - if it were my money - I would never stay here again. Austin is a great city and there are way too many great hotels in Austin to stay in this dump again. If someone else was paying and wanted me to stay here I'd work hard to convince the decision maker to try one of the other nearby hotels. It's like the Amy Winehouse song "they said I had to go to this place and I said no no no" -

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Crystal P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
I am truly sorry to hear that upon check out we did not rectify the situation. It is very important to us that every guest has a fantastic stay and I am truly sorry that we let you down. If you would be willing to contact me at the hotel directly I would be happy to take care of the resolution personally. There are many options to offer our guests that have company paid charges!
Crystal - GM
Denton, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Management and staff go above and beyond to ensure your pleased with this hotel! Reserved a block of rooms for our daughter's wedding...was extremely pleased with every aspect with this hotel. Best complimentary breakfast that we have ever seen at any hotel across the US!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a GREAT comment like this on Trip Advisor - it's guests like you that make our jobs so rewarding! We hope to see you back again soon
Crystal & Management Team - Hampton Inn Austin South
Ellsworth Afb
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Room was average and staff was ok. No major problems. If using the shuttle to airport make sure you sign up and that you have the number of the shuttle service so you can get your ride back. Overall it was an ok average Hampton Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Crystal P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment on Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing our hotel while in Austin. We hope to see you back again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed at the Hampton Inn on Riverside near Austin's airport and found it to be a very comfortable room with cheerful people at the front desk. We stayed two nights and enjoyed the free breakfast buffet both mornings. It was your standard buffet, but what we liked most was the coffee and tea choices. Nice travel cups were there so you could grab and go.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for staying with us, we hope to see you back again soon!
Houston
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here for a short business trip. My room was spotless, breakfast was hot & fresh, staff was super friendly. Modern decor, comfortable bed...what more could you ask for? I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in South Austin!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us a comment on Trip Advisor! We hope to see you back soon