“HH rules.”

Ranked #65 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Brownsville, Texas, United States
“HH rules.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I'm a returning customer to this hotel. Never had a bad experience. Excellent!!! We enjoyed the king size bed and its layout. My only recommendations is to add breakfast options for person(s) who are on a specific diet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank R S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is an excellent choice for this category of hotel. It isn't the Ritz, of course, but a reasonably priced, clean, fairly modern hotel. The bedding was nice and new and fresh. The duvet appeared to be freshly laundered. The bathrooms were clean and well kept. Carpet pretty clean too. The lobby and breakfast areas very well kept also. Breakfast is what you expect...decent food to get you going in the morning. I ate the oatmeal with almonds and raisins. The eggs were so-so, but again, not terrible. Staff was all very friendly. They had varying degrees of knowledge of the surrounding area and what you might want to do. But all tried to be helpful. It is close to the airport and there is a complementary super shuttle to and from it. It is also close to downtown and many other attractions. I was surprised at how bad the traffic was in Austin so I would make sure you have a hotel that is sort of close to where you need to be each day. But if you want to be in South Austin I highly recommend it here. Hope this helps!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Debbie V
Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel itself is nice -- a typical Hampton Inn. Not much on front desk service (varies widely depending on who was on the desk -- and we had to ask for water; never got our snacks.) but the breakfast area was clean; enough choices there too.

The room was large with a king size bed, refrigerator and microwave. No view -- as it's in an industrial/highway area. Considering it is near the various highways, the room itself wasn't bad noise wise although we could hear our neighbors coming and going.

So, I'd say this is a good business venue with one caveat. Nothing is really near by. And it's hard to get to at first until you learn all the back roads and the constant weaving aorund of I-35, Ben White, and the side feeder roads. So you'll want to go to dinner before you get back to the hotel as once there you just won't want to venture out again into Austin's traffic.

So Co area for funky shops and restaurants is a lot closer than you think...and you can go there without taking I35 if you research the back roads. Only took us about 15 minutes.
But plan for rush hour traffic and back ups on I-35 every time you venture out from the hotel -- one of the downsides....

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade or at least a high floor and to be as far away from I-35 as possible...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
dddaustinmgr, Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your trip to Austin. Glad to learn you liked our hotel. As you know, Austin is a very busy city these days with all that comes with that. For those who are unfamiliar with our area, we like to refer the Onion Creek Grille pasta kitchen across from us for a nice dinner. Sounds as though you found the interesting So Co area and enjoyed some of Austin's cool spots. We hope you will be back to stay with us again, and let us share some other local fun places and less traveled routes. We appreciate your review.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this Hampton Inn a week ago for a night. The service was great, Marina was so warm and friendly at check in. Breakfast was also surprisingly good. Several hours after we checked out and returned home, I realized that I'd left my engagement ring and wedding ring in a cup next to the sink in our hotel room. I called in a panic and less than an hour later, my ring was safely in the locked safe in the manager's office. The next day they over night mailed it back to me.

I can't tell you how grateful I am to Marina and the staff at Hampton Inn. Their honesty and willingness to help me really puts them head and shoulders above the rest.

As a side note I also like that they wash the top blanket. No comforter that has seen dozens of vistors without a wash! The bed felt clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amymharris
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Although it was a new hotel, it felt like it had been there a while. the room was very comfortable and the layout of the room worked very well.

The staff was very responsive and helpful.

Great job!

John Villanueva - OfficeMax

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one week (and am about to for another week). During my stay, they were remodeling and the quality of the hotel improved in noticeable ways. Overall, I was happy for the price paid. I wish the rooms had ceiling fans, though!

Every interaction that I had with the staff was exceptional and the little details really make a difference. For example, I forgot my toothpaste and they provided a complimentary travel-sized tube instead of the typical sample packet.

Of note, if you decide to use the fitness room, make sure you turn on the air conditioning system first. The room has no other ventilation and the A/C is off by default.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BJWipp
PA
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here during the weekend of the 26th of January. It was a little difficult to get too, probably because I am not from the area, flew in from PA for a wedding. It had a nice lobby but the rooms were definitely old and outdated. They were clean and up to Hampton standards but you expect more when you are staying with Hampton as far as getting an updated room, I've stayed at other Hamptons and I've had much nicer rooms for the price I paid. The breakfast was ok, their is a Ihop across the way that had great service and their food was great. The service was good though, the front desk lady was nice and check out was a breeze. The only thing is the gentleman at the front desk never asked me how my stay was, considering I had stayed there for 3 days. It is close to the airport only took me about 10 to 15 mins to get there and downtown Austin is about the same depending on how bad traffic is. Would I stay here again? Probably not, it did have a nice location but for the price I paid I expect more

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IanIS250
dddaustinmgr, General Manager at Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you lanlS250, for taking time to let us know how you felt about your stay. Sounds as though the staff was lacking a little on hospitality. Please accept our apologies. That is not the way we want to be remembered. We are glad you were pleased with the cleanliness and our location. We in the process of upgrading our fitness center, adding new carpets in the rooms and corridors, finishing the business center and breakfast area. I hope you will return so we can show you a better value, and that we are worth another look.