“Bad service, not a good business hotel”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South
Ranked #67 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I stayed here for one night in June, 2009 and would not recommend this hotel. To begin with housekeeping did not change the half used shampoo bottles (pretty gross, huh?) from the previoius guest and after calling the front desk three times over an hour and a half period --- each time was "greeted" by NICKIE-- she could honestly care less that I had no shampoo. Also, I am a HHonors Diamond member and there was no Diamond amenity in my room.

The service at this hotel is very low end and this Nickie woman is a total joke. I would not stay here again and would recommend that you stay away.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 14, 2009

We spent four nights at the Homewood Suites and overall had a great experience. We had the two room suite for five adults, a preschooler and a baby. We were in town for a wedding in Kyle, TX but were also wanted to spend time in Austin. This was a good location for us that was centrally located. The service at the hotel was very good with any of our questions answered promptly and a request for a bathroom fix immediately fulfilled. We particularly appreciated the daily hot breakfast. The food is not stellar but with small children, this is a big cost savings and allowed us to breakfast easily and quickly after the kids woke at 7am. A couple things to note: the two bedroom suite does have two bathrooms but these are only accessible by entering the bedrooms which can be inconvenient with sleeping children. Also, the rooms are on the smallish side. We have stayed at a number of suite hotels and this particular location definitely had the smallest amount of square feet per room. We were able to compensate by using the downstairs couches more with our big group. Finally, Homewood offers a complimentary grocery shopping service. It might be worth calling ahead to see if you could fax a list ahead of your stay to have the room stocked before your arrival.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Excellent customer service, we asked for places to eat/drink. (Nikki was especially helpful :)) Had complimentary breakfast each morning, the hot foods were just ok, but bagels, cereal and coffee were excellent. Also had "happy hour" at night-beer was foamy, but tasted fine after you let it sit. They had both red and white wine-not sure how that was. The food at night wasn't too hot-spaghetti wasn't cooked enough, wings tasted overcooked. Other than the food, the rooms were great! No complaints about the bed, as others have written in. Very clean room, shower pressure was decent. Pool is open year-round, yet was dirty-guess no one really uses the pool in Feb. There were two computers with internet free for use in the lobby (i think the printing was free too). Should've checked out the fitness center, but never did so I can't comment on that. haha

If you're up for a party, 6th street is where it's at. Only 15 mins from downtown!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Newer hotel with clean rooms and friendly people. Fitness center is modern with a tredmill and a couple of stair climbers and bike + some free weights. Hospitality hour had foamy bud draft and some pretty good wings. Breakfast was hot (and cold) and was very busy. Overall a great stay - location is middle of nowhere but only 10 minutes to downtown.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Stayed in a two bedroom suite for 2 nights with business associates. The lobby is nice - the front desk clerks (especially Nikki) were more than friendly and and helpful. The evening meals and breakfasts were great. The room was nice - had one bedroom with a king bed and one wth two doubles. As many of the other reviewers stated, this hotel is very clean. Some of the best housekeeping I have encountered and I travel a lot with my job. Water pressure for the showere was good.
My only complaint was the bed/mattress. It was very hard and not very comfortable. I stay at Homewood Suites when I can and some that I have stayed in recently have updated their mattresses. This one hasn't. Even though I really liked everything else at this hotel, I probably wouldn't stay here again because of the uncomfortable bed.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2007

I liked this hotel because it was clean. The room including the bathroom was really clean. This is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed. In addition to that, the bathtub drained really fast, so I didn't have to stand in a pool of cold water during shower.

The breakfast was okay.

I will definitely stay in this hotel if I am in the area.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 123Tx
Reviewed December 12, 2006

I stay at various hotel chains all over the country, averaging over 170 nights a year. It has been some time since I have stayed at this property, but I did have positive experiences in the past.

How do I say this: this property is very well run. The night man at the front desk remembered me after over 14 months. The entire hotel has no odors, or chemical masking smell. The hotel and room are very clean, spotless really. The AC worked perfectly. (I write this as I sit in a hotel room with a busted AC unit)

There was not one stain on the carpet, on any wall or counter. There were no stray hairs, eyelashes or nails. All the paper was filled and of high quality. I almost never eat any hotel breakfast; they all taste the same to me. I went downstairs to get a cup of coffee, and I got roped into a great free breakfast.

I wish four and five star properties were as perfect as my last stay at this Homewood Suite. There are no chain restaurants to walk to, but if you are looking for a nearly impeccable hotel, this is it.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank UpgradeMe1