“Nice hotel, but bad cleaning service and follow up from manager.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin-Arboretum / NW
Ranked #10 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our family loves staying at Homewood Suites especially the 2 bedroom suites- makes it much easier for a family than having 2 seperate rooms. Tony in the breakfast area was delightful- making sure everyone had what they needed. Yummy breakfast tacos on Saturday morning! Unfortunately we had a problem with the room being cleaned. We had our do not disturb sign on until 11 am. We then took it off and left for the day assuming the rooms would be cleaned. We returned at 5 pm to change for our evening and someone came by right as we got to our room to ask if they could clean our room then. We told them we had just gotten back and that we needed to change. We asked them to return in 15 minutes after we had changed. They told us they were leaving for the day. We called the front desk to ask why the rooms had not been cleaned before 5 and were told it was because our do not disturb sign was on the room. We know for a fact that it was taken off at 11 when we left for the day. We were told the staff would be leaving and would not be able to clean our room that day, but that we would be able to talk to the manager the next day about a discount for the problem. The next day however we were told the manager doesn't work on Sundays. So no discount... and no one has tried to call us to resolve the problem either. It is now Wednesday and I just called the hotel and was again told the manager wasn't there- at 4:45? When is the manager there? Frustrated that this situation has not been handled properly.
Also, the exercise room is a very small room with the only door leading to it from the outdoor pool area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
GMHWSRR, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin-Arboretum / NW, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Through this type of communication we are better able to identify strengths and weaknesses within our operation. We pride ourselves on being able to provide the most comfortable of accommodations and superior customer service; we failed you in this endeavor.

Your experience has provided a valuable training tool for our staff as we work to be better everyday. I never received communication from my staff that you were trying to reach me or the challenges you faced getting housekeeping service. I am on call 24 hours a day and I have reiterated to my staff the importance of providing my personal contact information to guests who wish to speak with me if I am not on property; I was driving the shuttle when you called on Wednesday. Communication is paramount to the success of our operation and we are evaluating the procedures we have in place.

It would be my pleasure to provide complimentary accommodations during your next trip to Austin.

I am especially thankful for the comment specific to Tony. She is a fabulous breakfast host and truly makes you feel like you are in your favorite Aunt's kitchen.

Safe Travels.

-Matt Russo/General Manager

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Upon arrival, we were surprised by the small size of the suite... And the fact that our air conditiner did not work. To be fair, though, the room was clean and comfy (after the AC was fixed). we slept well, and the breakfast we delicious, attended by Toni, the best breakfast person ever - what a great asset to the staff!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
MattR_946, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin-Arboretum / NW, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

M Charles F thank you for your response. Your profile indicates that you are certainly well traveled; thank you for taking the time to write a review. The two absolute controllable variables in our operation are the Guest Service that we provide and the Cleanliness of our accommodations. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and offer my sincere apologies that we did not catch the air conditioner challenge before your arrival. Safe Travels.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I don't normally feel compelled to write reviews, but I really felt that the service I received at this Homewood was exceptional. The staff are super friendly and the rooms are clean, comfortable and very homely. Breakfast is amazing and coffee is literally on tap. I wish all hotels were this good!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JamieI871

Hello Jamiel871! Thank you for staying with us while in Austin. We know that there are many hotel options availble in our fine city; we feel privileged to have had your business. Friendly, Professional Service is exactly what we strive to provide to each and every one of our guests. I would certainly agree that a full American breakfast with a cup or two of great coffee is the best way to start the day. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Austin. Safe Travels.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in a double bedroom suite. the rooms are very large and the beds extremely comfortable. Free dinner is a nice touch and really adds to the value of the room. Pool is small but nice and very few people use it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ysa2006
kgoldin, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin-Arboretum / NW, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

We are always thrilled to get a great review from our guests! We have a passion for customer service and truly appreciate your business. I'm glad that you enjoyed our dinner and social time while staying with us. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Austin.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for 6 nights. Chose it as they offered a free shuttle to a company I was visiting on business. Since I was without a car, the challenge was mostly eating out. I did have a dinner at hotel but the food wasn't too my liking. I did appreciate free beer and wine with dinner:). Breakfast was served every morning and I'm sure some people enjoyed it, but I found it lacking in healthier options. Having a whole grain or whole wheat bread and bagels would be a lovely addition.
In every other sense, this hotel was a great option. It was clean, nicely furnished, comfortable bed, had complimentary wi-fi and a great, great staff! Everyone I encountered was most friendly, and especially Anat, guest services manager who I spoke to on a few occasions. I also was offered a free shuttle to a nearby shopping area after I mentioned I'd like to do some shopping....This was a very nice gesture and I appreciate this place that much more.
Overall, this is a very nice place to stay! If you have a car (most people did) you can easily get to wherever you'd like, but if you don't you're still not completely stuck since they will help out as much as they can to get you places.

Room Tip: didn't have any issue with my room at the time of my stay. The pool can't be used prior to 8...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive review! We take great pride in our customer service and are genuinely pleased when a guest has a memorable experience with us. Thank you as well for your feedback in regard to our breakfast items; we welcome suggestions on how we can better serve our guests. Our complimentary shuttles service allows us yet another way to interact with our patrons - thank you for taking advantage of this service.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great hotel. Clean, comfortable, friendly. Location near the shops at the Arboretum was also a plus.

Room Tip: The room we had was fine. I don't think it matters. It was quiet, clean, comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael S
kgoldin, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin-Arboretum / NW, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Michael S,

Thank you for your positive, concise, review of our Northwest/Arboretum property. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay in the hotel and take advantage of some of the nearby attractions as well. It is great to be so close to so much shopping and so many restaurants and the area is still expanding! We look forward to having you and your family return to stay with us again in the future and would be more than happy to give you some insight on some other great things to do nearby.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We booked a 2 week stay here, and everything was great! The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable, and the grounds were spotless, and house keeping was thorough. The food was just excellent.....the evening hostess was amazing, and so very nice. She made sure the food was put out on time, so people weren't waiting, and she even cooked homemade meals. The lasagna was my favorite...I must have gained about 15 pounds on the trip...lol. The breakfast was also good....especially the blueberry scones, I have never had hotel food that delicious. The breakfast hostess wasn't as nice or punctual as the evening hostess, and seemed to always have an attitude. She had people waiting at least 10 minutes every morning for certain things, and these are people who had to make a commute out to work, and every minute counts. The rooms could use more electrical outlets, but overall a great hotel, and I would stay again!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vacationNikki

Hi vacationNikki, I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed your two week stay with us! We love to be a home-away-from-home and of course, nothing reminds someone of home like a good home-cooked meal. Claire, our evening hostess/cook/Superstar has been with us for over 5 years now and we would be lost without her; she brings so much passion and happiness that it ends up rubbing off on everyone around her, for both our team and our guests. I am sorry to hear that the experience you had at breakfast did not hold that same positivity and I can assure you that it was an exception rather than a rule and has since been corrected. The next time you are in town, please give us a heads up and we will make sure to get you set up in one of our clean and comfortable suites, along with an extra power strip so you have enough outlets! Thank you for giving such an honest and thought-out review of the Homewood Suites Austin NW/Arboretum!