“Great family stay!”

Ranked #69 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Texas
“Great family stay!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here during UT graduation. Busy hotel, but they seemed to have it under control. The rooms were clean, spacious enough and the sitting area was a decent space. Really, the only thing I might have added is it would have been nice to have the ice bin full. Temperature control was good, could monitor all 3 rooms. Only slight negative was breakfast the next morning. The staff seemed to not notice we were there. I had to wait several minutes to get a staff member to move out of my way to get coffee. She acted like I did not exist. Sad. Other than that, hotel was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
b4ebeth, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for your review of your stay with us over UT graduation weekend! This is indeed a busy time of year for Austin and our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your comments with the staff. I wanted to take the opportunity to let you know for your next visit, if you need anything, please just ask! Our staff is always able to assist you. Due to health regulations, we are not able to keep the ice makers full; however, we can help you find some! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Elizabeth Jackson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We found there to be ants in our bathroom and on the bedside table in our suite... On the walls, as we looked, the more we found. The property was not full, so we were able to move.

The night staff when we checked in seemed to give us a lukewarm welcome when we arrived, but the day staff were very nice, and apologized for the ants.

Compared to other Homewood Suites, similar properties where we have stayed in many states and on numerous occasions, this property does not hold to the same standard.

Food at breakfast was limited to some pre-made "sausage egg cheese English muffin" sandwiches, hash brown patties, clearly from a frozen pack, heated (slightly), over-cooked oatmeal, mixed melon fruit salad, and the usual array of bread and packages of cereal that you would find in a lower-quality establishment. Coffee was of the nature that it had been there awhile... Not good. To contrast, we stayed at a Frisco, Texas Homewood Suites who had freshly cooked, obviously not "open and heat" offerings.

Being a Hilton Honors member, means that I stay in these properties a lot of nights... We travel on business and for leisure... This place isn't horrible, just not up to standard. It is at least relatively clean but for the ants.

The fitness room was a poor excuse. There were two treadmills and an EFX cross trainer in a small room with a Precor universal machine, one Spry ball, a set of medicine ball type equipment - not ratio-wise plentiful for guests. A rather rude woman on the EFX informed me that the two people occupying the treadmills had just started and she had "at least" twenty more minutes. ...so much for gym etiquette. We stayed in a Hilton Garden Inn in the Denton, Texas area, with more than twice the equipment in a room three times the size. HGI's are a variation on the suites, without the meal and kitchen amenities, so this seems strange - skimpy comes to mind. Lack of investment...

The suites in this one are showing their wear - in ours, torn carpet and gaps in the floor molding between kitchen floor and carpeting, for instance.

Being this close to Downtown and the airport, this little moneymaker obviously needs a bit of capital re-invested to improve the facilities, the maintenance and the offerings to guests. I would not stay here again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank West_Tx_54
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and regret that you were not satisfied with the condition of your guest suite. The amenity offerings such as breakfast and the fitness center are followed by a brand standard; however, some Homewood Suites are built with additional square footage. We do have a great location and hope to have another opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to the area.

Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great place to stay while visiting a beautiful city. From check-in till the complimentary shuttle dropped us off at the airport, we sincerely enjoyed our stay. Great food for breakfast and dinner with complimentary wine and beer thrown in add to the great value!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Guitardo
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and our beautiful city of Austin! We hope that on your future travels, you will stay with us again.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently booked a room at this hotel due to having a meeting at this location one morning. I stayed in Room 221 and paid $188 after tax for the room. What a waste... For this price I expected much more. The room smelt moldy, there were lots of candy wrappers around the night stand and dead bugs on the bathroom floor. The only phone in the room did not work. The breakfast was below average. Even the water in the room taste bad.

I would have brought these things to management's attention but I was so tired I did not feel like having to change rooms.

The one positive thing about my room was that the bed was pretty comfortable.

My recommendation: there are other hotels on the same street and others close by. Look into those instead of here....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for recent stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I regret to hear that your stay with us was less than exceptional. I have shared your review with our staff. We are only able to improve through the shared experiences of our guests. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to provide any additional details. Your opinion is highly valued.

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I travel to Austin quite frequently, and this is always where I try to stay. Connie Ramos (Director of Sales) has always worked with me and any other travelers I bring along. The staff is so friendly and helpful, the rooms always clean and well suited for extended stays. When I checked in to my room this time, it was missing a few things (ironing board, corkscrew, and cables for the DVD player), I of course only discovered these things at different times, but each call to the front desk was met with enthusiasm and speed. The breakfast and manager's reception is quite lovely and offers a nice variety. The dining staff is very friendly and I have to say the food is pretty tasty also. The location appears to be out of the way, but with its close proximity to IH35 and Hwy 71, you can reach any destination quite quickly (barring rush hour). Downtown is only a few miles away, and the frontage roads provide a nice alternative when the freeways are backed up. All my future stays will be at this location.

Room Tip: High floors and away from stairwells to avoid outside noises.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. Connie is definitely an asset to our hotel and I am happy to hear that you think so too! I have shared your comments with our staff. Your opinion is highly valued and is the only way that we can improve. We look forward to having you on your next visit to Austin.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife, our adult daughter and I recently spent three nights at this Homewood Suites. The facility is a 'standard' Homewood Suites' .. the grounds are neatly presented and maintained. The facility is attractive and, it, too, is well maintained. We had a very satisfactory room with an adjoining bedroom. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. However --- during our stay, Austin had 1.5 to 2 inches of rain. We were on the top floor. My wife and I awoke at approximately 4am one morning to a shower (but not where we were expecting a shower). The leak was 'not fixable' -- and, the staff 'did the right thing'. The facility was quite full and they did not have a comparable room, so they found us another bedroom relatively close to the one we needed to vacate. We left feeling well served!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South and for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that overall you were satisfied with your stay. I regret that you were affected by the Austin rain and roof leak. We did have the roof repair crew out within the next few days; however, sometimes it takes a downpour to reveal the problem! I am sorry that this was the case for your stay, but I am happy that the staff solved the problem to your satisfaction. I appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We hope to see you again soon!

Houston
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We arrived late Friday, the front desk staff was very friendly and perky which helps after a long drive. They had our keys ready and quickly get us set up so we can go to our room and rest. The space is nice and huge, the fully kitchen does have everything and just having a full size fridge is a great help. The housekeeping was nice and does come back after you ask them to. They made sure we have new towels and soap and shampoo. Plenty of parking spots in well lit area at night, convenient and safe for guests. The down side is, this place is old and the rooms and hallways showed. Keep an eye on the towels, there were couple of times that the towels have stains on them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your stay with us! I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience on TripAdvisor. I would also like to take the opportunity to let you know that we are installing new hallway carpet this week! I hope that you will be able to enjoy some of our upgrades on your next visit. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. See you next trip!

Kindest Regards,