“Nice family stay in a real 2-bedroom suite”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South
Ranked #66 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Our family of 4 and traveling with 2 teenager friends of our kids stayed at this hotel overnight for a college tour and an outlet mall shopping. This is an excellent hotel for us and for this purpose because this hotel is located by I-35 in between our two destinations plus this hotel has real 2-bedroom suites, providing the privacy and space needed for 2 adults and 4 teenagers. The suite we stayed in has a bedroom with 2 beds and a bathroom. Then this 1st bedroom opens to a living room (which has a sleeper sofa though we didn’t use so don’t know if it is comfortable or not, a side chair and coffee table/ottoman) and kitchen (with a table and 2 desk chairs). On the other side of the living room/kitchen area is the 2nd bedroom with a king bed and a bathroom. 3 flat screen TVs total – one in each room. (Most hotels that we were looking for our stay have 2-room suites, so the layout is like a bedroom with 2 beds and a bathroom opening to a kitchen/living room with a sleeper sofa. Even though they can accommodate 6 persons, it doesn’t really give us much space or privacy like the Homewood Suites 2-bedroom suites). We didn’t cook during our stay, but we used the full size fridge to store some drinks and the kitchen sink/plates/knives for eating fruits (the lobby of the hotel has a couple bowls of apples, oranges, and bananas even outside the breakfast time, which is really great so we were able to snack on something healthy instead of something from a vending machine). The feature that sealed the deal for us is that this hotel is pet-friendly (we paid $75 fee for our 20-25# indoor dog for our stay) as we didn’t want to put her through the bigger stress of being boarded. The kitchen has hardwood floor and is small enough that we could block her off in the kitchen at night or when we were away while spacious enough for her (with her kennel under the table). The suite is modern and clean and does not have pet smell (so we believe that the hotel, as it should, puts the $75 fee to good cleaning after each pet’s check-out) which we were very happy about (we love our dog but she is well trained and not stinky so we aren’t adjusted to living with pet odor). Hotel serves good hot breakfast with plenty of fresh fruits, yogurt, and pastries. This is included in our room rate. There is also a Welcome Home Reception each Monday thru Thursday evening with drinks and a light meal. We didn’t get to take advantage of that, but we did see the daily menu calendar posted on the fridge in our suite and it offers a good variety each week. For examples, hamburgers w/potatoes & beans, chicken fajitas w/beans & rice, Salisbury steaks w/potatoes & corn, spaghetti meatball w/salad, meatloaf w/potatoes & corn on the cob, lasagna w/green beans, buffalo hot wings w/celery sticks, etc. So, the next time we stay and we are too tired after a long day of activities, we might just take advantage of the convenience of the evening reception. However, this location is also conveniently just 1-2 freeway exits from (traveling south but a not walkable distance) an eatery area which has Chili’s, Macaroni Grille, Twin Peaks, and a couple other restaurants. And, we must mention that, although the clerk answering the phone the day before our check-in was not helpful at hinting whether we would likely be able to check-in early or not, the clerk working when we did checked in was more than helpful at getting us check-in early (we did have to wait about 15-20 minutes for the suite to be ready; it was about noon when we were able to check-in, which was so helpful to us than the normal 3pm check-in given that we have our little dog with us). We also like that Hilton has e-Check-in so we could pick our own floor/location ahead of time. However, the website floor plan doesn’t match the actual room numbers at the hotel. So, the suite we selected on-line isn’t the location we selected even though the room # online and the room # at the hotel are the same #, but we didn’t mind either location was fine with us. Just wanted to mention that so those that are finicky about their room location would know that is a possibility! Overall: we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for your thorough review of our hotel and its amenities! I hope that you had a wonderful trip in Austin visiting the universities. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the accommodations exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Austin!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for six nights on a business trip to Austin. I had an almost perfect stay. The hotel is in a good location near the intersection of two freeways. The hotel has two-room suites with a combined kitchen/living room and a separate bedrooom and bath. My suite was very clean and there was daily maid service. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens and there were always plenty of towels. The kitchen was fully equipped with a coffee maker, two-burner stove, microwave, full sized refrigerator with ice maker and a dishwasher. The hotel serves a hot breakfast each morning and Monday through Thursday there is a manager's reception in the evening where they serve a hot entree as well as salad and bread. There was plenty of food if you wanted to make this your dinner. The reception also includes wine and draft beer. There is a small exercise room and pool. The hotel has a guest laundry but it only has two washers and dryers which were often in use.

