“Great Deal”

Ranked #65 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great Deal”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel was quiet and peaceful. The associates were very nice and polite; experienced no customer service issues. The hotel room is spacious and comfortable. The bed was very soft and the room was clean. Usually I happen upon hair in a hotel's sink or bathtub. I experienced none of these issues.

The breakfast is average. They advertise a "hot breakfast" and that is pretty much the best way to describe it. They serve sausage patties (not sure if beef, pork, or turkey), eggs (powdered or something else), and you can cook your own Belgium waffle. I hate to complain about it, given it was complimentary. However, I preferred the cold breakfast- cereal, fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and juice.

Overall, this hotel stay was a great deal, particularly because we were in town for a very short while. I wouldn't dare pay over $100 per night.

1 Thank JohnnyFaye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San Francisco
Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you like being surrounded by freeways, with no restaurants or other areas you can walk to, the Hampton Inn is for you. I was told there was a shuttle downtown, and there wasn't. The breakfast was so bad: omelets with Velvitta-like cheese, etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brownsville, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I'm a returning customer to this hotel. Never had a bad experience. Excellent!!! We enjoyed the king size bed and its layout. My only recommendations is to add breakfast options for person(s) who are on a specific diet.

1 Thank R S
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is an excellent choice for this category of hotel. It isn't the Ritz, of course, but a reasonably priced, clean, fairly modern hotel. The bedding was nice and new and fresh. The duvet appeared to be freshly laundered. The bathrooms were clean and well kept. Carpet pretty clean too. The lobby and breakfast areas very well kept also. Breakfast is what you expect...decent food to get you going in the morning. I ate the oatmeal with almonds and raisins. The eggs were so-so, but again, not terrible. Staff was all very friendly. They had varying degrees of knowledge of the surrounding area and what you might want to do. But all tried to be helpful. It is close to the airport and there is a complementary super shuttle to and from it. It is also close to downtown and many other attractions. I was surprised at how bad the traffic was in Austin so I would make sure you have a hotel that is sort of close to where you need to be each day. But if you want to be in South Austin I highly recommend it here. Hope this helps!

1 Thank Debbie V
Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel itself is nice -- a typical Hampton Inn. Not much on front desk service (varies widely depending on who was on the desk -- and we had to ask for water; never got our snacks.) but the breakfast area was clean; enough choices there too.

The room was large with a king size bed, refrigerator and microwave. No view -- as it's in an industrial/highway area. Considering it is near the various highways, the room itself wasn't bad noise wise although we could hear our neighbors coming and going.

So, I'd say this is a good business venue with one caveat. Nothing is really near by. And it's hard to get to at first until you learn all the back roads and the constant weaving aorund of I-35, Ben White, and the side feeder roads. So you'll want to go to dinner before you get back to the hotel as once there you just won't want to venture out again into Austin's traffic.

So Co area for funky shops and restaurants is a lot closer than you think...and you can go there without taking I35 if you research the back roads. Only took us about 15 minutes.
But plan for rush hour traffic and back ups on I-35 every time you venture out from the hotel -- one of the downsides....

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade or at least a high floor and to be as far away from I-35 as possible...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
dddaustinmgr, Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your trip to Austin. Glad to learn you liked our hotel. As you know, Austin is a very busy city these days with all that comes with that. For those who are unfamiliar with our area, we like to refer the Onion Creek Grille pasta kitchen across from us for a nice dinner. Sounds as though you found the interesting So Co area and enjoyed some of Austin's cool spots. We hope you will be back to stay with us again, and let us share some other local fun places and less traveled routes. We appreciate your review.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this Hampton Inn a week ago for a night. The service was great, Marina was so warm and friendly at check in. Breakfast was also surprisingly good. Several hours after we checked out and returned home, I realized that I'd left my engagement ring and wedding ring in a cup next to the sink in our hotel room. I called in a panic and less than an hour later, my ring was safely in the locked safe in the manager's office. The next day they over night mailed it back to me.

I can't tell you how grateful I am to Marina and the staff at Hampton Inn. Their honesty and willingness to help me really puts them head and shoulders above the rest.

As a side note I also like that they wash the top blanket. No comforter that has seen dozens of vistors without a wash! The bed felt clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amymharris
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Although it was a new hotel, it felt like it had been there a while. the room was very comfortable and the layout of the room worked very well.

The staff was very responsive and helpful.

Great job!