“Only for Convenience”

Ranked #74 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Lubbock, Texas
“Only for Convenience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2006

Stayed at the Homewood Suites, South - Austin, TX as a matter of convenience to the airport. The hotel itself is very nice, well kept, clean, and comfortable rooms. My only complaint is that there is no place nearby to eat. Of course there's your typically fast food locations, but that's about all. If I were to travel to Austin again, and chose a hotel for airport convenience, I would probably stay at the Airport Hilton - which is located on the airport grounds.

• Stayed July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Lifeontheroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Orange Co., California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2006

We stayed at the Homewood Suites over Easter weekend, in a two-bedroom suite. There is much to love and there are some things to hate about this hotel.

With our two kids we had plenty of room, there was a nice kitchen. Complimentary popcorn in the kitchen. The beds were comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet each morning, also, a computer in the lobby offered access to personal e-mail for free. The staff attended to a tear in a blackout curtain promptly. The room furniture was nice. Parking was convenient. The location was very convenient, at the intersection of highway 71 (an east-west freeway) and I-35, the main north-south corridor. This location is particularly good if you need to also go to San Marcos or San Antoinio while you are visiting. The cable TV had abundant children's channels and no previews of adult entertainment. The living room TV had front jacks for a video game or digital camera.

Now the cons. The air conditioning was extremely noisy in both rooms. The units were in the wall but were as noisy as window units. One of our two bathrooms had poor water pressure and the grout around the tub was black in one area. That same tub's stopper would not completely seal, leaking out water during a bath. It looks like the hotel had a makeover but not a remodeling - in other words, the tubs and plumbing are original, and the areas where the calking meets the flooring are cracked and dirty in places. Our carpet and kitchen wood floor were dirty and sticky.

We felt this was a great hotel that was rather poorly maintained. If you are picky, you will be disappointed. If you are not, the breakfast buffet, complimentary happy hour drinks and snack (on week days), good beds, free e-mail access, and many other touches may make this a good bargain. Particularly if you have two or more kids and need a two bedroom suite, this would make a good choice. If you are a business traveler or one looking for a Hilton upscale location, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank TiredParentof2
Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2006

I'm a fan of Homewoods and this is another example of a nice business hotel which isn't luxurious, but is perfect for a short or extended stay.

Room was nicely decorated and very clean and well-stocked.

A couple of minor issues to be aware of: There's no ice machine, except in the freezer itself and you have to take some time making it. I went downstairs to the kitchen area and was able to steal some from there.

The service was adequate at check-in, but I got the feeling from the clerk that I was interrupting something much more important when I checked in at 8 or so on a weeknight -- mind you, there wasn't another soul around.

This hotel is buried in one of those woodsy hotel/business parks -- behind the Omni -- in Austin and isn't easy to find. It's at a major intersection on I-35, but there's a lot of confusing flyover ramps. Find the Omni and drive around to the back and you'll find a handful of similar hotels and the Homewood is back in there. Would stay again, but wouldn't rule out other Austin hotels.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank ButchKin
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2006

The hotel's service was the worst I have ever seen. I am not one that has high expectations for service or demands a lot of attention when I stay at a hotel. But I do expect basic customer service. This hotel could not even provide the basics.
When we arrived and went to check in there was no one at the desk. We waited for over 10 minutes, we rang the bell, said hello repeadedly, no one responded. The desk clerk seemed angry that we had bothered her. She was curt and barely spoke to us. No Hello, welcome, nothing. Staff was almost nonexistant during our stay.
Cleanliness- there were beer cans on the concrete by the front door that sat there for 3 days!! On New Years day, we went to get on the elevator- it was pitch black- no lights. You were immersed in total darkness for the ride. We reported this to the a staff member at the front desk and she said simply- "I know". There were also 4 or 5 beer bottles and other trash in the elevator corners on this same day. I also mentioned this to her. Her reply was "Housekeeping will take care of it". Never was there a comment like " I'm sorry, we will take care of that".
After seeing the same trash in the elevator all day and being plunged into complete darkness everytime you rode the elevator, we decided it was time to check out.
We told the staff we were checking out 2 days early. When I went to check out, No one ask why we were checking out, just gave us the bill. In fact, when we went to check out the desk clerk was busy talking to some girlfirends who had camped out on the sofas in the lobby, no sooner did she hand me my bill when she turned away from me and said to her girlfriends,"Now where was I?" I could not believe it!!
Never have I encountered such poor service at a hotel or ever seen such rude and unprofessional staff! Its a shame about this hotel because location is good and the room was well equipped.
We checked out and went across the street and we stayed at the Omni Hotel. Which had great service. Avoid this hotel, there are too many other ones in the arear that can offer a better stay.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2006

I stayed at the Homewood Suites for a month on a job assignment. I couldn't have been more pleased. I was extremely impressed with the quality of customer service and look of the hotel. I had a suite with a king bed separated from the living room/kitchenette by french doors. I was on the 4th floor with a beautiful view of the pool below.

There was a tv in the living room with a VCR as well as one in the bedroom with video game capabilities. The kitchen was fully stocked w/ pots/pans/silverware. I had my own full-size fridge, stove and microwave.

When I left I mistakenly forgot my purse in the nightstand. Fortunately, I had all my ID and credit cards on me, but the hotel was kind enough to ship my purse to me free of charge. And being me... a couple days later I figured out that I also had left my digital camera charger there as well and they were also able to ship that to me. The staff was extremely helpful and I can't thank them enough.

The only complaints that I have would be that twice I had GIGANTIC flying crickets in my room. When I called the front desk they sent someone up immediately. However, my associates staying at the hotel had repeated problems with this. Also, housekeeping was very good about keeping things clean, except they didn't vaccum the entire 23 days that I was there.

Other than that everything was perfect. I would recommend staying here again.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank sapateif
Province of Alicante, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2005

A good, reasonably-priced motel, which is comfortable and homely, but what sets it apart is the caring management. Not knowing what there was to see and do in Austin, we sought advice from the General Manager. Elizabeth, couldn't have been more helpful. Using the Internet, she found out that Willie Nelson was doing an additional concert at the end of his road tour and helped us to get tickets that night. She also advised us to see the state capitol building and the warehouse district and to take advantage of the local trams to shuttle yourself around the downtown area. She even gave us advice on what route the taxi should take because of the traffic congestion, and to top it off, found out what movies were on show locally. As for the motel itself, the rooms are spacious and well furnished, and the kitchen was well appointed; everything you need for self-catering. But of course, from Monday - Thursday, there is a Manager's Reception, where there is hot foot and beverages (even wine) available as part of the room package, so you don't actually have to cook. Breakfast too, is a little bit special. You can't go away without trying one of their freshly-baked muffins; they're scrumptious!

3 Thank Tarasque
Texarkana, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2005

We paid $89.00 a night for a king deluxe suite with a bedroom separated by French doors. The den was large with a full size sofa bed. The kitchen included a full size fridge, a stovetop, microwave, and a dishwasher. Also, a washer and dryer are onsite. Our first floor room had a 1/2 bay window in the bedroom and a huge window in the den that both overlooked the beautiful landscaping outside. All areas were clean and nicely decorated. I35 and other main highways are 1 minute away and downtown is very easliy accessible in 5-10 minutes. The free breakfast was hearty, and weeknights include a free dinner. Our family of 5 was perfectly comfortable!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business