The staff was very nice and attentive. I would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: I had a room at the end of a hall near the back entrance. I could see my car from the room and used...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I am happy to see that overall your stay with us was outstanding. I have shared your kind words with our staff and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Austin.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I give where the credit dues, clean room & great bed. However all that down to the drains, when I check out.

My credit card been overcharge, the hotel charge me 6 times, the receipt only shown 4 times.

I email the hotel, they only acknowledge 1 extra charges, oversee the other extra charge. I resend the email, after 3 days, still no reply.

I didn't expect this from reputable chains hotel. Total dissapointment.

Rather stay Residence Inn by Marriott next time, at least their services are warm, welcoming and cheerful.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your kind words regarding the cleanliness of the hotel. I regret to hear that you are having issues with credit card authorizations; however, I am aware that Lorilee has been assisting you with a resolution to this matter. If you need any further assistance, please contact me personally, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed at the Homewood Suites Austin South for one night during SXSW 2012 prior to moving to a Downtown hotel.

Check in was quick and easy. The person at the front desk was very friendly (as were all of the employees I dealt with).

The room was spacious, well appointed, and very clean. 2 TVs, comfortable bed, and sleeper sofa.

This hotel has both an included continental breakfast and a complimentary evening light meal with included beer and wine. We took advantage of both of these and found everything to be very tasty with plenty of choice.

It was a very good stay. If I am in Austin again I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2012

Thank you for your kind review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I am sorry to hear that you only had the opportunity to stay with us for one night! We hope that you will choose to stay with us during SXSW 2013 and look forward to seeing you again! Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed four nights in this hotel. Location is good for exploring the Austin area. Convenient to downtown but also areas surrounding the city. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff was very pleasant honoring an early check-in request. Front desk personnel were always friendly and helpful. Nice area for breakfast and the availabilty of an evening meal was a plus. Public areas on first floor recently redecorated. Business center available. Ample and well-lit parking area.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the inner courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kamainatraveler
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. I am happy to see that the staff was courteous and helpful. Your opinions are highly valued and appreciated in regards to our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to having you with us on your next visit to Austin.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Upon arrival, checkin was very smooth. We were very satisfied with our room. We stayed 2 nights, and after the 1st night we were expecting housekeeping to come thru but no one ever did. When we ran into the housekeeping lady, she said that she was told to clean the checked-out rooms first. We thought that made sense, plus she's right next door, how long could it take? We asked her to come by when she's done. An hour later, she was already done and moved on to another floor. While we don't care if the bed wasn't made, there were dishes but no dish cleaning agent. We needed towels, and of course none were given. When I went to the front desk, to ask, they told me the same thing that the housekeeping were to clean the rooms checked-out first. And again, I don't mind that, but when the lady said she'll come to clean our room, we were expecting her. Instead she vanished. The front desk gave us towels and dish washing detergent for the dishwasher. And we never saw the housekeeping again for the 2nd night.

While they may not be accustomed to handle a busy home-game weekend. There are other hotels in the area that can and did handle that volume. This is not the bang for the bucks I've seen or read. Don't think I'll be back.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
ejackson00, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Thank you for completing the TripAdvisor review regarding your stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I am happy to see that overall your stay with us was satisfactory; however, I regret that the service level of housekeeping did not meet your expectations. I have shared your review with our executive housekeeper. Please contact me at elizabeth.jackson@hilton.com so that I may get more personal information from you to review this incident. As one of our valued guests at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, your opinion is important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stove top? only one small burner worked. Dishwasher? didn't work, and if it did, you have to buy dishwasher soap. Disposal? didn't work. Sink was clogged with a horrible odor, couldn't clean because sink was not draining. Microwave worked fine. We had planned on cooking our Thanksgiving Dinner for the two of us. We came with all the food to cook, except we did have a pre-cooked turkey. Thank goodness for the Whole Food Store! in Austin on Lamar, it was open for a few hours on Thanksgiving Day. We ended up going there Thanksgiving items, and for the next few days. They say, USA Today delivered week days, not so. We got one the whole time we were there. And.... to top it off, we stay 4 days, and NEVER had our room cleaned. Had to ask, In Spanish, for all our needed towels. Asked why and was told our room was not scheduled. Was lucky, I could speak Spanish.
Would we stay again?, only if I could check out the kitchen first, and make sure appliances, and sink worked.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for completing the TripAdvisor review regarding your stay with us at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South. I regret that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations! I have shared your review and comments with the staff. If you have the opportunity to contact me personally at elizabeth.jackson@hilton.com or (512)445-5050. I would like to get additonal information so that I may further review the details of the incident. As one of our valued guests at Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South, your opinion is important to us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I look forward to hearing from you.

(512) 445-5050